SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katlandreth

Ideas to Seal/Restore Weathered Concrete Planters

katlandreth
3 years ago

I just picked up some old concrete planters on FB Marketplace. I would like to use them inside my house as a decorative outer pot for my plants that are in plastic pots. I won't be planting directly into them, and the dirt inside has already been dumped out.

I love the weathered/mossy patina, but they're kind of shedding? Don't know the right word really. The outside of the concrete is a little crumbly. They're not falling apart or cracked (though there are some chunks missing from the bases), but I got a lot of sand/concrete dust on my hands and in my car while transporting them. They've been outside for who knows how long here in Florida, and I know they're actually dirty too so that might be part of it.

I would love to be able to just seal them without removing the patina, but I'm also open to suggestions like skim coating with fresh concrete or something. Just want to be able to use them inside without them shedding. Not too concerned about waterproofing since the plants will all stay in plastic pots.

I'm open to using them on my balcony if I can't get them sealed. There's no freeze/thaw cycle where I am in Florida so that wont be an issue even if I use them on my balcony.

Thanks!

Comment (1)