SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Curious About Your Projects and Updates.......

ttodd
15 years ago

I've been thinking about some of the projects and updates that some of you have been doing and wondering how you were coming along. Unfortunately my memory is HORRIBLE so if you were working on something how's it going?

Have you come to the long stall? Has your money petered out and you're just waiting for the next round? Were you able to just blast through your project to the end?

For instance.... I remember a mom who was due on July 4th who was decorating a nursery? Does anyone else recall that?

There was someone who painted their MBR in EK Cognac I believe, and had gotten some PB bedding. We were all chiming in about the bedding. Anyone recall?

There are so many more of you.... COME ON! What stage are you at?!

Comments (45)

• bodiCA
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Me too, I always look forward to how everything turns out. Results help us all learn and improve...... Please, Teach us what you learned along the way.
    May we see how it's coming along?

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

I'm coming to the end of a year and a half furnishing and decorating our newly purchased 105 year old home. It's been a long, sometimes frustrating process as I've entered into the projects that I wish my husband could have been here to supervise, because I feel like I'm in over my head with electricians who don't call back, plumbers who dropped my brand new dishwasher and walked away, etc. It's a wonder I have any hair left!

The last few, but significant things hopefully will be done within the next month at least. I had planned for them all to be completed before my husband came home from leave, but that didn't happen. If I can get it done before he's finished with this deployment in November, I guess I'll have to be thankful.

Another postponement has come yesterday-not the joyful one of traveling for the birth of my grandchild but the sorrowful one of traveling to Alabama for the funeral of my father-in-law. So some things I had hoped would be done the end of this week are going to have to be re-scheduled once again.

I love seeing what others have done and I'll share before and after pics of my projects here when they are finally completed.

Susan

• Related Discussions

Curious about the new growth behavior of a Pothos /Philodendron?

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm not sure I'd wait until after winter. Pothos is very hardy, and will tolerat repotting any time of the year, but if the plant is already in decline, 1) it could go south. very fast over winter, and 2) it will have lost much vigor by spring. If it were mine, I'd repot earlier rather than later. You can keep it bushier by pinching branches often. Just take off the last few nodes, stick the piece in water, then pot it with the parent. The branch you pinched will branch, thus becoming fuller, and you'll have a new branch back in the pit once the pinched piece roots. It'll keep your plant lush and full rather than leggy. Some people like leggy pothos though. I once saw a single stem wrapped all the way around the inside wall of a ferry terminal in Alaska - at least 200', probably more like twice that far. An interesting factoid about pothos is that the leaves grow larger as the stems climb upward rather than horizontally or hanging. I'm sure other conditions must be optimal also, but giving the plant a moss stick to climb will give your plant a very different look.
    ...See More

just curious about russian sage

Q

Comments (12)
    Nancy, I bought a plant last spring. I decided mid way through the summer that it needed more sun. So I moved it. It never recovered and I think it's gone. If it comes back, I'll be happy. If not, I'll buy another. My information came from a gardening book. It matched my experience on transplanting them. tiny seedlings are another story. Poppies are the same way.
    ...See More

Curious About Sounds from Upstairs Neighbor

Q

Comments (19)
    Tenants do produce adult web content. I took over a property and had a tenant who was home all the time. I was updating the info I got and asked for her work phone number. She said she quit her job and worked at home. I said great! Making small talk I asked what she did from home. She told me she was an artist. She moved out only 3-4 months after this and while showing the apartment for re-rental never saw any type of art stuff. Paints, canvas, clay etc. She did however have a web cam in her room and the bed was set up in an odd way. The last month I had to drop things off for her move and collect some money. Her boy friend opened the door and I asked to speak to her. He said she was "working" in her room and give her 5 minutes. A few minutes later she came out in a robe. My suspecions were further verified when my co worker (her old neighbor) informed me he learned of this from her parents. She was a good tenant. Quiet, paid on time, caused no problems, and since she was home all the time watched the neighbors and area for trouble.
    ...See More

Getting a curious Apple Update notice

Q

Comments (4)
    QuickTime is an extensible proprietary multimedia framework developed by Apple Inc., capable of handling various formats of digital video, picture, sound, panoramic images, and interactivity. QuickTime Player is limited to only basic playback operations unless the user purchases a QuickTime Pro license key. Bottom line you can uninstall if if you wish.
    ...See More
  • DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

See my shutter thread for a picture update - this is the project that won't die!

