hhireno

I’m curious about adult birthdays

hhireno
3 years ago

Do you celebrate your birthday?

Every year or just milestones?

How do you celebrate it?

With family? And friends?

Do you prefer intimate gatherings or large crowds?

Do you plan the celebration yourself?

Do you have any birthday traditions?

Comments (45)

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Do you celebrate your birthday? Usually just with DH.

Every year or just milestones? Milestones for us mean trips. 50 was Italy for him and the Cook Islands for me.

How do you celebrate it? Dinner out somewhere - sometimes special, sometimes not.

With family? And friends? Usually DH, we have no kids.

Do you prefer intimate gatherings or large crowds? I love parties, just not on my birthday. It's not that I'm unhappy about getting older, it's just not a big deal unless it's an excuse for a nice trip.

Do you plan the celebration yourself? See above.

Do you have any birthday traditions? No. We don't even do gifts anymore.

hhireno thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Yes we celebrate. Usually dinner out the two of us the day of. Dinner or dessert with family a different day. I have a couple of girlfriends that I get together with (individually) for lunch and my lunch bunch as a group celebrates bdays! So lots of celebrating. For a special bday, hubby and I both have winter bdays, so it’s usually a long weekend away.

hhireno thanked Tina Marie
  • Related Discussions

curious about conversations

Q

Comments (23)
    I prefer to keep my opinions to myself since I don't feel they contribute to impartial, mature, adult conversations in most cases. We each are entitled to our opinions, views & preferences. Sharing them might lead to friction and discord between posters which doesn't merit a place in my garden, either in its design or its contents. For those wishing for closer contact with others, there are other social media venues. I claim & value many friends met via GardenWeb but don't necessarily seek daily discourse with them. While many of us share a passion for gardening, perennials in particular, due to various demographic factors, there are those who don't share a common view of other events & influences that affect our lives. I'm guessing this isn't the venue that satisfies your need for more personal contact. Didn't mean to sound haughty, just being practical.
    ...See More

Adult Birthday Party Vent

Q

Comments (43)
    All parties are ultimations...be there or miss the party :) Come on now, that does not mean "be there or miss the party and I'll never speak to you again" it just means the party is on Saturday and I'd love to see you, but if I don't we'll see you another time. :) The party takes place on whatever date it's set. I wouldn't call that an ultimatim, but maybe that's just me. I too cherish time with girlfriends W/O kids. I rarely get it (two days to date since my son was born) so it's a big deal for me. Just last night I invited my bunco girlfriends to come down for a bunco retreat at our new house sometime. I'll be leaving them and would love to have them come visit, but I didn't offer to foot the bill. It didn't even occur to me. And as said above, had it been reverse, me being invited, I'd almost have been insulted to have someone pay my bill for me unless there was a logical reason (and friends traveling to a casual party is not a logical reason). I know that of the twelve ladies I invited last night that maybe six or eight will attend. They are busy, and timing is always a challenge, and perhaps expense as well, but I won't be offended if someone does not join us for the weekend. I just want to see my friends and enjoy sharing my new home with them...not much different than wanting to share a special weekend (birthday) with friends really :) and nothing to get upset about.
    ...See More

Curious About Your Projects and Updates.......

Q

Comments (45)
    Eleri Rose came into the world on 9/4 at 11:19AM at 8lbs 4oz. She is the 1st girl born into DH's side of the family for at least 2 generations so she will be spoiled. Her big brothers had planned to hide and live underneath their beds if they got a sister but they are very thrilled w/ her now. I got home Sun. & my house is remarkably in decent running order w/ the help of DH. He set me up w/ a lap top but it's not working right now. That just gives me more time to consider how to rearrange our LR! Projects never stop! That said, to make more room in the LR DH brought an old low steamer trunk down out of the attic to use as a coffee table in place of our giant round space consuming banana leaf one. I thought that it would be cool to mount industrial style wheels underneath to raise it a bit. Anyone know where I might try looking for some? Thanks so much for the pic. arrangement compliments! Can't wait to add this little one in!
    ...See More

I'm fairly new and was wondering about forums.

