What to do with the Zucchini your neighbor left on your porch yesterda

Martha Scott

Because yesterday was National Leave a Zucchini On Your Neighbor's Porch Day --

I made zucchini gratin but I was fortunate because none of those green vegetables ended up on my porch.

It's an Ina recipe and it is good!

I make it a lot in the summer and I'll even buy store zucchini in the winter to make it

Here's a link to the recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/zucchini-gratin-recipe2-1916945

SaveComment19Like1
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyjane_gardener

I left several very large zuks at the free table at the community garden today. Forgot it was LAZOYNPD! Which is amazing, cause it's our 46th anniversary of our first date! Watching Nixon resign!

Anyway, making lazy person's stove top ratatouille to go with lamburgers.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I like them on a skewer with red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and multi colored peppers. I season with basil and a light touch of olive oil before grilling.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

I like to slice them thin, and use a noodles in laZ[UCH]agna

Save    
Islay Corbel

My mum used to coat slices in flour and fry til crispy. I add parmesan to the flour and oven bake, spayed with a little oil.

Save    
Sooz

Our neighbors across the street gifted us with some zucchini, and we also had some zucchini ready to pick from our own garden (sleevendog, I'm growing zucchini!). I made zucchini bread posted by sheilajoyce_gw, who said the recipe was from a James Beard cookbook, and the recipe was from Carl Goh. It's DELICIOUS!

Click for recipe

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

In my opinion, baseball bat sized zucchinis are good for nothing except the compost heap--or the chickens or pigs if you have them. I love zucchini, but only want small, flavorful, tender ones.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

I like the small ones for sauteing or stuffing or roasting, the slightly larger ones are still good for zucchini bread and muffins and the big baseball bat sized ones can be peeled, seeded and used for zucchini candy if you have a dehydrator. I tried to find the pictures, but it was a couple of years ago, so I found it at "Harvest" https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/4828904/zucchini-candy#n=4

Just feeding the big ones to the cows and chickens is a lot less work though, and they love them.

Annie

1 Like Save    
chloebud

Martha, have you made Ina's Zucchini Pancakes or Vegetable Tian? I like them both, especially the Tian.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Martha Scott
Martha Scott

Chloe -- the vegetable tian is one of our summer go too and last week I had leftover tian and made a creamy soup out of it -- was it ever good. I just reheated the tian in chicken broth, blitzed it with my hand held blender and then added cream and reheated -- OMG good! But I have not tried the pancakes and I have another zucchini and think I will do that with it.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

That gratin looks yummy!

I like zucchini - and yellow squash too - simply roasted in the oven with some olive oil and salt.

Save    
chloebud

Martha, very clever with the leftover tian and blender! Yesterday I watched Ina make her Parmesan Roasted Zucchini. Simple but looked good.

Save     Thanked by Martha Scott
Martha Scott

Chloe -- I have made that

Save    
l pinkmountain

So yesterday I was shopping in kind of a bad neighborhood, and when I got back to my car in the parking lot, the rear window had been smashed! Someone broke into my car and left a zucchini on the back seat!!

Well ok in the original story it is supposed to be a banjo, but I couldn't resist!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Martha Scott
nancyjane_gardener

The baseball bat zuks were all gone from the free box as usual! What they do with them is not my concern!

I like a zuk fritter!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Martha Scott
Martha Scott

Nancyjane -- we live in Kansas where you grow everything BIG!!! (no veal, you raise BEEF, etc.) and for a long time at the farmer's market all they had was the really big zucchini! It took us a while to get the farmer's to realize that people will buy more small than they will big! I've seen a recipe for a pickle from the big ones but have not tried it and I also think some do grate them for bread and cake.

Save    
nancyofnc

Do try pickling the large zuke's - I've made them for years because they taste like regular cucumber pickles. Bread and Butter pickles are my favorite with lots of onions. peppercorns, and mustard seed with the usual white vinegar, canning salt, and sugar.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

I do grate and freeze some of the larger zuks for adding to soups, stews breads and muffins, but I'm running out of freezer room as I'm cooking freezable meals for my daughter and her wife when the twins arrive!

I find freezing the grated zuk in sprayed muffin tins, then bagging make a good amount to add to things.

Oh, BTW, I always check the next day to see if the super big zuks are gone from the free box and they always are. Otherwise I would take them home to put in my green bin.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I like Emeril's zucchini soup. Google it. Also, as mentioned before, the zucchini cake with Philadelphia Cream Cheese frosting is wonderful. Kind of like a carrot cake, and I have used baseball bat zucchinis to make either the cake or the zucchini bread with great success.

Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Emeril's soup sounds good. There's enough cream to make it tasty and reasonably caloric but it's not loaded with butter and cheese and a whole bunch of other stuff too to put it over the top

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Curb Appeal 7 Ways to Create a Neighborly Front Yard
Foster community spirit by setting up your front porch, paths and yard for social interaction
Full Story
Simple Pleasures The Art of Being Neighborly
Learn the heartfelt gestures that go a long way toward creating a welcoming community
Full Story
Fun Houzz Don’t Be a Stickybeak — and Other Home-Related Lingo From Abroad
Need to hire a contractor or buy a certain piece of furniture in the U.K. or Australia? Keep this guide at hand
Full Story