SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leubafr

Sealing a new concrete pond

15 years ago

Hi all, my husband and I are new to ponds but we knew we wanted one. Since the cost of rocks was so much that we really could not afford it, we decided to do it in concrete. I know, everyone discourages you about concrete.

Our pond is 18'x8'x3'. Sort of oval. To keep the concrete from leaching into the water, we ordered the pond sealer on the web. It was VERY expensive (1-1/2 gal) and did not cover the area that was advised it would. Also it was hard to work with. Being a former crabber and fisherman, my DH went to the boat shop and bought a gallon of fiberglass sealer that you use on boats, etc. He applied it with a roller, and it dries in 20 min. Put on three coats from one gallon waiting at least 20 min between coats. The next day we filled the pond with water and put in our fish.

That was right around Thanksgiving and we have not lost a fish yet. The eco is wonderful and we are just so excited.

I wanted to share this with you guys because I keep reading that you're worried about the concrete leaching and killing your fish. We do have a waterfall that is not sealed. Bought our pump and filters on line.

It has been, and still is, a wonderful experience. Can't wait for the warm weather so that the plants we have will begin to grow more.

Leubafr in S.E. Louisiana

Comments (21)