SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann71_gw

How Much to Fix Up Before Selling

Ann71
10 years ago

Sorry so long:
I'm considering selling my 1923 house. I've been here 9 years. The house is nice, but it's got some quirks. It's got 1 bedroom on the main floor. The finished attic has another large space that has been used as a bedroom, but the ceiling height is only about 6'5 (and angles down much lower), so it's not a perfect space. It also has a dining room with doors that could be used as an alternate bedroom or office space, as the kitchen has a nook.

City records show it as 1200 square feet, plus some finished basement, but that also has a low ceiling and wasn't finished very attractively.

So the house isn't especially family friendly.
Only one bath. On a busy bus line but not an arterial. But in the end, these "downsides" were what allowed me to afford it in the first place and I've always known it might slow it down when I sell.

On the up side: It's in a very trendy part of town, walkable to grocery and restaurants and parks, houses sell fast if well priced. It's got fir floors, a new roof, new electrical panel, replaced sewer and water from house to street when I moved in. Installed radon remediation and decommissioned oil talk. Overall it reads "cute."

So finally, my question. How much to fix up before I list it. I've got a list of more than 50 small things- upgrading terrible light fixtures, cleaning carpets, recaulking tub, adding railings to some stairs, etc.
But so many listings I see have new kitchens. My kitchen, while not original, is probably 15-20 years old. It was already dated when I bought it but it's functional. I'm not inclined to update it, one because it will suck to live through that, and two, because the chances that I update it to the new owner's taste seems slim.

Does "not turnkey but not a fixer" seem like a problem?

Comments (8)