• funkyart
    15 years ago

What a great thread! I have been thinking that I "owed" and update to all those who have contributed so much time and energy to my posts over the last few months. This gives me a place to share a short update-- and more importantly to see what is going on with everyone else.

I have posted here about a bedroom and living room projects. I also have an office in the works and have recently been eyeballing the DR that I had planned to do next year.

I suppose you could say that I am stalled-- but I'd like to think of it as a regrouping period. I received a LOT of great input and advice and while it might appear that I have been ignoring it.. I guess I've been more sitting on it.. incubating it. ;)

bedroom
    My bedroom decor will work around an antique iron bed I had refinished in a blue-green color. It has way too many pink tones in the castings, so I have decided to touch them up to cut the pink. I received some fabric samples as well as some pillow shams in a number of different colors and patterns. I have come up with a number of possible matches ... and while I don't feel the need to narrow down to ONE, I do want to come up with a core look with a number of options to switch out seasonally and based on my mood. I don't yet have the core look but I am stopping in Tuesday Morning pretty regularly looking for sferra basics to serve as the core. I have also returned to my inspiration pictures and am waiting for that "gestalt moment" when it all comes to me.

Here are two of my inspiration photos-- neither of which I want to emulate in totality. They are a bit too country/cottagy but there are elements from each that I love. I guess I am going for a rustic elegance.

My biggest stumbling point right now is what to do with furniture. The rustic rosewood chest I had bought for the room did not fit up the stairs. I was ok with that because I don't think I was ready to give up the antique birds eye maple that my parents gave me when I was 18... but I also don't think I want to keep it. What I really want are pieces that are more functional, more rustic (but pretty) and at least some of which are painted. For now, I will be working around the birds eye maple and supplementing with additional pieces as I find and refinish them. I love the door with a mirror inset. I will definitely be on the watch for a cool old door.

I am narrowing in on wall color-- leaning towards SW Opalescent as it is pale enough that it should work with any of the handful of bedding patterns I like.

living room
    The LR is, in fact, somewhat stalled.. I was working around a rug that I liked but didn't love.. and now it needs to be replaced (I cleaned if after one of my dogs spent a weekend puking all over it-- but I now know it as the puke rug and I will replace it soon enough that I don't want to decorate around it). I have selected all of the pieces I want (hickory white buffet for tv, wesley hall wing chair, and hickory white chairs flanking fireplace) but I have not selected fabrics.. I think I am stalling too because I am still hoping to find/repurpose something from craigs list or the consignment store. I have the money but I am experiencing some anxiety about plopping so much money into new furniture. I value nice pieces-- but when I look at the total cost I think "well, that's 100 craig's list chairs.. and a couple of vacations.. and a nice chunk to put into savings.. " I just want to be sure that I make the right decisions that reflect my tastes and my priorities.

I have opted to keep the leather chair and ottoman. I will use it in the LR for now with the intention of moving it to my office as I get replacements.

I am *this* close to ordering aidan gray candlesticks for the mantle but I am also thinking about making candlesticks from salvaged ballisters and architectual pieces and I am still longing for antique mercury glass candlesticks.

So yeah, I am still all over the place. I am clear on the overall look but not clear on the details. I will watch for some deals and look at my options and not rush into anything. (at least for this week)

• metromom
    15 years ago

I am working on a portico - have had lots of help from folks here, although I'm not sure if you remember the threads. Anyway, this week *should* be a big week for progress -- front steps are supposed to go in (I'll believe it when they show up) -- and then we can start building 3 weeks after that. So in a month, I could have a whole new exterior! I painted my front door today and the new shutters are half-hung.

My other big project is painting my paneled family room - but it's on hold while the weather is nice. I'd hate to spend my favorite time of year holed up inside painting.

