SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coldsnap_5a

Where to plant Zephirine Drouhin?

ColdSnap 6A
3 years ago

Good evening all! I'm thrilled to pieces because I've gotten my hands on a nice healthy 2.5 gallon Zephirine that I'd love to plant by the front door. We live in a white east-facing Cape Cod, very symmetrical, yew hedges under the windows on both sides. Sun all morning plus some mid-afternoon sun after it goes around the big corner trees.

There's 3 feet of wall between the door and the windows on either side. My question is whether this area is wide enough for Zeph to grow? If necessary maybe she could cascade some over the yew but primarily I have a vision of beautiful pink sprays between the door and window. Possible? (In the close-up you can see the potted Zeph where I'm hoping to plant her, between a little euonymus ball and the yew. It's a complicated area - the hedges and window and an electric meter she'll have to arch over.)

We live in NE Missouri (6A). Will Zeph grow tall enough here to achieve this? The ground is two feet below the front door step and there is a flower bed on the other side of the walkway. So she'd be mainly visible from 2 or 3 feet up. I've seen photos where she looks to be a wide fountain with blooms to the ground. Is this her preferred habit and therefore unrealistic to try to train her tall and thin (8x3)?

Then there is my husband's worry: If she's not a repeat bloomer, then for 11 months of the year will she just be an unsightly bare thing occupying highly visible prime space in the front of the house? He's worried I'm setting myself up for heartbreak. I could always put her in the side yard (would have to move a giant Nikko Blue that never blooms) but this is the sunniest morning aspect. Plus I hate to waste her qualities of fragrance and thornlessness (totally thornless!) if she can be spectacular for us here. Sorry this post got long and thank you so much in advance.

Comments (3)