SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_822298821

Neighbor installed fence B4 I could close on my home, now wants money.

HU-822298821
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My back neighbor and I were building our homes around the same time. He closed on his and immediately asked me if I wanted to split the cost of the back fence with him as he is splitting the cost with his other two neighbors for the sides. At the time i was having so many issues with our builder that I wasn’t sure we would even get to close on the home. I told my neighbor of the issues but said if he can wait until after we close on the house I have no problem with going half with him. He didn’t wait as not even a few weeks later he had a new fence up. The issues I was having with the builder were very real and we were even offered our earnest money back because they kept screwing up on the brick job so I was in no way trying to screw my back neighbor over. I was able to move in a couple of months later. Even after I moved in I told him I don’t mind helping pay for the back part of the fence and if he could give me a figure or invoice. He never did. I was never in a rush to get a fence but I was also not trying to help. A year goes by and my left neighbor asked me to go half with him and I did. Almost two more years go by and I ask my right neighbor if they would go half with me and he did. So once my fence was totally enclosed my back neighbor called me hours later and asked ”so what are we going to do about the back fence”.... I wasnt following so I asked what did he mean. I hadn’t heard from him in maybe a year or more. He said about helping pay for some of the back fence that we share. I was shocked and couldn’t believe this conversations was happening so I asked what number did he have him mind. I hadn’t spoken to this neighbor in probably over a year now. He said he paid $3300 but he wouldn’t ask for half and is okay with $800 but no rush. I never minded helping pay for the fence but I don’t agree with the way he handled this. He never asked if he could include us in the fence plans and if you get your home you can help us out. My question is what’s the right and wrong thing to do here? If I’m on the other side of things and I build a fence because I couldn’t wait a couple of months then I’m 100% eating that cost on my own and I wouldn’t be asking for a dime especially almost three years later.

Comments (17)