SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_276746588

Is there a silt layer at all in my soil test?

Sara B.
3 years ago

Sonoma County, California here. I have been double-digging and amending all new flower beds all summer, and it has been back-breaking and takes forever. I decided to do a soil test. I assumed I had adobe soil which is common here, but the soil actually drains okay -- it's just super hard and compacted and also filled with rocks.

I wanted to be sure I shouldn't be adding sharp sand since I'm working so hard here, by hand, one square foot at a time, adding about 50% compost. Mainly I am amending it because it is so impossible to dig. Also, I'll be planting some bulbs soon.

So I did some mason jar soil tests, and the results 48-hours later don't show three layers? I see two, but I'm not sure? I marked the first one after a few minutes and figure that's sand. Should I let it sit for longer since the water is still cloudy? And is there a silt layer in here, or is it really just sand and clay?

Makes sense that it has more sand than I'd have thought. I live about 25 miles inland from the coast, and like I said, the soil drains better than you'd expect for clay (even in a foot deep hole, water doesn't sit for more than a few minutes).

But trying to figure out if I'm interpreting this right.

We do have adobe clay soil in this area, a.k.a. "heavy clay" which is used to make bricks, but not everywhere in the area. Maybe it is in my yard though. And if so, should I be adding anything more than 50% compost? Like perlite? I don't think there is a massive drainage problem, but maybe that's because of the huge number of rocks and pebbles. I just want my future gardening to be a lot easier than it was this year!

Here is the soil sample.

Comments (4)