SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_58962921

Have You Ever Seen a Kitchen Backsplash Made of Wood?

User
3 years ago

Our new-to-us house has a tile backsplash in the kitchen that I don’t love. It is a 12 x 12 version of the floor tile in our sunroom (which I also don’t love). What I do love about it is the installation; whoever did the work knew his or her business. The tile is laid on the diagonal and the bullnose was carefully planned out and cut perfectly. I just don’t like the color primarily, and secondarily I am just tired of tile backsplashes. I know they make sense in wet environments. I found a pretty, handmade looking creamy white subway tile that would be a perfect color to redo our backsplash. I even taped about seven of the tiles onto the existing backsplash to see how they would look, and it looked appropriate but boring. Then I thought maybe chocolate brown glass subway tiles, because whatever it is has to go with my very bossy granite counters.

Then I thought...wood! Our kitchen is open to the main living area and I like the idea of a wooden backsplash—-NOT bead board or those reclaimed planks but beautiful, varnished wood paneling about the color of pecan or walnut, almost like wainscoting, to really make the kitchen part of the larger space.

I can’t find pictures of anything like what I am envisioning on the internet. I know wood is problematic around water but plenty of people have wood counters. I want something unusual and furniture-like. Is that crazy? I thought about that wood patterned tile but it’s tile. Have you seen anything approaching a wood paneled kitchen backsplash?

Comments (17)