SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_hawkins61

Stairway handrail placement advice

Lyndee Lee
3 years ago

After living here two years, it is past time to install a handrail from my main floor to the second floor. The space was originally a walk up attic that a previous owner converted to a master suite about twenty years ago. There has never been a handrail for these stairs and I need to determine how and where to put one.

My partner and I can install the railing but I haven't figured out a good placement. My original thought was to place it on the right wall but there is a light switch just about the same height as a standard railing. On the other side, the lower placement is easy but I don't see how to finish out the top placement. The newel post is the height for the upstairs hall railing, not for the stairs ending in a landing. If it matters, the door at the bottom closes against the bottom stair. The doorknob is only for looks as it is a friction fit closure, just requiring a slight push to open.

Any ideas on handrail placement for this space? For better function, the handrail probably should be on the newel post side. We are both right handed and the railing would be more useful for going down than going up.

Comments (6)