Q

Comments (45)
    The other night one of the regulars admitted that they just flagged anything they did not like. While supposedly it takes two flags to remove a comment last Friday it seemed like a post was barely there and it was gone. Currently there is a lag time between my hitting submit and my comments being posted. I am suspecting I am on the bad list as back when I worked at a certain place when people were being monitored there was also a delay. HT is not the discussion group that it was before about late 2015 and is more like a bunch of hounds baying at a fox sometimes.
    ...See More
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

Do you celebrate your birthday? Yes

Every year or just milestones? Every year

How do you celebrate it? Dinner out with DH and sometimes daughters

With family? And friends? I celebrate with friends too by going to lunch or dinner.

Do you prefer intimate gatherings or large crowds? Intimate

Do you plan the celebration yourself? For the milestones, yes. DH and I have reserved big trips to coincide with the milestones.

Do you have any birthday traditions? Not me, but my oldest started one where we take her out for her birthday to the same restaurant. Unfortunately not this year :(

hhireno thanked eld6161
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

Do you celebrate your birthday? YES

Every year or just milestones? EVERY YEAR

How do you celebrate it? USUALLY JUST DH AND I OUT FOR DINNER SOMEWHERE; WE’VE HAD A COUPLE BIG PARTIES - MY 50 AND HIS 60. WE’VE TAKEN SOME BIG TRIPS FOR 40 AND 50 - JAPAN, GERMANY, ASHEVILLE

With family? And friends? ONLY WHEN WE HAD PARTIES OTHERWISE JUST THE TWO OF US

Do you prefer intimate gatherings or large crowds? I PREFER SMALL, DH LIKES A CROWD

Do you plan the celebration yourself? I PLAN TRIPS, DH PLANS PARTIES

Do you have any birthday traditions? NO - EVERY BIRTHDAY IS A NEW ADVENTURE

ETA: We do have a tradition - we always have cake - store bought. Favorite is Costco - kind of large for two people but it freezes well. Lately we’ve been have Nothing Bundt Cakes.

hhireno thanked 3katz4me
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

I love birthdays-all birthdays. Yes, we celebrate every year. We used to go out for dinner and usually included our son and belle-fille. Now our granddaughter is included and this year we have either celebrated here at home or at their house. We also have dear friends with whom we celebrate each other's birthdays with a fun dinner at one house or the other depending on whose birthday it is (ours at their house, theirs at ours).

After all, aren't we all glad to be celebrating being alive?! ETA: I hope so.

hhireno thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • maddielee
    3 years ago

hhireno21 minutes ago

Do you celebrate your birthday? Usually not bigly.

Every year or just milestones? Milestones more then regular (40 was big!)

How do you celebrate it? Quietly

With family? And friends? Usually just DH, our kids and grandkids will stop by.

Do you have any birthday traditions? My birthday is 3 days after Christmas. By the time it rolls around, I am party fatigued. Or saying goodbye to Christmas guests.

I do not ‘get’ how Some adults can make a huge deal out of their birthdays, like no one else ever has one. 😊🎂

hhireno thanked maddielee
  • User
    3 years ago

I stopped having birthdays about 2 decades ago.

:)

hhireno thanked User
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Do you celebrate your birthday?

— Celebrate? Or Observe?

Every year or just milestones?

—- Every year. We observe, we don’t do big celebrations.

How do you celebrate it?

—— We observe with a special breakfast. Since my birthday is in the spring, young flowers from the yard or daffodils or tulips (depending on the weather that year) appear on the table. During the day, depending on everyone’s work and school schedule, we might got for a walk on a new path (my favorite activity). Then dinner, either at home or out.

With family? And friends?

—— With family. Usually go out with a friend in the days before or after.

Do you prefer intimate gatherings or large crowds?

—— Intimate gatherings. I don’t like crowds.

Do you plan the celebration yourself?

—— I learned my lesson long ago! I can tell my family what I want, then they will come up with something else. I let it go, thinking back to my childhood when we would bring our mother breakfast in bed, consisting of Rice Krispies and milk, orange juice, toast (surely cold by the time it got there) and coffee (probably lukewarm). What we didn’t connect was that Mother hated milk, never ate cereal, but she SAID thank you with a hug.

