SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aleiana

Updating countertops - keeping backsplash - raise the counters?

aleiana ad
5 years ago

I live in a 15 year-old house. I like the way my kitchen functions and the oak and tile backsplash have grown back on me, but the laminate countertops are really getting on my nerves. I've talked to 3 countertop folks (two granite and one for Cambria) so far. They all asked if I wanted to keep my existing backsplash and I said yes. The granite folks said that because of the difference in thickness of my current laminate countertops (1 1/2") and the granite (1 1/4"), that I should have the countertops raised to close the gap between the new granite countertops and my backsplash. They are going to do this with plywood, which would cost $250, but would leave an unfinished edge under the countertop that they don't think will be very visible or I could stain (with a marker, he said?) to match my cabinets. Does anyone have experience with this? I can see under my countertop edge when I am sitting in the living room and a half-obvious discrepancy would probably bug me. I like that my current kitchen tile matches my fireplace which is on the other side of the living room.

P.S. I am not very handy. :(

Comments (3)