SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Zucchini "Candy"

annie1992
6 years ago

On the zucchini bread thread, Karen asked about the zucchini "candy" that I make. The grandkids love the stuff and they delight in offering bits to visitors and making them guess what it's made of. No one ever guesses, most people think it's fruit leather of some type. I currently have mixed fruit, dark cherry, cherry-limeade and sour green apple. I'm going to make at least one more batch, I'm waffling between blue raspberry (although I already have blue) or orange, which would give me another color. Or lemonade, which would give me an even greater contrast!

They're easy to make, they just take a lot of time in the dehydrator. Like 18 hours worth of time, lots of time. I'm also thinking of making smaller "bits", to use in muffins, but I'm not sure I'd actually use them. Maybe in frosting, or as sprinkles? I never make a single batch either, because I want to fill the dehydrator if I'm running it for that many hours. I always make a double batch, which will just about fill two quart jars when finished.

Zucchini Candy

10 cups peeled diced zucchini 1/2 inch cubes ( I use "worms" about 3 inches long and 1/12 inch thick and wide. The little dice would be good in muffins, though).

3 cups water

2 pkgs. unsweetened Koolaid

2 1/2 cups sugar

Peel zucchini, dice, removing seeds. Mix the liquid syrup together. Add zucchini. Bring to a boil and them simmer for 25 min. Drain. Put on dehydrator trays. Dry 14 hours at 125 degrees. Turn pieces over and dry another 4 hours. This will feel dry and not sticky when done. Store in jars or other tightly sealed containers. If you dip in sugar when you turn them, they will be more like "gum drops" on the outside.

So, one more way to use zucchini, and turn a perfectly healthy vegetable into "candy", LOL.

Annie

Comments (4)