Do you have any birthday traditions?

—— DH makes fabulous birthday cards. They always involve a riddle or a puzzle, and some digital manipulation. Wait, that sounds . . . He uses the computer and post-its and ink to make the card. There, that’s, um, better.

— Years ago, one of my birthday presents was at my place setting for breakfast, and now it’s at everyone’s birthday setting: a handpainted mat of a birthday cake. (It came with a set of handpainted mats, blue and white with pale yellow pears, so pretty and I use them all all summer long.)

hhireno thanked bpath
  • bpath
    3 years ago

My grandmother used to have a big birthday party every five years. My grandfather died before I was born, so I wonder if these were a good excuse to get friends and family business associates and the extended family together? They were at restaurants or someone’s club, and always well-attended and a lot of fun. In retrospect, I’m so glad she did them. We all have good memories of them.

hhireno thanked bpath
  • User
    3 years ago

I'll be 58 on Sunday and can't think of anything I care to do, even if I could. I bought myself a present already, and will probably get a card from DH and my parents, possibly texts from siblings. That's pretty much how it usually goes. A number of years ago, I wanted to have a big adult party, but have no desire for anything remotely resembling a party now. I prefer a low-key remembrance from the few I'm closest to. That's more than enough for me.

hhireno thanked User
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

Not really, no. If someone mentions it I;ll make something for dinner that I like.

The last time we were out was the beginning of March for DH's birthday.

hhireno thanked blfenton
  • sushipup1
    3 years ago

Nope, no celebrating. Maybe dinner out, well, back in the day, or here with select friends, again back when,

I'll save the party stuff for the little kids and anyone celebrating 80 or 90.

hhireno thanked sushipup1
  • sheesh
    3 years ago

Dec 23: My birthday

Dec 24: Xmas eve

Dec 25: Xmas day

Dec 26: granddaughter's birthday

Dec 27: Daughter's birthday

Yes, we celebrate together with feasts and cakes on every one of those days, even though I beg them to skip mine. Then comes April.

Hub: April 11

Son: April 13

And of course Easter frequently falls between or aroumd those two days.

These are not the only clusters as there are now.22 of us, but in the last few years some of our kids have moved too far to be at every birthday, but until the pandemic we all gather for Xmas, major birthdays, and our annual summer vacation.

Nowadays though only the grandchildren get presents. I guess we are a large crowd without anyone else so we never include friends. This year we had a drive by parade party for hub's 80th birthday in april.

hhireno thanked sheesh
  • suero
    3 years ago

This year was a milestone birthday for me. We were going to celebrate with a special family gathering at a very special restaurant. Then, just before the event, everything shut down. Maybe next year?

hhireno thanked suero
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

My bday is with family. Lots of Oakley food, burgers, dogs, dips, chips, the good stuff. But this year on the 23rd, it will be lonely even though I can wave to the grands next door. Haven't kissed or hugged them since early March. :(

hhireno thanked Oakley
  • jill302
    3 years ago

In normal times, we celebrate every year for each local member of the family. Usually 9 of us these days, so fairly intimate. Sometimes we go out, sometimes at home. My family plans my birthday. My group of long term girl friends get together for lunch. Milestone birthdays, family may celebrate at a higher end restaurant. My group of friends take a weekend trip to celebrate. We all like to celebrate birthdays every year, we never know how long each of us have. I have lost two of my closest friends to cancer so I am sure this has impacted my whole opinion of enjoy your time to the best of your ability. That said I have another busy friend whose favorite way to celebrate is time to herself with a book and that is what she does.

hhireno thanked jill302
  • jmck_nc
    3 years ago

I'm not much for birthdays for myself. I don't like being the center of attention. We usually have a family dinner at a restaurant. Not this year. In fact, this year my husband forgot it was my birthday...eh, who cares. Next year is a milestone for me and I hope we can take a family trip. When my son turned 30 last year we went to Disney at his request, so I decided everyone gets a trip for a milestone/decade from now on.

hhireno thanked jmck_nc
  • User
    3 years ago

We usually celebrate with a family dinner that includes my mother, kids, DH and a close family friend who is single.

