SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Zone 3 four season greenhouse - early project planning and brainstorm

xmpraedicta
3 years ago

Hi all,

New to this side of houzz! I typically lurk in the orchid forum. I'm in the early stages of brainstorming and planning a greenhouse for a zone 3b prairie climate in Saskatchewan, Canada (-35-40C/ -30-35F for a few weeks each winter), primarily for the purposes of orchid cultivation. I have zero engineering/building experience, and will be getting contractors to do the work as part of a custom-build home, so I wanted to gather some intelligence, and run the broad-stroke ideas by you guys before I do something stupid and expensive.

My concept (again, generated with zero experience/engineering background) is a 2nd floor greenhouse over an attached garage, facing south with the north wall against the house. My thoughts and reasoning are:

a) Provide maximum sun exposure by elevating it above surrounding trees/structures

b) Any potential leak issues would go into the garage below instead of the main house

c) Save real estate on the lot for backyard gardening (another passion)

d) Save on heating costs in the winter with one less exposed wall/floor, as well as potentially save on home heating costs in the winter too through passive heating and transfer to the rest of the house

Functionality: For my purposes, the greenhouse would have no soil, and will mainly accommodate small pots and frames with hanging plants. Size will roughly be 16 x 24ft (or bigger if I can get away with it), so not a gigantic space.

I'll be targeting 75-80% humidity, with buoyant air movement being important. I'm aiming ideally for 25C/80F days, 18C/65F nights in summer, and 20C/70F days and 14C/55F nights in the winter, with options for a warmer zone and a cooler zone.

Main issues I'm thinking about:

1) Humidity - how does one protect the house from 70-80% humidity in attached greenhouse situations? Is a moisture barrier on the exterior enough?

2) Heating - I realize running a subtropical greenhouse in zone 3b is expensive. I'm thinking in-floor radiant heating as a good (expensive) option (planning on having this in the house as well), but interested in passive heat storage ideas too. I've read about using water as a vessel for this - does it make sense to use water barrels filled with clean plant watering water for this purpose?

3) Cooling - our summers not too hot, typically 30C/85F highs and dry, but VERY sunny. Night-time temperatures fall to 17-18C/low 60sF. I'm worried about over-heating and don't know many resources on greenhouse cooling methods - I'm thinking ventilation, shade cloth and fans - are there automated options out there?

4) Shade - I think I can accommodate this by hanging higher light plants up above to shade the ones below

5) Snow/ice - we actually have pretty high winds, and snow doesn't tend to linger. The prairies also don't get as much snow as the coast/eastern part of the continent. I'm not sure how to prepare for snow/ice on glass, beyond having an adequate pitch on the roof and heating the greenhouse. If I have my way, there will be an outdoor 2nd floor deck where the roof can be accessed for sweeping.

6) Condensation - I'm worried about this, and plan to tackle it with air movement, radiant heat through concrete floors, and not letting humidity go above 80%. According to this link, I should be okay on the vegetation even at 55F, but I'm worried about condensation on the glass panes. Any other tricks that people employ?

Sorry for the long post, and what I imagine many naive assumptions and ridiculous ideas/questions. Is this all completely bonkers? Any wisdom to share before I start on this quest? Any other zone 3 four season greenhouse owners have "hindsight is 2020" lessons to share?

Thank you all so much.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH