SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trinityklm

Glidden's new Ultra High Gloss Trim and Door Paint--NOT happy

trinityklm
12 years ago

I'll start by saying this is my first experience with alkyd paint, so maybe my expectations were too high, but I am not happy with the results of this paint.

I decided to paint my front door, inside and out, black and liked the idea of a high-gloss shine. The door is metal and has a large arched window in it, so there isn't even that much door. I prepped the surface as instructed and brushed it on. The brush marks were terrible! It says right on the can "no brush marks". If I applied too thickly, it sagged, so I tried to go thick, but not too thick. The guy at HD said it levels out really nice, so I gave it time, but after 24 hours I could see every brush mark.

So, I decided to roll the next coat with a foam roller. First I had to cut in around the window, then I rolled. Fist of all, it splattered. And when it dried I could see all the cut in marks, and if I missed even the tiniest spot, like near the edges, with the roller, it's very obvious.

So, now it's been 24 hours and my door looks awful. Luckily, I only painted the interior side so far. I don't think I want to double down on ugly, so I think I'm going to go back to a semi-gloss latex paint.

The purpose of this post is two-fold: 1) Warn anyone else about this paint (I admit it could be user-error, but you should know my experience before you try it anyway); and 2) Do I have to wait for the alkyd paint to cure (30 days?) before I hit it with a primer so I can switch over to latex?

Comments (18)