SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

OK - getting the greenhouse going for the season!

karin_mt
11 years ago

I kicked off my greenhouse season today so I thought I'd share some photos. Who doesn't love photos of what's going on in other people's greenhouses?

First up, the status of overwintered stuff:
{{gwi:293447}}
Bok Choi! O' how I love the bok choi. This will become a stir fry sometime soon. Until then I will lovingly imagine how tasty that stir fry will be.

{{gwi:293448}}
Buttercrunch lettuce. The King of Lettuces. I can't get enough of this stuff.

Both of these were planted into 6 packs in November sometime, limped along on the kitchen windowsill through December, then planted into windowboxes during the winter and kept under frost blankets during the cold times. Now they are growing fast and approaching harvest size. Yummy.

{{gwi:293449}}
Awww, who can resist some sweet daffodils? Over the years I have experimented with various bulbs in the greenhouse. I am a Compulsive Bulb Planter. I think these were the first bulbs I tried and they have turned out to be the best. Tulips don't last very long, they sort of blow out when it gets hot in the greenhouse. But these do quite well. They first opened about a week ago.

I got some seeds started today: more lettuce and bok choi, a big windowbox of mesclun, broccoli, green onions, cilantro, parsley and cat grass. Next weekend I'll start the tender stuff like tomatoes, basil and peppers, along with lots more onion seeds.

I also did some cleanup and I found one of our cordless phones that had mysteriously disappeared over the winter. Oops. I had just ordered its replacement yesterday and was able to cancel the order upon finding the wayward phone. That's $50 saved that can go toward seeds!

{{gwi:293450}}
Here is the general overview. It's not too inspiring but it is cleaner than it was earlier today. Other misc plants in there are one surviving head of lettuce, two large blue oat grasses that I overwinter and re-pot into big containers on the front porch, some fall-planted carrots tucked under the oat grasses (much smaller than Hudson's, embarrassingly), and some pansies that bloomed right through the whole winter.

Aside from the planting, I had a wonderful time just enjoying the greenhouse environment. I can't think of a more cheerful and uplifting hobby than spending time in there.

I hope that March is being kind to your greenhouses too. Please let us know what you've got growing and what your big plans are for this year.

-Karin

Comments (26)