SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonnyt

kitchen counter update

jonnyt
3 years ago

We downsized to a smaller open concept condo several years ago. We are now ready to replace the kitchen counters and would appreciate advice with counter selection. The cabinets are Dover white and we want to keep the backsplash - it’s not a bright white or true beige. The walls through out condo are painted mindful grey. Where it is all open concept we do not wish to repaint. Any ideas of what counter style/color would work? We appreciate any input and thank you in advance

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I guess I need to know what is wrong with the counters you have.The backspalsh was not done properly to begin with and now you will have to keep that 4” piece of what ever counter you get since matching the tile will not happen. I dislike raised bars and even more in small kitchens but that would be an expense to cahng . IMO leave it alone.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

Personally? I would keep the counters - they look great with the cabinets - and ditch the backsplash, it just looks somehow not quite right in that space.

• Related Discussions

Laminate counter tops in otherwise luxurious kitchen? Any advice?

Q

Comments (97)
    I just had to post here...OMG...the lady that wrote Laminate and luxurious in the same sentence.."NO". I hope I never have to meet someone like you in my lifetime. What a bunch of snobby, snarky..people! I am sorry..I think you can have a beautiful, luxurious kitchen without paying for granite, quartz, soapstone...etc. My goodness. I am building a house now and get to hear from our subs about all of the snooty women that they have to deal with...literally walking out of a house because the closets aren't big enough... What kind of country have we become? I say..if you want to buy high end appliances...beautiful cabinets..and put it all in a laminate kitchen. I think it can be stunning! Don't listen to all of these snooty fruities.....do what YOU want..and the people that matter...won't walk into your kitchen and take a mental note of your laminate..I would think it was beautiful! And for those of you who think that I must be some low life...my husband is a doctor! There....rant over! :-)
    ...See More

Changing counter tops in kitchen with white cabinets

Q

Comments (37)
    I think the granite looks great: very classic and a big improvement over the tile! I'd definitely look into undercabinet lights. Before, the white counters reflected the ceiling light back up under the cabinets. The dark granite holds onto the light and makes the undercabinet areas a little cave-like. Lighting will make a big difference. I think the previous suggestions are excellent: painting the wall in the kitchen, along with finding some colorful accessories. I had a small galley kitchen similar to this one, and I was amazed at the difference a bright blue rag rug and a few blue dishtowels over the stove handle made.
    ...See More

What kind of kitchen counter-top is this; granite, quartz, glass?

Q

Comments (7)
    @Sophie, The more I look at Pyrolave, the more I think you're right. @Everyone, btw, in case anyone's wondering, this is Roger Ailes' home in Florida.. http://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/real-estate/g9229692/roger-ailes-palm-beach-house/
    ...See More

Updating countertops - keeping backsplash - raise the counters?

Q

Comments (3)
    Did you look at the Cambria edge profiles? They are available in different thicknesses. Another alternative would be to do a mitered edge. Probably more expensive than the plywood, but a more finished look?
    ...See More
  • jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you both for your comments. I agree the raised bar area is not ideal however it doesn’t bother me anymore since we eat at the table and I don’t have to look at the dirty dishes while we eat. I believe the previous owner added the backsplash after having the cabinets painted prior to selling and the counters were original, builder grade. I guess it’s the color in the counter we don’t like, bronze, browns
    If ditching the backsplash, what would be done in place of? I don’t think the grey paint would look good with the counters?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think if you want to refresh your kitchen, why not replace the counter and the backsplash. One idea I can think of, is to replace the bar counter with a beautiful wood counter with a thick edge. And then change the rest of the counter to anything you like that you think goes with the colors in the space. You can tile the back splash with anything you like that you think goes with the kitchen. And you're done. [g]

Galley Kitchen in 'Before/After' forum

acacia wood counters

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I guess I was trying to be cost conscious keeping the existing backsplash. We are currently redoing our bathroom and maybe once that is done I may consider a new backsplash in the kitchen. Thank you

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Okay, I'm usually budgeting as well. I'm not a professional so I can't really say if it's worthwhile to just replace the counter and keep the backsplash or if it would be better to wait and do both when you have the funds freed up after your bathroom remodel. Depends on how much the counter is bothering you. [g]. I definitely would not consider painting the backsplash area to save money. That would be a choice you probably would live to regret.

If it's bothering you a lot, you could go to a counter company, look at what they have, bring photos, including close ups of that backsplash area, and ask their opinion about what can be done, what is the best way to do it. See what it's going to cost. If you can live with it, you might feel less stressed trying to get the bathroom and kitchen done at once, too. It's really all about you and your family and what is going to make you happiest.

Also they have those kitchen designers at the big box stores. I've never used them, but maybe they might be helpful. Keeping in mind they are all trying to sell you something I guess. [g]

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

It depends on what your goals are.

What do you not like about the current counters? What do you want your kitchen to look like?

In my opinion, the 2 features hurting the kitchen the most are

1) The backsplash

2) The lights

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Interesting on the lights which would be an easy fix. But, what about the backsplash, what would I do in place of?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

For the lights I would add pendant lights across the peninsula. You can get a 3-in-1 strip. For the other light, I'd get a white track light that fades into the ceiling.

Many options for the backplash. I'd remove the 4" granite. You seem fairly transitional in taste, so I would recommend a simple subway tile.

Here is a kitchen I am currently designing, similar to yours......it features stacked subway tile.

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. Great idea

• calidesign
    3 years ago

If you want to keep the raised countertop, then keep the countertops you have and just replace the 4" backsplash and tile backsplash with new tile on the whole wall. The back splash is a very inexpensive fix compared to changing the counters, and will look so much better. If you want to change the counter to all one height, you will have a much more open kitchen and better usable countertop space. In that case, change the counters and backsplash. Either way, the back splash needs to be changed to remove the 4" piece.

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok, so I remove the the backsplash and 4” piece and replace with what? Colors more closely related to the granite ( I believe it’s called ubatuba)!
    Thank you for commenting

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the Actual color up close.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Could I see photos of the connecting room? Thanks.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

After seeing the actual brown color I understand why you want to change it. I would highly recommend honed Jet Mist granite. It is black with very subtle white swirls and very easy to care for. I'd change out the backsplash for a simple rectangular tile, maybe with a crackle finish, and definitely tile the entire backsplash as has been suggested.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I agree with Diana’s suggestion and have to say that if you go that far it’s really not that much more to just cut doe

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We actually looked at something very similar to what you suggested, thank you

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

Whoops hit send on accident....cut down the bar....

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think I was initially looking for a lighter counter but now thinking about the jet mist, thinking that would not be something I wouldn’t tire of. Since I have such difficulty putting things together, what color for a backsplash?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Personally, I love the close up of your counter top, and I like browns better with cream colors than black. But I do see that the close up color doesn't read brown in a photo of the whole kitchen. Not sure if that is because photos can do that or if in person it doesn't read brown either. And since it does read so dark and almost looks black as it is, I can't see replacing that stone with another black stone counter. Especially if you are on a budget. If you were going lighter or medium tones, I could see it. You might be just as happy to take off the 4" of stone backsplash and put in a nice tiled backsplash and be done with it. Who knows, you might decide later to replace the counter and by then your tastes may have changed. Unless you'd rather go lighter and replace the counter at the same time.

Have you gone to a store that carries counter tops and looked at what is available? You might find something you really like. You could take samples home to try out. Same with tile. There are SO many to choose from. And you can bring samples home of those too. You can also bring a drawer with you to show the salespeople and a photo of your counter so they can give you input too. They are experienced and used to advising people too.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

I found this in your ideabook. Is this your goal to have a a white kitchen? Most of the photos of the bathrooms as well, have white cabinets and white counters.

Projects start with inspiration photos. I would think through what you really want in a kitchen and wait until you have the funds to do it.