• no_green_thumb
    15 years ago

Funny this post should come up now. I just posted pix of my front porch and patio.
    I wasn't fishing for compliments - although I got so very many - but like Funkyart, wanted to show my results and thank everyone for their help. Without some of the great ideas I received here I probably would not have completed my projects. I would never have thought of a railing on my front porch. But when Squirrel photoshopped it, I knew it just had to be done. I talked with DH and he wasn't willing to do it -- didn't think he could.
    I priced the pieces we would need - and it was over $1,000 and that did not include installation.
    Then when Zipdee posted her railing, DH figured if someone else could do it, so could he. Zipdee and her DH did it in a weekend. It took us way, way longer. I didn't tell DH that Zipdee's DH is a contractor!! But DH looked at the plans they used (thank you Internet) and pulled out all of his manly saws and routers and such and figured it out. Without the inspiration and the pictures I showed him here, it never would have happened. I just love, love, love this forum. Thanks to all.

• ideamom
    15 years ago

Well lets see...I have 2 projects going. One being painting my golden oak kitchen cabinets cream and glazing them. It has been a very slow process because DH & I are always so busy. We have 7 cabinet doors finished & 13 doors & 6 drawers to go plus the cabinet bases. UGH! Will we ever get done?? Hopefully we will get the cabinets done by Christmas! Then we will have to take the tile counters off and replace the sink, faucet & have granite installed. So hope to have it all done by Summer. I know that's a long time, but gotta save up for the granite.

Also have been working on redecorating our DD bedroom for her 20th birthday. As most of you know I started buying & figuring out the look she wanted months ago. Well it's officially 1 month till her big day so I've been painting her room, DH installed crown moulding yesterday, and we've been painting her pine furniture black. I can't wait to put the room all together! I love that part! I'll be sure to show you all when it is completed.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I may have projects coming up if I have to move in the next few months. I am praying that God will aid my attorney and me in our case against my ex-employer. Any additional prayers would be appreciated. Of course, if I won the lottery I would have many projects to work on. LOL.

• meg711
    15 years ago

I am mid-way through many projects so I thought I'd chime in on my progress.

Family room: I changed to a different rug a few months ago and it seems to have made a big difference. We came to some agreement on the furniture layout (couch, two swivel chairs, DH's comfy chair and lots of ottomans). Our new furniture probably won't be here for at least another month.

Livingroom: Ordered this furniture, too. We went with cream furniture and pops of colorful accents. Still working out the tables.

Diningroom: Stalled on this room. I thought we had found the right fabric for the chairs but I'm re-thinking it. Now thinking about wallpaper and doing a bolder or less monochromatic fabric.

Master bedroom: Have a general idea of what's going in there but am having trouble finding fabrics to go with the focal point fabric. I'm also hung up on mirrored nightstands but can't find the right size.

Outdoor area: No progress to date. Still have new ugly stuff on my deck. Can't order new outdoor furniture until this is resolved.

Overall: Color scheme and color flow is finally settled so that's huge progress.

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

Praying for you always threedgrad.
    My project at the time is painting the main floor back in the darker shades. Lived with lighter greenish for a while but am happiest with the eggplant. Finishing the ceiling but am still not sure if I will keep it.
    {{gwi:1819347}} {{gwi:1819348}}

• parma42
    15 years ago

Hi ttodd, I just brought you up on a post the other day (all good things, of course, lol).

I'm in the same boat as funkyart. Way too many projects going on at once.

Got my new dining room table and now have to decide how to do the rest of the room and the adjoining LR.

Yes, we're running low on money and the wish list keeps growing. Still to buy...3 rugs, buffet, window treatments, DR chairs, more storage in my office, lamps, finish fireplace, kitchen backsplash (the last two items are a bone of contention between DH and I about which gets done first), the entire outside, bedroom pieces...and to think we moved in last November...??

