SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fmslate256

Moisture on greenboard & studs causing mold inside cabinet in bathroom

F. Slate
4 years ago

Okay I need any advice here. We live in Northern AL, closed on our newly constructed home in Nov and about 3 weeks ago found mold inside of the spare bathroom cabinets. The cabinets are on an outside wall. the builder said it was from closing the bathroom door causing improper ventilation. After much arguing we got the builder to remove a square piece in the back of the bathroom vanity to prove mold as covering the back of the cabinet. Moisture was found on the studs, it was at 18-20% but the drywall piece had no mold on it. The builder then went to the outside of the home and cut into our brick to expose the Greenboard. He said see, no mold, it came from inside moisture. My husband looked closer and the Greenboard had a moisture reading of 32%, the drywall on the bottom looked as if it had water damage spots and the studs from the outside were dark on top as if they had been wet. The builder still has the hole cut out of our home ( I can see the sun shining thru back of cabinet) he is wanting to bring in an engineer to find out how water/moisture is getting into the walls. He is still standing by the bathroom didn't get ventilation answer. Any idea on how the moisture can be in the walls, the Greenboard and some area of studs with no moisture on drywall against the bathroom cabinet yet the hidden backside of the cabinet has mold all over and the inside of the cabinet has mold growing.The other problem is the bedroom next to this bathroom. When you use a moisture meter on the wood floor next to the wall, it comes up 30%, if you go 12" into the center of the room it goes down to 9%. It's like this all along the floorboards on the right side of the home. Any ideas on how that is possible?

Comments (77)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals