SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blaise_c

Question regarding central air intake inside home

Blaise C
3 years ago

I live in a 1200 sq ft one floor condo with two bedrooms. My central air unit is on my deck outside on the furthest left hand side of my unit and my bedrooms are on the opposite end all the way to the right hand side furthest from the unit. I have a 2.5 ton unit and I notice that when it’s 90-95f outside my living room stays coolest and rooms that are furthest from the ac outside unit are the warmest. During the day my master bedroom can get as hot as 77f. I get direct sunlight in my bedrooms and I have large windows so I installed 3m window tint film on them to block some light and it sorta helped but I sweat in those rooms still like crazy. I have only one 20x20 inch air intake at the top of my stairs with a 20x20 opening for the filter but i noticed that the actual air intake is on the floor of that opening and the air intake opening is actually like 20x5 inches because I have studs that block the rest is the opening and a closet built on top of the vent Very bad design. My question is, would an increase in the opening of the air intake create better air circulation and output by my ac unit, thus cooling my rooms better or should I get a 3 ton unit because my system can go up to a 3 ton unit? I can enlarge the air Intake if need be I just don’t want to cut anything if that wouldn’t help.

Comments (5)