SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
totaln00b

Neighbors from Hell trespassing & dumping trash in my fenced yard

TOTALN00B
12 years ago

I recently bought a beautiful old Victorian house on a large corner lot that one (or more?) of my tweaker neighbors are apparently trying to scare me away from. The house had been vacant since 2004, when the previous owner died, but my first priority was to make it obvious that someone lives here now, so I made the front yard look really nice and well kept, and put potted flowers on the porch. I have no idea who is doing these things, but so far this is what's happened (and my yard is completely fenced in the front, sides, and back, with a front and back gate, so many of these are trespassing issues)...

I came home one day to discover someone had stuffed a large box full of used tampons into my trash can after trash pickup that morning...Someone hacked a couple of my blooming rose bushes and geraniums to the ground in my BACK yard, mysteriously leaving a small chain wrapped around the fallen branches of the geranium (???)...The same day someone took single bites out of apples and pears from my 13 dwarf apple trees and chucked them in the front yard...Every day I find piles of dog poop (at least I hope it's dog poop, because it looks an awful lot like human feces...all I know is that it's definitely NOT cat poop) in my fenced BACK yard, in one of the raised flower beds (so it's not like somebody's walking their dog past and it happens to poop in front of my house, they have to take the dog through my front gate and around the house)...and every day there is random trash and household items thrown on the sidewalk surrounding my house, and sometimes in the tall flower beds in the front (license plate frames, old throw pillows, ink cartridges, weight loss books, phone books, movie posters from the 90s, and other random junk - piles of it).

This does not happen to other houses on the block, just mine. The especially strange part about all of this is that I don't bother my neighbors, I have not thrown any parties or made any noise to speak of, and the only interactions I've had with my neighbors have been neutral or positive (although the people right next door to me seem a bit shifty when I've tried to say hello to them if we're both out in our yards). I don't mind some of the neighborhood cats doing their business in my yard, because at least they cover it up, but having people actually come through my gate and all the way to the back yard to have their dogs leave gigantic piles there is seriously creepy. And the tampons in the box!??? Who does that???

Has anyone had luck with a surveillance camera? What could I even do if I capture someone trespassing in my yard and dumping trash there - or pooping, or having their dog poop there? I can padlock the back gate but the front has to allow for the postman and whatnot, and if they really wanted to they could jump the front gate (it's an antique wrought-iron gate). I'm a single woman so this is freaking me out a little bit...

Comments (12)