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Same here ~ way too many projects started! Why do we do that?!? I'm half way through the front portal redo (a portal is a long covered porch out here). DS restained the chairs before he headed back to grad school and I've made new covers for all the cushions and pillows. Those were needed because the darn packrats chewed pieces out of the old ones to line their nests. Grrrrrr! My goal today is to repaint the old embossed metal shelf out there and to start doing a reverse painting on a cast off window I picked up several months ago. I finally feel inspired and will hang that above the shelf when I finish it. And then I need to decide what to do with the tables. It's a veritable other living room out there ;^P No worries about running out of money on this project, though, as it's all repaint or recover.
    And that's only ONE of my many projects!
    Like the rest here, I'm anxious to see some finished projects.
    Lynn

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

My project is relatively tiny, but I am really liking the results. I live in an old cape with a teeny front entry, and the original 71 year old fir door. It's been painted since I bought the house.

This embarrassing pic below shows the door, while I was playing with paint colors for the entry in January. I chose BM Wythe Blue after testing many blues with a hint of green.

Nothing in this pic remains the same, including the door bell chime cover, the light fixture, rug, and I have moved the Hitchcock chair, too.

I thought the door might look nice stained, and started to strip it in place in January, but just couldn't continue - it was too cold, smelly and difficult in that position.

I had a friend help me lug it to my cellar two weeks ago, and have worked on it for 2 weekends and some evenings. It's a LOW cost project but I think it'll have a great impact. I look forward to see it against crisp (almost) white trim, and the blue walls.

I stripped, sanded and stained the door, and polished the original hardware, hinges, strike plate, knocker, and cleaned the glass knob. It'll be put back in place tomorrow, but here it is on saw horses in my cellar. Stain is Minwax English Chestnut, and I used their wipe-on poly. The outside of the door will remain painted the deep red 'Cranberry' color shown in the last pic. What do you think of the change?

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

The painter is here to finally work on painting the open spaces in the house, GR, foyer, hallways and stairs. I'm so excited about it. I went with SW restrained gold. Will post pics when done.

• mo13
    15 years ago

Well, you guys helped me with some decisions about my LR and I havent reported back mainly because I have not been able to finish everything yet. I painted the table and the bookshelf, got new chairs and made new pillow covers. I am yet to change the light fixture - have to wait until I can make a trip to Ikea for that and for panels by the table. Here is some pics with bad lighting.

{{gwi:1819351}}

{{gwi:1819352}}

Thanks for the help guys!

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

I have been slowly and painfully trying to decorate my living room, going for a relaxed and cozy cottage look.

HOWEVER. Reality has hit. I have white slipcovers that some people have great success with ("just toss them in the wash and bleach when necessary"). This has NOT been the case for me. Yesterday we had a little party inc. 4 young children (three of whom are my own!) and now I have brownie all over the sofas (normally they can't eat things like that in the LR). I feel like I constantly have to babysit the sofas and rug, fix the slipcovers, etc. It's not worth it! Sure, I cAN wash/bleach them, but geeze . . .that takes an awful lot of effort, esp. because I'd have to do it fairly often.

So, while I am still aiming for that relaxed look, I want to actually BE relaxed in my LR. Even though I like my rug, I am finding it too hard to decorate around it, and like I said . . .I'm tired of babysitting it. So, I think I am getting a new and inexpensive rug, going to attempt to make my own slipcovers with a DARK PATTERN, then choose my paint, get curtains, etc.

So, while this is all extremely wasteful (rebuying things when I have so little $ to begin with), I think it's necessary. I don't want to live like this in a so-called LIVING ROOM.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Project? Yeah...I guess that's what this is. A project. A life altering, all-my-free-time consuming, stressful project. lol!! But it is a project that I can finally see the end of. About 5 years ago, DH and I decided to build another house. I wanted two bedrooms (our kids are moved out now). All the plans I found for 2 bedrooms were small cottage-type houses but I wanted something with larger common areas. So I designed it myself, and we started building. We have done almost all of it ourselves. We did hire a cabinet builder and we have lots of friends who are involved in various trades (drywall, HVAC, electrical, plumbing) who helped us out on some things.
    This is the front of it. I can't take a front-on picture because our temporary home (a mobile home) is less than 10' in front of it. I did the stone work on the columns myself. I have since added tapered columns to hold up the porch roof, but don't have pictures of it.

