SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsmith5673

Should I stake this peach tree?

George Smith
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I planted this peach tree in the spring of 2019. I am located in the Catskills in New York State, and it is a Reliance Peach. The tree did well. I got some peaches last year, the first season, and I've got a good number coming this year. Only one problem: this was my very first peach tree (or tree of any kind). We're on an incline, and I did not plant it very skillfully. As you can see it is leaning to the left due to my sloppiness.

This year I staked it for a time to correct the leaning. After a week or two I removed the staking to see how it was going. It seemed ok so I kept the staking off, and after a few days the leaning resumed. The question is whether I should stake it again and, if so, for how long.

I consulted an arborist (who was treating my ash trees for borers), and he was noncommital. He said I "could" stake the tree, and if so I should remove the stake as soon as it could stand by itself. He's not big on staking trees, and that seems to be the consensus of what I've consulted online. Still, it does seem to be a pronounced lean and I don't see how that can be good for the tree.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES