SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonp_wi

Pellet Stove Intake Air Question

18 years ago

I recently purchased a Harman Pellet Stove Insert and will be installing it soon. (Accentra)

I have a couple of questions I am hoping for help with -

1) Does it really make sense to use outside air for combustion? I am in Wisconsin, which gets cold, but definitely isn't like Alaska. Also, my house is not very tight, so plenty of make-up air can be gotten from inside the house. I had my mind made up not to bother with getting outside air until I read the posts in here...I have heard both sides (that it takes more energy to heat cold air from the outside) and that it is more efficient to heat the air from outside because then you are not sending the warmed air up the flue. So, I am confused on this point and need some further evidence to go thru putting in an outside air intake.

2) If I do decide to go with an outside air intake, I could core drill thru the masonry to the outside (but the outside is the garage (unheated). Is it ok to do that rather than run a pipe all the way up my 2 story chimney? I've been told that its against code to do that (but don't understand why that would be if its for intake air and after reading about the guy who can do this underneath his mobile home.

Please help!!!!! And Thanks!

Comments (2)