Need ideas for blueberries....

lizbeth-gardener

I have more fresh blueberries than we can eat and would love ideas/recipes for frozen blueberries.

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Wash & let dry. Freeze them on cookie sheets then pack into freezer bags and use them later for smoothies/shakes or cooked down for pie filling or make blueberry jam. You can even add them to pancakes but you need to thaw & drain them first.

Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
leahikesgardenspdx

Me too! I think we have 20 bushes, I have berries left from last year. I recently made this pie and it is so good. It says to thaw and drain frozen berries but I just ran some water over them so that they were starting to thaw and let them drain.

Blueberry Sour Cream Pie

Author Ashlyn Edwards | Belle of the Kitchen

Ingredients

• 1 deep dish unbaked pie crust

Filling:

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen (if using frozen, thaw and drain really well)

Topping:

• 3 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cold butter

Instructions

• Preheat
    oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare pie crust by covering the crust's edges
    with foil. This will help to keep the edges from getting too brown.
  • To
    make the filling, combine sugar and flour together in a medium sized
    mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat in sour cream, egg, vanilla,
    and salt over medium speed for about five minutes. Carefully fold in the
    blueberries. Pour batter into pie crust and bake for 30 minutes.
  • While pie is baking, prepare the topping by crumbling together the flour, sugar, and butter with a fork.
  • Remove
    pie from the oven and sprinkle on the topping. Return to the oven and
    bake for 10-15 more minutes until topping is golden. Remove from oven
    and allow to cool thoroughly before slicing.
plllog

Clafoutis. I put a glut of blueberries in a clafoutis a few months ago, it turned into two!

I also made blueberry banana bread awhile back. It was so good, I'm planning to make it again tomorrow.

And blueberry French style tart with proper custardy pastry cream and apricot glaze. Toe curling good.

I like putting blueberries in green salad, about half a dozen per portion. They look pretty and obviate the need for dressing.

Whoever has enough blueberries to make blueberry ice cream? It sounds like you do! And blueberry ice cream is SO good!

Last year, I made a great watermelon sorbet. These things call for chocolate chips to represent the seeds, but while that might look great, it's not a good flavor and texture. I subbed blueberries for the chocolate and they were fab.

Blueberry barbecue sauce is fab too, and maybe uses up more. That's the only really savory thing I do with blueberries, I think.

I think I posted these. Let me know if you want a recipe.

You can freeze a big blueberry in an ice cube. Looks pretty in punch. :)

And I'm sure you know how good blueberry pie and blueberry jam are. :)

Islay Corbel

In porridge for breakfast.

On hot days, I like frozen berries in a glass of water with lots of ice to flavour it.

Make jam.

Ice cream.

Steep the berries in alcohol. https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/55321/soaking-fruit-in-alcohol#:~:text=If%20you%20aim%20for%20alcohol,flavours%20into%20the%20alcohol%20continues.

lindac92

I never thaw frozen blueberries when making pancakes, or muffins or scones.
I love blue berries, in pie, buckle, grunt, slump, cobbler and any other old fashioned dessert you can think of....served with ice cream!

5 Likes Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
l pinkmountain

Blueberries are OK frozen, but the flavor washes out. Same with most ways of preserving blueberries. Blueberry syrup or blueberry lemon or lime jam are the best ways to preserve them and still have a good tasting product. Can also add to applesauce for a groovy color!

Lars

It sounds like you have already frozen them.

Like Linda, I do not thaw blueberries when making pancakes, muffins, or sconces. In fact they work better frozen and do not bleed like thawed ones do.

I used to put frozen blueberries in yogurt that I would take to work, and they would keep the yogurt cold until I was ready to eat it with granola for breakfast.

I love blueberry juice, but it needs to be sweetened. I also generally add lemon juice to it.

chloebud

These are a couple recipes I really like. Nothing new and different...just favorites for blueberry muffins and crisp.

Blueberry Muffins (from America's Test Kitchen)
Makes 12 muffins

When making the batter, be sure to whisk vigorously in step 2, then fold carefully in step 3. There should not be large pockets of flour in the finished batter, but small occasional sprays may remain.

2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) sour cream
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, preferably wild

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray standard muffin tin with nonstick vegetable cooking spray (or use paper liners).

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl until combined. Whisk egg in second medium bowl until well-combined and light-colored, about 20 seconds. Add sugar and whisk vigorously until thick, about 30 seconds; add melted butter in 2 or 3 additions, whisking to combine after each addition. Add sour cream in 2 additions, whisking just to combine.

3. Add frozen berries to dry ingredients and gently toss just to combine. Add sour cream mixture and fold with rubber spatula until batter comes together and berries are evenly distributed, 25 to 30 seconds. (Small spots of flour may remain and batter will be thick. Do not overmix.)

4. Use ice cream scoop or large spoon to drop batter into greased muffin tin. Bake until light golden brown and toothpick or skewer inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating pan from front to back halfway through baking time. Invert muffins onto wire rack, stand muffins upright, and cool 5 minutes. Serve as is or use one of the toppings below.

Blueberry Crisp

5-6 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup sugar
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. lemon juice

2/3 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
6 T. cold butter, diced
Optional - 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.

Toss berries gently with sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Place in prepared baking pan.

Combine flour, brown sugar, oats, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in butter blending until mixture resembles coarse meal. If using, mix in nuts. Spread topping evenly over berries.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until top is golden and fruit is bubbling.

nancyjane_gardener

I buy blueberries at Grocery Outlet on sale and freeze on parchment paper then seal with a freshsaver (similar to the foodsaver, but re-sealable bags, also much cheaper! About $25 at WM)

I make a blueberry/bran muffin and freeze them to have for breakfast a couple of days a week.

Blueberry/bran muffins

mix 1 1/2 c oat bran with 1 c milk. Let sit 10 minutes. preheat oven to 375*

2/3 c brn sugar

1 egg

1/2 c apple sauce (I buy the little cups cause I rarely use apple sauce)

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 c flour (I use WW, but you can use 1/2 and 1/2 WW and white which is what the origional recipe called for)

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 to 3/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)

1-1/2 c frozen BBs

1 handful of chopped walnuts (optional)

1 c shredded zucchini (optional)

While oat bran and milk are soaking, mix wet ingredients.

If using zucchini, add now

Mix wet ingredients with oat bran/milk mixture.

Add dry ingredients slowly.

Put frozen BBs and nuts in the dry measuring cup you used to mix the dry stuff and sprinkle with a bit of AP flour, maybe a tsp at most? Shake til all have a small coating (Martha Stewart hint so they don't all sink to the bottom!) Add to the mix.

If using the zucchini, I get a dozen muffins, otherwise about 10.

Bake 18-24 minutes (The zucchini makes them more moist, so take a bit longer)

bbstx

Ann_T’s Blueberry Upside Down Cake is one of my favorites! Tap on picture to enlarge.

1 Like Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
chloebud

bbstx, that sounds wonderful. Upside-down cakes with berries are always so pretty, too. Kind of jewel-like.

1 Like Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Color Dip Into Sherbet for Summer Color Ideas
Look to icy treats in a rainbow of colors for room palettes that please many tastes
Full Story
Front Yard Ideas 10 Ideas for a Front-Yard Edible Garden Your Neighbors Will Love
Choosing attractive, well-mannered plants and sharing the bounty will go a long way toward keeping the peace
Full Story
Landscape Design Get Along With Less Lawn — Ideas to Save Water and Effort
Ditch the mower and lower your water bill while creating a feast for the eyes with diverse plantings and gathering places
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Every project is a personal work of art, utilizing nature’s palette of perennials, shrubs and trees, creating a... Read More