SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys235

Shower too close to bathroom door, water damage to wood molding

marys235
3 years ago

We remodeled our master bath 4 years ago, and replaced the tub with a big walk-in shower. The side of the shower with the shower door in it butts right up against the toilet room door. None of the wood in the room is painted, it's all stained. Over the years, water has leaked out around the bottom of the shower door and damaged the bottom few inches of wood molding around that side of the toilet room door. I think the drywall under the molding is probably damaged as well.

We had a lot of problems with that remodel, and that contractor is no longer around to fix the problem (there was money stolen and lawsuits threatened, it was a mess). The shower threshold does not tilt into the shower like it should, so we get a little water pooling on the floor in front of the shower, which is causing the problem. But I'm told it would take several thousand dollars to fix (would have to replace the custom glass shower enclosure after fixing the threshold), so we're trying to avoid that.

We are going to put in some silicone seals around the shower door and frame which will hopefully stop the leaks, and replace/repair any damaged molding and drywall, but I think that wall area right next to the shower door will still get some water splashed on it. What can we do to prevent future damage?

Remove the wood molding around that door and waterproof that part of the wall next to the shower, if that's possible? ? There are two closet doors in that bathroom that also have wood molding so it might look funny if we only removed molding around one door.

Replace that molding with PVC and paint all the wood? Would still need to waterproof that part of the wall, is that even possible?

Any other suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks for any help. Sorry this is so long,

Comments (7)