• nthemdl
    15 years ago

I started with my DD bathroom, trying for a Shabby Chic/Paris Apartment vibe. Painted all wood cream and aged with brow glaze. New champagne/pink and brown damask shower curtain, new shabby light fixture with dripping crystals, nice pink paint on the walls.

Fought for several weeks over stripes painted on one wall to look right, finally put a paint wash on them to tone them down. Purchased tile for floor, now looking at granite remnants for counter top and need to find sink, towel bars and faucet. Can't decide if ORB is the right look for the room.

Moved on to DD bedroom still sticking with the Paris apartment look, took out modern oak furnishings, painted walls SW Latte and brought in reddish cherry furnishings.

Getting ready to paint moldings this afternoon after work. Gotta match it to the off white in the rest of the house. Purchased mocha silk curtains with an espresso border on them. Found some over the top picture frames, a gold candelabra, some crusted crystal do dads, along with my DD's signature golden elephant. Hunting for an over the top crystal chandelier that falls within my price range.

Found a pretty chair on CL for 5 bucks, need to reupholster that, but the back and seat do not come off, so I need to get creative. Torn on bedding choices, still pondering that one...

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

I had my MBR painted in EK Cognac! I really like the color but I STILL haven't found that perfect bedspread for the bed!! :(
    I am still using the same old one. I keep looking so maybe someday I will find something.
    I haven't started anymore projects - my next one will be my DD's bedroom. I have been pretty busy lately with school stuff so that has been put on the back burner.

I will post back once I find something...

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

I have done nothing inside this summer. I am in MN so I needed to do all outdoor projects. Stripped the deck, stained the deck, painted the deck railing, stained adirondaks, painted the garage trim and porch bench. Working on the landscaping now - ripping up grass and putting down mulch. I love mulch.

This winter I am going to start working on my second level. First project is to scrape the popcorn ceilings and replace the '80's brass light fixtures.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

This is the only project I've finished lately. Well other than sewing pillow slips for our daughter and a couple of her girlfriends that helped her out before during and after her septo/rhino-plasty. I was unable to be there (she lives in norhtern Cali, we live in eastern Nebraska) since I was babysitting our son's baby boy at the time.

Anyway here's the before and after a Craigslist find. I used the exotic wood of wenge as an inspiration for the frame and some painted and antiqued anaglypta for inside the panels. It now holds fabric for said pillow slips and other items I'll be sewing for profit.

{{gwi:1799144}}{{gwi:1801036}}

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

My living room which I have been decorating for the past year is now done.

{{gwi:1791823}}

My master bedroom is also mostly done, though I still need to replace the mattress.

I have a few projects in the idea stage for my dining room which involve cleaning and recovering the dining chairs. I am very excited to be undertaking a DIY project, though am shifting gears to my family room.

My entry is 98% done with the exception of an entry rug.
    {{gwi:1624457}}
    My family room had reached an empasse for over a year due to a poor decision regarding placement and wiring for the big honkin' flat screen and speakers. We have finally realized it's never really going to work in that configuration and last weekend we fliped the TV to the opposite wall and now I am regaining steam. I'm hoping to call it done by the holidays--though DH is in charge of the surround sound system and have no idea of his schedule.
    {{gwi:1814661}}

My office (off of the master bedroom) desparately needs me to begin. It will involve custom built-in cabinets due to an odd shape. I did find a coupon today for Closet World so they are on my list to call.

My garden is mostly done (front and back) though I need DH to tweak the irrigation system in the front before I do some fall planting.

• soshh
    15 years ago

My projects are nearing completion on the GCs end, but we will need to finish staining and painting trim, walls and ceilings. This project included gutting two baths and reconfiguring the master suite. Plus, creating an entry parlor and living room out of space that was a giant living room. We built a wide archway with built in bookcases.

