SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

What caused the water damage to the bathroom ceiling?

talley_sue_nyc
9 years ago

I live in an apartment building; directly above my bathroom is an identical bathroom (their shower is directly over mine).

It's a self-managed co-op, so we own our apartment, and we'll have to fix it ourselves. If it turns out that the apt. above us is leaking, we'll work with them to fix it.
There is no management company, no landlord, etc. Essentially, it's two single-family homes that happen to be stacked inside an apt. bldg.

I walked into the bathroom our son (16yo and prone to hour-long steamy showers) uses and saw this:

It arrived pretty suddenly, and the damage is on the ceiling and mostly one wall.

My husband spoke w/ the lady who lives above us, who says she uses that shower only about once a week. And he says, "There's no leak in her shower floor."

He thinks this is the result of our son's ultra-long, hot and steamy showers (which he has been taking for about 3 years now). He thinks it was caused by one particularly long shower, or that it could have happened gradually--and I confess I don't go in there that often, but I do put the towels away on a high shelf at the other end; I can't believe I've had missed the beginnings of this. We did, a few months ago, change the shower curtain so that it totally, totally traps the water and doesn't let steam out the sides of the curtain; it all goes up.

Could that have caused this?

It's worsening--these were taken on the 16th, and there's a very faint shading on the opposite wall-to-ceiling joint that is clearly mold now. And the bubble on the end wall, next to the big damage, is bigger now.

My son has probably had one shower in there in the meantime.

Any wisdom?

These two show a slightly closer look at the damage--see how the paint skin has bubbled? I can press on it, and it gives. It isn't crunchy underneath--just space.

This is the back corner of the damaged side; you can see that the back wall is only damaged right by the bad side. That bubble has gotten bigger.

And this is the opposite corner (showing the back wall and the opposite side).

Comments (11)