SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_492140245

Windows, doors and 9ft ceilings, HELP!

3 years ago

I am finalizing our window order...I have read EVERY discussion about this, but none really directly address my issue. We have 9ft ceilings, current plans shows standard doors 6’8” with 5ft windows lining up with the door height- 2ft of wall space above and below windows.

However, I don’t really want 5ft windows. So if we do 6ft windows at 24” off the floor, the windows are 16” taller than the doors. Or we could lower the windows to 18” off the floor, but they would still be 10 inches taller than the doors.

Won’t this look strange?! What to do? I understand 8ft doors may look disproportionate with 9ft ceilings, so I don’t think increasing the door height is necessarily the solution. I think 7ft doors look lovely with 9ft ceilings but those are even more $ than 8ft doors for us.

Before you ask, the architect (whom we have severed ties with...) always said 5ft windows. He said windows higher the doors would look terrible. I’m not very concerned about interior doors, but we have 3 exterior doors, all with windows close by.

If if you have any photos of windows taller than door, please share!! I cannot find many examples of this at all.

Comments (24)