SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillpitpat

Rust-oleum: wait time before clear gloss?

stillpitpat
3 years ago

Hi all, I am painting my stand mixer and can't quite find one bit of info I need. I already cleaned, taped, sanded, and primed it. I am applying turquoise metallic paint tomorrow. I will do however many coats in takes about 3-5 minutes apart. I want to finish it with Stops Rust Gloss Clear Enamel, but when? The turquoise metallic paint says to apply 2 or more coats within a few minutes, or after 48 hours. Does the clear gloss "count" as another coat of paint? Do I apply it a few minutes after the last coat of metallic turquoise? Or do I have to let the metallic paint cure for a day or two? The instructions for the clear gloss don't address this. They just say to remove rust, sand, and wipe down the item. There is nothing about painting the item first.

Thanks for any help you can give. I am a spray paint novice and want to do this right. I inherited the stand mixer, and while I am glad to have it, it was off-white, and my kitchen (remodeled in 2018) is bright white, light brown, and turquoise, and the off-white just didn't work. I don't have the space to store the mixer, so I figured I would pretty it up and leave it out. I am excited to have a little bling in my calm and soothing kitchen, and I don't want to mess it up!

Comments (18)