I have a relative who plans her own birthday parties, big events. Did it when she was married, then a widow, then married again. Everyone else thinks it is weird. IMO it is sort of like hosting your own bridal or baby shower.

hhireno thanked User
  • Allison0704
    3 years ago

We celebrate birthdays several ways; going out (entire family), lunch (just the girls) or at our house (decorate, good food, cake). The majority of the time it is at our house.

With my close friends, we go to lunch once a month (or did before CV19), so a birthday is celebrated during that month. We only do small presents at Christmas.

Adults in our family prefer small family only functions. Children's parties are nice, but not extravagant. We still have family over on/for "the day" for the children.

Our young grandchildren receive gifts to open. For our adult children and their spouses we do cash gifts. Now and then, I'll do a surprise gift on top of that, and I like to do random gifts during the year. For example, last night I ordered something online for DD2 from me and my sister. She has no idea, and we can't wait to hear her surprise. Wish we could hide in the bushes to see!

DH and I gave each other gifts when we first married. Then we stopped and only did cards. I have 38yrs of cards in shoeboxes. Recently we have started giving gifts to each other again. DH always stresses over what to get me/the entire process of looking, but DDs will make suggestions. My sister never understood our "no gifts" rule, but the gifts are not important for us. It's spending time with family that means the most.

ETA: Anyone have "that" FB friend that does Birthday Month? Oh. My. Goodness. Not just for themselves, but their spouse, their adult children, her parents (and recently a new grandchild... on and on and on). It's called birthDAY for a reason.

hhireno thanked Allison0704
  • jojoco
    3 years ago

We celebrate birthdays. we go to a favorite restaurant and we buy birthday gifts. I usually make my own cake because I generally don’t like the ones from bakeries.

hhireno thanked jojoco
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

We have a grouping of “occasions“ similar to Sheesh’s. In December:

DH b’day; 6 days later his DGS’s b’day; 3 days later our anniversary; 2 days later Christmas; then a week later DD and DSIL’s b’day (same day). Talk about poor planning!

Do you celebrate your birthday? Yes. I like birthdays. The only one I’m not going to like is the one I don’t have!

Every year or just milestones? Every year

How do you celebrate it? We do a variety of things and we may do more than one thing. This year DD brought the grands and lunch to my house. Pre-grands and pre-COVID, we would all go out for dinner.

With family? And friends? Always with family, sometimes also with friends. No traditions.

Do you prefer intimate gatherings or large crowds? If “intimate” means everyone sitting down at table, then intimate.

Do you plan the celebration yourself? No. It’s my birthday. Since reaching adulthood, DD has taken on the organizing. DH is totally unreliable. He missed a major milestone. Not even a card. A $2 card would have been far cheaper than the Cartier watch I bought myself to assuage my hurt feelings.

Do you have any birthday traditions? Not really. The only “tradition” in our family is a big party on your 80th b’day. Sister and I tried to do a big party for Daddy on his 60th, but he said it was a tradition reserved for 80th birthdays. Sadly, he didn’t make it to 80. (Quick aside: Daddy’s birthday was usually celebrated at a particular college football game that fell on or near his b’day each year. The year of his 60th, because our party plans had been declined, we hired an airplane to fly over the stadium trailing a banner wishing him a Happy Birthday. Damn plane broke down some where in Louisiana and never showed up! That was our only present. We were so miffed!)

In DH’s coffee group, there are 5 guys with birthdays within a week of each other in early December. A couple of years ago, the group started going out for Sunday brunch to celebrate the 5 birthdays. It is really a fun time that we all look forward to!

hhireno thanked bbstx
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

@Allison0704, for DD‘s 30th, I did 30 days of best wishes leading up to her actual birthday, but it wasn’t on FB. I enlisted friends and family to send a card or other message on a particular day chosen by them. I took various days scattered through out the month, plus I had a few things in reserve in case someone flaked out. I think her fiancé and I were the only ones to send actual gifts other than cards. It was fun to do and it was fun to organize. I got photos or screen captures of everything sent to her and had them bound into a photo book.

hhireno thanked bbstx
  • User
    3 years ago

Happy, happy birthday, My3dogs! Sounds like Jimmy left some wonderful gifts for you, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your special day with the furkids!

hhireno thanked User
  • jill302
    3 years ago

Happy birthday My3dogs. Wishing you a lovely day.

hhireno thanked jill302
  • Allison0704
    3 years ago

Happiest of Birthdays, my3dogs!