"After" 1980's Windham, NH Contemporary Kitchen Renovation · More Info

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. Yes, we’ve been scouring the stores in search of counters for the bathroom which we have finally found something. Seems as the Reno bug has hit my husband factored in with no vacation this year/Covid! While looking for the bath we started looking for the kitchen. The current counters are not my fav and then reading all the comments about the backsplash...needs to go, my husband mentioned he dislikes it as well! Being one that can’t make a decision especially when it’s a costly one, I decided to reach out for ideas. All of the feedback has provided me with some direction and ideas and I’m deeply appreciative to all that took the time to comment. Thank you

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

Regarding color for backsplash tile, you can't go wrong with an off-white that blends with your cabinets. Or for more drama, use a black tile with white/off-white grout.

Concord Avenue · More Info

2009 Southern Accents Showhome · More Info

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I smashed some perfectly fine granite counters so a lady could install concrete and I'm full of regret. Never again. Not for a billion dollars.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Hi. I find that many clients want to jump to final steps.

Design steps:

Find inspiration. What do you want your space to look like and function like? Make sure that these fit with the other rooms in your home.

Create a floor plan

These are steps that take awhile. Choosing elements like a backsplash, etc, are way down the line.

Example: if you are keeping the darker counter, how does that fit in with your home? Are there any other dark/black elements there or will this be an "odd man out"?

• acm
    3 years ago

? she has a light backsplash!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Thanks.....meant "counter"

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Consider you could use the same counter in the kitchen as one of the bathrooms. Often, a slab of granite has extra that could be used in one of the baths.

• Kaytee
    3 years ago

I like your lights. If you like them, one idea is to switch locations (if possible), The strip with the four small lights on it might look nice over the bar. The other light you could move or replace. I know raised bars aren't in right now, but they do serve the purpose of hiding dirty dishes. While your counters and backsplash are nice, sounds like you want to replace them. Decide on counters first, backsplash later. With your current floors and cabinets you have a lot of possibilities on color. Nice kitchen already.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Just use a warm white subway tile for the whole backsplash that coordinates with the cabinets. Or any simply shaped solid white tile.

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m amazed with all the feedback from everyone and more important, great ideas - you’ve given me a lot to think about but helped narrow down choices which is a blessing as I’ve been all over the place. Whatever we do in the kitchen we would definitely follow through in the downstairs half bath, use the same counter Again, thank you all so much for the time you’ve spent on my kitchen!

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m back again with another question about my kitchen-counters and backsplash. Diane Bier mentioned honed jet mist granite which I like very much. However, if I wanted to go lighter for a counter what is suggested? I’m a little concerned about changing out the current dark counter for another dark counter
    Any alternative counter ‘color’ suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I would go with a white counter with gray veining in it. I also think swapping your hardware would make worlds a difference.
    What did you do with the backsplash in the end?

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. We’ve not done anything yet. We will be finishing our bathroom then we’ll start with the kitchen after the holidays. Based on all previous comments we’ll also remove the backsplash. Just hoping to get some good ideas to help keep me focused and avoid making an expensive mistake. And from what I’ve been reading, I’ll take my time and live with the counters for a bit Before picking a backsplash

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I’m new to this thread lol so I hope I’m making sense. I agree with you completely to wait on the backsplash

I happen to loveeee Diana biers suggested backsplash
    Looking forward in following your remodeling!!

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you although I will say COVID has made shopping difficult

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

I'd get one of the whitish corian selections for the kitchen. I'd keep the higher bar and find a slab of walnut or such. The backsplash can be determined after. Clean up the lighting situation. Maybe two pendants over bar ...and canister lights in kitchen..and under cab task lighting. I would probably change the black hardware to brushed nickel. You can right away...start to source your piece of wood...get the lighting plan enacted and shop for the correct light corian . Your black and white theme is in conflict with your nice warm floor. You can make white feel warm with the softer corian or solid surface and the wood will be fabulous. In your kitchen.....because the U shaped task area seems quite large for a condo I would keep the height of the bar.... as it is another opportunity for seating and if you do something with material and pendants it will notch everything up aesthetically. Youll find the correct backsplash when you get more things determined.

• jonnyt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, great ideas. While I have limited counter space I’ve gotten used to the higher bar area as I don’t have to look at all the dirty pots while we eat. Lighting and hardware are a relatively easy change. Actually, I do have under cabinet lighting, just forgot to turn them on.