While I had the painters in to remove wallpaper and paint the master bedroom, I also had them remove the paper from the dining room and butler's pantry. I chose sort of scary colors (unsafe at least) and was scared I'd regret it.

We just accessorized the dining room with a my little collection of gold framed mirrors and stuff, and I deepened the stain on all the trim (because I had to stain new trim to match and it wasn't a perfect match) and finally it clicked. I don't have a picture with all the accessories in place yet, but here is the beginnings of it.

When we moved in we were using this space as a family room, so uing it as a dining room is a huge transformation. The look though, I am so excited. The house is transformed.

• soshh
    15 years ago

Here is my slightly over the top dining room. New chandie, captain's chairs and eventually a new table are on the horizon.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So good to see all of the responses and what you all have accomplished (or reassuringly not for many of us)!

Money has totally petered out for the time being so I've had to work w/ things that I currently had.

Some of you may remember that I finished the boys bedroom this summer. The only thing that we need to do for the rm. is order the closet door. We also need to buy a mattress to move DS2 out of the crib. I found matching twin antique maple beds for the boys for $100 & will them move the bed that DS1 is currently in into the play/ guest rm. so we're just waiting on money for a mattress/ box spring set.

Speaking of which I mixed a great shade of moody blue for the playroom this summer. I didn't have enough money to start testing a billion samples so I went downstairs to my mixology basement and just began pouring different cast off shades together. Looks great! I just hung some of my map reproductions up in the rm. & they look so wonderful against the blue. Got an estimate from the electrician about moving some ceiling fixtures in there to add a great black ceiling fan & schoolhouse light. Maybe that will get done before Christmas. I also have an old schoolhouse pull down map that I've been trying to figure out how to hang w/o damaging it. It's an antique & framing is going to be outrageous.

I've been in GET THINGS ROLLING mode for the past 2 months to
    A: be ready when we sell and
    B: Just finally be done w/ as much as possible before baby arrives tomorrow.

So in 2 months I've almost fully gotten our MBR completed. I'm stalled on the curtains and not sure if what arrived is working or not. The color was more natural on line but more gold once they arrived. Then I need to decide on either valances or rod's w/ clips. Once I'm back home I will be posting pics to get your input.

All of the rms. upstairs are finally painted except the nursery (waiting to see what we have). Play/ Guestroom just needs put together. Hallway is patched & ready to be painted pure white.

Downstairs:

I selected a cool striped wallpaper in blues, taupes, creams and pewter for above the paneling in the vestibule. It ties together the grey/ taupe that I am currently repainting the LR (yes I hear the gasps now but it's much more re-sale friendly & actually similar to the Baby Turtle) and the creams & pewters going on everywhere else in the house.

Remember the red DR that I painted in the Spring? My boys took white ceiling paint to the walls in there so that will get repainted hopefully before Christmas. I'm going either w/ a blue from the wallpaper or cream seeing as I have 1/2 of the chairs re-upholstered in differing shades of blue and sage chenille's. 4 more chairs to do!

We need to go through our furniture and decide what needs to go to a storage facility to open the place up a bit.

I'm pleased w/ the progress because all of the sudden it all seems to be coming together. For yrs. I fought w/ what I liked and what my house sort of dictated to me and it's been a struggle but recently I've figured out how to begin meshing the 2 together. Why didn't that happen 8 yrs. ago?!!!

• soshh
    15 years ago

Ttodd..BABY??? TOMORROW??? Wow girl! Congrats! All that work while you were pregnant with 2 little kids?

I am curious about your statement "For yrs. I fought w/ what I liked and what my house sort of dictated to me and it's been a struggle but recently I've figured out how to begin meshing the 2 together. Why didn't that happen 8 yrs. ago?!!!"

I kind of felt that way in our last house...wanting to make everything so..."colonial" when that was not my style. In this house it's really more the colors I feel the house dictates, (due to the wood trim) not my furnishings so much though my husband really wants to get a mission recliner because he thinks it would look so great in the house. It just doesn't really go with my stuff.

Look forward to seeing more pics.

