SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_154501749

Is my kitchen island too big?

B K
3 years ago

I wanted to get some opinions from everyone on our renovation to our kitchen. We are changing the island to a rectangular island. I have 2 plans (not sure how to upload pdf's) below the pictures showing the new island on top of the old one. The only difference between the two options is that one cabinet next to the sink is 18" or 24" wide.

I have increased the width between the island to 48" on the long side. The other width will be 41" or 47.5" depending on that one cabinet next to the sink. We know the door is angled and isn't the best option but i have seen many designs that have the angled door anyway. We'll live with it.

1. Is my island too big?

2. I'm assuming the increase to 48" width between the stove and island is a good idea?

3. Does the other side matter at 41" or 47.5"? It's not a specific working area. We may also get a counter depth fridge to help increase the space there.

4. What do people suggest for brackets for the overhang? Fancy wooden ones or hidden metal ones? Do i need to reinforce the cabinet piece that will have the bracket attached to it?

5. I left a 4" gap for plugs on either side of the island. Is it a good idea to put a wooden frame in that gap to help support the quartz?

Our kitchen island will decrease from 40.4 sq ft to either 33.7 sq ft or 31.3 sq ft.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (15)