SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

How Can You Secure a 700 Pound Statue and Pedestal?

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a corner of my home where two hedges intersect. That area would look great having a large statue poking out where the hedges meet. I found a statue that is unfortunately quite heavy. The concrete statue is about 700 pounds and the pedestal is about 400 pounds. My problem is this corner is right at the street. If that statue toppled over in the direction of traffic, it would be a nightmare. How could the statue be installed to make it virtually impossible to fall over a) at all and b) especially not in the direction of the street? Keep in mind that in my part of California, serious earthquakes happen every two or three decades.

The photo below is not the statue, but it gives some idea of the kind of configuration I am dealing with. My statue is narrower and taller and the pedestal is also narrower.

So the first step I assume is that I should probably get a foundation installed with rebar at the base? Simply installing an HVAC concrete base on top of compressed base rock is probably not a good 30-year solution? Should that foundation have a slope that is maybe 1% away from the street?

In terms of structural supports, should I be thinking of sinking steel beams into the earth and tying the statue to those? How thick do those beams need to be and how deep would they need to go in order to offer a really good long term solution? I guess those beams could be incorporated into a concrete foundation, although removing them later then becomes impossible without destroying the foundation.

Obviously I need to consult with a civil engineer if I want this to be done perfectly, but for now I would like to just consider ideas and alternatives.

Comments (2)