SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Repurpose our Shed on Skids for Guest Housing.

enduring
3 years ago

I have an old granary that is on skids. It has a 10x16' floor. The front wall is somewhere around 12' tall and the back wall is somewhere around 9 or 10' tall, or both walls taller. The corners are 4x4 or 4x6 posts, otherwise the walls are 2x6", 24" oc. The floor joists are 2x6", 12" oc. The skids are 6x6 lumber and I think there are 4-5 of them, 16' long, going the length of the building.

This building is probably at least 60 years old or older. The The joists look good with preliminary inspection. The studs look good and are fastened to the joist, There doesn't seem to be a bottom plate for the studs to sit on. The flooring is cut around each stud, with the stud going down to the joist. The skids look intact on brief inspection, except for one. The roof and T&G flooring need to come out. So I visualize only the frame staying without the roof rafters. The walls need to be insulated and sided. The roof, and flooring need insulated somehow so this can be used all year for family visits. There will not be incoming water/plumbing. But I would like to be able to have a drain to the outside for a kitchen sink. A hydrant will be just out side the building for fresh potable water. A composting toilet is planned.

My Plan:

1. Insulate the floor, insulate the roof, and insulate the walls all using best practices to prevent water getting trapped in the walls and developing issues with mold.
  2. put a set of glass French exterior doors on the tall face, where the small entry door is now. Header would need to be built.
  3. narrow double hung windows, with full screens, on each face of the building between the 24" studs, without having to cut a stud out.
  4. put a loft at one end of the building or at both ends, one for small storage and the other as a sleeping option.
  5. wire for electricity, to use heater in the winter and a small air unit in the summer.
  6. drain for gray water from the sink
  7. air vent if needed for the composting toilet

I have been to the sites, "Building Science Corporation" and "Green Building Advisor" I am a bit confused with some of the information as I find the definitions of some of the terms they use not clear. My climate is "Cold" in the Building Science Corp definition. I live in Central Iowa. Cold winters and hot humid summers. Lots of wind, rain, and snow throughout the year. The building will be moved to an old chicken house foundation that is intact and the space can be filled with dirt and gravel, for stability and moisture management. The area where we live has well drained, sandy soils.

My son says it is a waste of time and money to do this, but I have the time, but not much money as I am retiring. We have access to some resources such as reclaimed lumber for structural purposes. Exterior and interior cladding, roof, insulation, electrical, and flooring, paint would be new.

Any thoughts would be welcomed, both pros and cons to this project. The alternative would be to get a ready made building for almost $9000, and that is without wiring, wall insulation, or drywall. the 3rd option is to get some plan I like and build from scratch. But I already have a well build frame, and good old lumber.

Comments (21)