SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom10418

Lawn Boy 8072 mower wont run

tom10418
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My Lawn Boy 8072 wont run. It will start after numerous attempts , but dies after a few seconds. This happened suddenly. Before that, when it DID run, it would speed up and then slow down. constantly.

New spark plug, I removed carburetor, needle valve is clean, float is clean, I sprayed throttle valve, it is free,new air filter. I tightened the mixture screw until seated, then backed out 1.5 turns. and made several .125 turn adjustments. No avail. I tested the dead mans swithch with a VOM. It operates correctly (open when handle depressed).

I suspect trouble with the throttle valve spring (governor?). If I'm quick enough, and hold the air vane, engine will continue to run, and at a steady speed. I thought the spring was strong enough (checked when I removed carb). How difficult is it to replace? I watched a video this morning, where the poster said to keep the air filter box attached to the carb, as it "is a pain" to re-connect the throttle spring.

Why would a spring become weak suddenly? I had a similar issue with my lawn boy snow thrower, but the governor spring actually broke. It was a lot easier to replace (regular spring, one end hooks into one hole, the other into another hole)

Ideas?

Comments (5)