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Ttodd, Congrats on the new little one on the way! :) I hope tomorrow goes smoothly for you and the baby.

So many great projects to hear about and pics to look at in the post! :)

As far as working on projects around here, the kitchen/downstairs is still progressing, extremely slowly, but progressing. We have all the beadboard up in the kitchen and eating area and painted We have also spent an enormous amount of time relaying the heart pine floor in the kitchen, eating area and down the hall. Let me tell you .. take a 100 year old pine floor up, put sub flooring down and then try to piece the very old, imperfect flooring back together in a crooked 100 year old house .. it was no piece of cake! We would have had a new floor laid in a weekend, it took us close to three weekends with this old floor. Next on the list is it needs to be sanded and refinished. After that two windows need to be cut in, then the backsplash behind the range done. At that point the cabinets will be ready to go in. Wish it would go as fast as it sounds. ;)

On the upside when I get a chance I've been stalking the local antique shops/malls. I figure by the time the kitchen, eating area and master bedroom are done, I should have everything in place to furnish them. *LOL* I did the same thing with the girls room the year we were working on it, I collected and bought .. when the big day came, we just needed to move the furnishings and accessories in.

A few things I've found recently below, wish I could find a table .. that's been a big stumbling point for me, I've looks at hundreds it seems.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

ttodd: I love your upbeat update! Thanks for starting this thread and best of luck on your delivery. Your LR is one of my all time favorites. If only I'd achieved 1/4 of what you've done when my kids were as young as yours, but when mine were babies there was no decor other than decor a la Toys R Us.

funkyart: I can really relate to your statement:

I am still hoping to find/repurpose something from craigs list or the consignment store. I have the money but I am experiencing some anxiety about plopping so much money into new furniture. I value nice pieces-- but when I look at the total cost I think "well, that's 100 craig's list chairs.. and a couple of vacations.. and a nice chunk to put into savings.. " I just want to be sure that I make the right decisions that reflect my tastes and my priorities.

Craigslist has really enabled me to stretch my dollars so much further and still get the look that I want. Sometimes we do fork down the money for something we could get no other way--like the latest electronics gadgets--but for the most part, I'm an avid shopper on CL and wait for the right items to come along.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Soshh,

Lets just say that my boys are fairly self-entertaining, one loves to clean and help & they both still go down for 2-3hr. naps every afternoon!

I had a very hard time decorating around all of the stained glass and trying to keep everything cohesive from room to room. Downstairs there are stained glass windows in every room except the kitchen and DR. The latter of which tends to look dungeon like w/ dark colors and is our only place to sit down at dinner time as a family and eat every night. The stained glass is red, green, amber, orange and pink. I lean towards green and aqua and kept trying to paint the walls aqua etc. YUCKEROONIES w/ the stained glass as DS1 would say. I finally decided to go w/ taupey greys which look great w/ the dark wood and antique furniture that DH keeps bringing home from work, and I've been able to add the shots of soft blue throughout that I like while maintaining a good neutral base. This afternoon I just finished painting 1/2 of the LR BM Pismo Dunes and it looks so nice. The DR may get the injection of a nice historic blue/green since there are no stained glass windows.

I decided that what I was lacking to make a stylish home was working w/ a similar color palette throughout and drawing the same colors into each rm. in varying degrees and intensities. I kept ending up w/ a crayola box of rms. that didn't tie together which is what I so desired and I think that's important in a small home.

Zipdee - how wonderful are your finds?!!!! That looks great. I can't imagine re-laying that flooring. That must have been a nightmare!

Val - I hope that my LR will still be one of your all time favorites once I'm done repainting. I'll look for your thoughts specifically once it's done!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Wow, you are certainly in the nesting stage. You know what that means? It's going to be soon. How exciting to have another one. Drat I miss those 2-3 hour naps. Now two out of three can stay up later than I do, though I now get up earlier.

Oh.... I want to see pics. Paint I think will be OK... as long as you don't change the WTs. Anything you don't use you can send my way!

