SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivie_sparaco51

Space constraints in kitchen remodel with load wall. I need help!

Ana Ivies
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My kitchen is 12x15 with a peninsula that just blocks all flow, plus I have a huge lack of storage and counter space. Right now my appliances and cabinets are on an interior load-bearing wall because the outside wall has a huge window (that I am willing to close up and add windows elsewhere).

(photos attached)

I have had 3 kitchen designers tell me 3 different things. First one said nothing much could be done about the layout, and just wanted to flatten the bi-level peninsula.

The second one gave me a beautiful plan with a huge island but it only has 36" around it.

The third one would open up the living room load bearing wall which I would love, but worry my living room would then be too small turned the other way, and there would have to be posts on the island. Plus the two spaces attached to the kitchen would both be family/living rooms which may be weird.

The dining room has been converted to an office with built-in bookshelves that I would love to keep (I am a book publicist so they are all signed).

Would love some input!

The area on the left with the round mirror is a steel beam which cannot be moved, but that entire wall is load bearing.

The missing kitchen measurements: 12 feet wide, 15 feet from dining wall to peninsula overhang (red dotted line, also the end of the flat ceiling.)

This looks great on paper, but my kitchen is only 12 feet wide, plus it's still closed off to the living room and front door.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!