SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kay20_gw

Mold in the bathroom, how much to fix/replace?

Kay20
11 years ago

hi all,

Since my dad passed in 2011, I've been picking up the reno slack; my mom and I equally own the home now, and no maintence has been really done since 1990 (the year I was born and they moved in). Back then the kitchen was done, and my dad built a ginormous garage. He of course left the 1974 bathroom intact. Now 22 years later, I think we've got mold. There's greenish blue stuff coming throught the grout, black stuff growing in the corners and red mold growing where the green glass door meets the wall and tub, and under the baseboards (that I was taking out to replace with new ones), and under the tiles.

On to my question, what can I do to remediate the mold I can see till we can afford a full tub/shower gut? Should I take out and regrout the tiles for the time being? What should I do with the crack tiles that seem to be ready to fall off? I'm terrified about what could be going on under the tiles (which are directly adhered to the drywall, and over hang where the tub nook ends, hence how I know there is red mold under the tiles)so I know a gut is going to be required, but how much does that cost? It's a small room, about 5 feet wide by maybe 8 feet long.

Thanks

Comments (7)