• mldao
    15 years ago

ttodd: I've been so swamped with back to school that all I can say on my part is "DUH". How did I miss your post?!? It probably doesn't help that I'm reading these so late at night and my mind is fudge. CONGRATS! CONGRATS! CONGRATS! Welcome to the three clubs, misery loves company LOL.

I think of you daily as I'm trying to bring my hydrangeas back from the dead, it's not going as well as expected.

I'm rambling once again. My projects have gone from projects to "maybe before I die" I'll get this done.

Painters are coming on Monday to paint PR, DS's room & BR, DD's rooms and their BR and all I've done is narrow down the choices.

DD(16) is having her furniture painted black this weekend.
    We have so much more to do that it would be too tedious to list (besides the fact that it would put you to sleep).

I think (fingers crossed) that my soapstone kitchen countertops will be installed in the next 3 weeks!!

Enough about me, what did you have??? Please post ASAP.

BTW, I've showed a few neighbors and friends your photo walls and we've unanimously agreed they're exquisite.

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

Val - enjoyed looking at how your living room has come together. I haven't been on for awhile and wondered what you decided. After seeing the pictures of your house it looks like you and I have the same tastes in furniture! I love all your traditional tables (I guess I have a table fetish) - your kitchen chairs look similar to mine as does your master bedroom furniture.
    Being on this sight makes me want to decorate something!!

• loribee
    15 years ago

I am still working on our back deck...trying to make it warm and cozy! I started with my inlaws vintage 50's yellow and peach patio set and painted it black. Love to hear your suggestions if you have any! Thanks~

Here is a link that might be useful:

• msrose
    15 years ago

nthemdl - Do you have any pictures of your DD's bathroom. It sounds gorgeous.

Laurie

• nthemdl
    15 years ago

We are at a standstill right now til DD leaves for college next weekend, so these are pretty messy, but you get the idea.

• loribee
    15 years ago

Mine left for college last night and it was very lonely in the girls bathroom this AM with out all the makeup, accessories and hair straightener! :(

• User
    15 years ago

I'll admit I just scanned through these quick as I'm getting ready to head out the door but I caught the part about ttodd. Congrats!!! Boy or girl?

nthemdl - Love that bathroom! Very pretty!!

• nthemdl
    15 years ago

loribee, I am counting the days, but I know I will miss her when she is gone. This is her second year, so I know what kind of depressing mood to expect this time.

she walks into almost any room and just explodes. What was formally pristine and organized instantly becomes a hovel. The kid is just a pig, but a lovable one!

• loribee
    15 years ago

I know the feeling, nthemdl... Good luck!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eleri Rose came into the world on 9/4 at 11:19AM at 8lbs 4oz.

She is the 1st girl born into DH's side of the family for at least 2 generations so she will be spoiled. Her big brothers had planned to hide and live underneath their beds if they got a sister but they are very thrilled w/ her now. I got home Sun. & my house is remarkably in decent running order w/ the help of DH. He set me up w/ a lap top but it's not working right now. That just gives me more time to consider how to rearrange our LR! Projects never stop!

That said, to make more room in the LR DH brought an old low steamer trunk down out of the attic to use as a coffee table in place of our giant round space consuming banana leaf one. I thought that it would be cool to mount industrial style wheels underneath to raise it a bit. Anyone know where I might try looking for some?

Thanks so much for the pic. arrangement compliments! Can't wait to add this little one in!

• dgranara
    15 years ago

Well, I would say that is one perfectly completed project! What a beautiful little face! Congratulations.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

ttodd, you have to have the most beautiful update/project of all of us. Hands down! Congratulations on a "job" well done.
    ~Becky

• mldao
    15 years ago

Congratulations!! She's beautiful.

• soshh
    15 years ago

What a pretty girl and sweet name. My youngest has "Rose" as a middle name too. I never heard the name "Eleri" is it something you came up with or does it have other significance?

Congrats! She is precious.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!

Soshh, our 2 boys have Welsh & Irish names so we just figured we may as well make it 3 for 3.

Eleri is Welsh and is the name of a Welsh river. It's also one of the few Celtic girls names that in it's traditional form is pronouncable and spellable!