@bbstx Now I like your idea for your DDs 30th. That means something to the ones that participated and a lot to her. The FB thing is just too "look at me," in your face.

hhireno thanked Allison0704
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Do you celebrate your birthday? Yes. I like birthdays. The only one I’m not going to like is the one I don’t have! Exactly! I feel like each day is a gift!

We are not big on gifts either - for b-days or Christmas. We had stopped Christmas gifts years ago and we would do something for a family, or charity, etc. After my mom passed away, in trying to make the holidays a bit more special for day, we started doing gifts again. He turned 90 this year and no longer shops. It's so funny how much he enjoys a new set of flannel sheets, a new quilt for the bed, and he has always loved clothes. It makes my sister and I happy to spoil him a little. My sister and I and our husbands give small gifts to each other for Christmas and they are usually some type memento or an evening out (movie gift card, restaurant gift card) things like that. There are no children in our family, which is sadly getting smaller. No grandparents either. My brother lives out of town, so we usually send money for Christmas and for his last b-day I had a cookie cake and balloons delivered. :)

Allison, I save cards also. I found one the other day my parents (my mom I'm sure) sent to me on Mother's Day one year! I am not a mother. But I have always had children in my life from babysitting to teaching @ church, to working with graduate students in my job. I may not be a mother, but I have "mothered" many and my mom pointed that out to me. So glad I saved that card.

Happy Birthday My3Dogs!! Have a wonderful day! Celebrate with the pups!!

Happy Birthday (early) Ida!! Just in case I forget tomorrow!! Enjoy your special day!

hhireno thanked Tina Marie
  • Irish2
    3 years ago

Happy Birthday My3Dogs!

hhireno thanked Irish2
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    3 years ago

Family brunch or dinner, lunch with girlfriends . Happy Birthday, My3, from our kids!!

hhireno thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • Sueb20
    3 years ago

Happy birthday, my3dogs!

DH and I usually go out to dinner for our birthdays, either with or without kids (or sometimes both, on different nights).

I have two BFFs and we celebrate our birthdays by exchanging gifts and going out to lunch or dinner. We celebrated the most recent bday, in May, sitting 6’ apart in a backyard drinking mimosas on a Monday morning.

We have actual parties only for the milestone years. For 40, DH threw a big surprise party for me. For 50, I wanted a party but not a surprise. DH planned everything but I helped with the guest list and the playlist (he hired a DJ). For his 40th, I held a surprise party at home with a ‘60s theme. For his 50th, I reserved a room at a restaurant and hosted a dinner for about 20 friends. it was also a surprise.

DH’s bday is in 3 days. As soon as his is over, I start talking about mine, which isn’t until late Sept. LOL. I’m pretty obnoxious about my birthday.

hhireno thanked Sueb20
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

Thanks to all of you 'Happy Birthday' wishers! It's very sweet of you to reach out. Shortly after I posted, a friend arrived on the pretext that she wanted to come over and pick up the magazines I give her regularly after I read them. She presented me with a sweet card and a fresh Maine lobster roll! (That's supper tonight.)

Since her birthday in June, there was nothing open around here due to Corona virus, I took her to the local Smiling Hill Farm, which makes their own ice cream, and you can either sit inside at picnic tables, or outside, where the cows are just feet away. We had a great time catching up.

The dog pics are wonderful, and make my day! Irish2, at first glance I looked at your adorable pups, and wondered how you found a 'coat' that matched your dog so well. Duh! They're SO cute, and I think the one on the right is actually smiling for the camera. Martinca - yours look SO happy! They are a beautiful bunch - by any chance are any of them rescues?

I grew up with one Brittany at a time, as my sportsman Dad loved to hunt with them. He had one at a time, but I love to have my limit here in my city of 3, and my 'sets' of 3 over the years have always gotten along beautifully with each other. I call them brothers and sisters, and they make me smile every day.

hhireno thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • lisaam
    3 years ago

HBD M3D

hhireno thanked lisaam
  • Bunny
    3 years ago

Happy birthday My3dogs!

hhireno thanked Bunny
  • jojoco
    3 years ago

Happy birthday, My3dogs!

hhireno thanked jojoco
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

lisaam, your dog is beautiful, but it looks like he/she is thinking, "Mom, do I HAVE to wear this party hat?' I'm sure that mine would look just like that, if not rolling on the floor to rub it off their heads.

Thank-you, Bunny and jojoco - You've all made this a great birthday!

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Happy Birthday, M3D!

hhireno thanked bbstx
  • salonva
    3 years ago

Happy Birthday (today, right?) IdaClaire and Happy Belated Birthday My3dogs!

So many August birthdays. (mine was earlier in the month too. a quiet Leo here).

Covid definitely changed things.

We did go out to dinner (outside dining) the night before, and grands came by for an outside (and garage when it started raining) visit and I did get the song with a candle to blow out. DD2 across the country called....My sister and bil always call with an operatic version of HBD, even if we in normal times do get together there is always the phone call.

Usually that's the extent of the birthday celebration ( well, not the outside visiting). For one milestone I had maybe a total of 10 if that join us at a restaurant. DH has a milestone birthday next month. In normal times I am not sure if we would do much more other than a good trip, but now I suspect it's just going to be a very low key day - but to me, as long as we can sing HBD and blow out a candle or two, it's all good.

hhireno thanked salonva
  • eandhl2
    3 years ago

Happy Birthday M3D.

hhireno thanked eandhl2
  • hhireno
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think lisaam’s dog would be saying “this is not dignified, lisaam.”

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Happy Birthday My3Dogs! I am sorry I am late with my wishes.

hhireno thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

Awww, thanks so much everyone! It's very much appreciated! hhireno, great comment on lisaam's dog - that is the perfect description for that facial expression.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

I missed this thread yesterday. Happy belated My3Dogs, and HBD,IdaClaire!

Yes, I generally celebrate my birthday, just a small dinner DH and me. This year we got takeout since we do not want to to a restaurant, even outside. Although often I am at my main professional conference over my birthday, so sometimes I am in fun cities to go out for dinner like New Orleans, Denver, Seattle, or San Francisco. This year the conference was canceled in San Francisco but it was actually before my birthday. My siblings came down for my 50th and rented a house on the lake. That was probably the biggest celebration, and I had an office party and Iron Maiden cake for DH for his 50th last December. But, I’d really rather forget my age!

hhireno thanked gsciencechick
  • llitm
    3 years ago

I haven't read through the responses but suspect I'll be an outlier.

I'm not big on celebrating adult birthdays, particularly my own. Being the center of attention is very uncomfortable for me.

In addition, I think there's a part of me that believes birthday celebrations are for children. Kids, whether it's their day or someone else's, thoroughly get into it and don't view attending a birthday celebration as an obligation that must be fulfilled.

hhireno thanked llitm
  • User
    3 years ago

I'm sitting right there next to you whatsayyou. We can be outliers together.

hhireno thanked User
  • Feathers11
    3 years ago

Happy Birthday to everyone!

I've never particularly enjoyed celebrating my birthday. I'm not sure why. But for my recent birthday, friends came over for coffee (outside, maintaining social distancing) and gave me the most stunning bracelet, and while they were here, a huge bouquet of flowers were delivered from my siblings. Another friend took for a pedicure later in the day... which was a bit uncomfortable, but the establishment followed safety protocols. In the end, it was nice to have a pedicure. I had had a difficult year (even before covid), and I appreciated the support of my friends.

One birthday tradition that I love is receiving cards from my now-adult children. They each send me one (and for mother's day, too) and write the most lovely, heartfelt messages of love in them, in their own handwriting.

hhireno thanked Feathers11
Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer