SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

One or two handles for wide drawers??

ontariomom
3 years ago

Hi. We are almost set to order our kitchen hardware. The counters are being installed Thursday! We have chosen Restoration Hardware Aubrey Pulls for the drawers and knobs for the cupboards. The pulls come in various widths (4, 6 and 8 inch).

Is it better to put two 4 inches handles for the wide drawers (e.g. 36" wide drawers) or put an 8 inch handle? handle Thanks for your help!!! I am so ready to be done with the kitchen (we have many more rooms to move to next).

Comments (165)

• Aglitter
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Looks like based on Schaub's website that the 4" pulls project 1 1/8" and the 6" pulls 1 1/4". It doesn't sound like a lot, but that 1/8" extra grip room in the 6" pull will make a difference plus allowing your fingers to splay out a little more. That handle is probably 3/8" in thickness subtracted from that projection to give you finger space. If you have room on the door for the 6", it won't look bad at all. I just ordered 6" pulls for drawers I have that are only 12 1/4" wide. That hardware you selected is cast of solid brass. It should last you forever. For quality hardware in a small kitchen, it is not unheard of for hardware to run over a thousand dollars, or several thousand for a large order. Amazon is particularly prone to sellers with counterfeits. Make sure you are buying from an authorized Schaub dealer. Any knockoff plant can make that hardware with inferior materials and slash the asking price. True Schaub hardware won't vary vastly from dealer to dealer, maybe 25% max.

ontariomom thanked Aglitter
  • kellie_dyslin
    3 years ago

We originally ordered 12" pulls for our larger/longer drawers and ended up returning them and going with 8". The 12" looked ridiculous once we received them and held them up to the drawers. It was complete overkill. We went with Top Knobs, though, which offered more options for various lengths. We LOVED Schaub hardware - it's so beautiful and such high quality - but this was exactly our problem - all of the patterns we loved didn't come in the lengths we needed, particularly for our larger drawers.

Cabinet hardware was one of the "final frontiers" of our DIY remodel, and I swear it nearly drove me over the edge! I do love our hardware now though and it was totally worth the stress and fear of ordering the wrong thing and second-guessing myself!

Oh, and I can't agree more with everyone who has said one pull vs two on your larger drawers, for all the reasons others have stated here. Functioning in our new kitchen now, I can't imagine having to put down the pot to open the drawer to pick up the pot to put it away. Nope, I'd be aggravated every time I had to open those drawers. And my DW would be wrenching them by using just one handle. And I would be aggravated by that... :)

ontariomom thanked kellie_dyslin
  • Related Discussions

Please help - one or two pulls on drawers 30' or more wide

Q

Comments (6)
    The new drawers will glide nicely if you bought good hardware--you are buying new drawers, not antique, right? We have two handles on all nine of our wide drawers. We often open them with one hand. Being able to open the drawer without standing directly in front of the drawer is wonderful--I can snag one of the open handle pulls with one finger and open a drawer while standing adjacent to it. I can reach in from the side, pull out a fork, and shut it again without moving from where I'm standing. We chose hardware that stands over an inch proud of the cabinet (using universal access concept). The double handles look sensible from an observer's point of view. Cabinet maker said hardware could take this kind of sideways stress, even with heavy contents in the drawer. We paid him for his strongest drawers and strongest glides. We tried taping our handles to the cabs and thinking about the pattern before we made our final decision. Worked for us. Knobs are more problematic--they require a full-hand grasp, not an index finger to open and you need to be more straight-on when operating drawers. Not sure how bin pulls work in this context.
    ...See More

One big pull or two smaller ones for wide pot/dish drawers?

Q

Comments (5)
    I think it's a personal preference, but also what type of pulls you'll have, and what other drawers are next to the wide ones. I originally thought I would put two handles on my 36" drawers (under the cooktop), but ended up with one 6". Drawers these days are so easy to pull out and one in the middle works for us. We used 4" on the smaller drawers. BUT, if yours are next to other drawers and 2 handles would look better, go for that! It's a good idea to buy some and hold them up to your drawers. There is no "one" answer... just what you think would work best for you!
    ...See More

Drawer hardware size for large/wide drawers (30-38 inch wide)

Q

Comments (10)
    I used over size pulls on my cabinets. For my drawers, I made a "rule of half". I used pulls that were approximately half as long as the size of drawer. So pretty much the same as ctycdm has. In the picture below the drawers on the left are 24 inches wide with 13 inch pulls. The 36 inch drawers in the middle have 18 inch pulls and the drawers on the right are 18 inches with 10 inch pulls. I also have some 13.5 inch drawers that have 6 inch pulls. Since I like the look of longer pulls, I used 10 inch pulls on the cabinet doors. If you google using the words gardenweb, pull size and drawers you will get lots of posts and pictures. Many GWers have only one smaller pull while others have 2 smaller pulls on wide drawers. It's completely a matter personal preference and sizes available in the hardware you like.
    ...See More

Top drawers in wide drawer stacks - one drawer or two?

Q

Comments (16)
    I only have one wide stack, and I split the top in two - like Lisa_a, they are used for different things. One is potholders, which gets used all the time; the other is the junk/tool drawer, which is used far less (and at non-kitchen times). It may have been weird/awkward opening a 34" drawer ever time I needed a potholder. I would let function dictate. If you are using them both for similar things, definitely one.
    ...See More
  • Aglitter
    3 years ago

Yes, but she doesn't have the option of 8". It's a 6" handle on a 33" wide drawer or a 12" handle on a 33" wide drawer. The 6" is going to get dwarfed there. The 12" will look big, but the style she chose doesn't have a dramatic projection. Even at 12", projection is only 1 13/16", so barely beyond her countertop edge. Many other styles would be well beyond the 2" mark at that size, so she's okay with doing a 12" for a 33" here.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The Amazon seller also has their own website coolknobandpulls.com The price per unit is the same on Amazon as everywhere else. It is just the shipping charges to Canada are lower. II called the seller this morning, and she confirmed that it would be more economical for me to get them from Amazon vs directly from coolknobandpulls.com due to the fact that they can't compete on shipping costs It does not seem like counterfeit handles.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I really do love the Schaub Country Collection handles (not the price), so I will likely suck it up and order them. However, I am not really sold on the knob choices by Schuab. I prefer the Aubrey Knobs and they are half the Schaub knobs. Does polished nickel different in finish from make to make? The Aubrey knobs are plainer than the Schaub ones. Here are the Aubrey ones. Can I mix companies or if I want the Schaub handles, or do I need to stick with the Schaub brand for the knobs.

• kellie_dyslin
    3 years ago

Oh, yes, of course Silverlined and I didn't mean to indicate anyone is doing anything wrong or that the OP has options she doesn't. The 12" pulls for us looked wrong because the style of our pull was such that it became quite girthy in the middle at the 12" size and just overwhelmed the drawer, even though the drawer was really big.

• Chessie
    3 years ago

Generally speaking, a 12" pull does not look "ridiculous" on a 31 or 33 inch drawer, and certainly not if it is a low-profile slim style. And it's quite functional, especially if they are pot drawers.

ontariomom, I think I would prefer the 6" pulls over the 4" ones, even on the smaller drawer.

ontariomom thanked Chessie
  • ILoveRed
    3 years ago

I didn’t read all of the responses but wanted to mention...I have the 12” on my refrigerator and DW. They are beautiful but definitely look like huge, bulky appliance pulls. I, personally would not use this pull on cabinets.

not home but let me know if you want a pic

ontariomom thanked ILoveRed
  • ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi IloveRed. I would like to see the 12" Schaub pulls. The two pot drawers are under a warming drawer. The warming drawer also has a long handle on it (longer than CC 12 inches). If we go down to the 6 CC (7.5 actual that really seems narrow for those drawers). At the same time my cooktop is above this stack, so I don't want the handle to stick out so much that it is uncomfortable it we lean against it.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@kellie_dyslin Thank you for sharing your experience. Maybe we will need to see the 12 inch CC handles to judge what to do. This has been way more of a hassle and tons more money than we had anticipated. I will check out the specs on the 12 inch handle to see how much they stick out to help me judge if their size is out of proportion for these two 33 inch wide pot drawers. As mentioned there is a warming drawer above the pot drawers which has a long handle on it.

They charge way more for the 12 inch handle vs the 6 inch (no size inbetween). Given the huge step up in price, it does sound like you are getting a way bulkier handle, not just a longer one.

Carol

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

i think I understand your dilemma. Under the large handle of the warming drawer....the drawers could look fine with one single 6” c to c pull on each drawer. You almost need to have the pull and put it up there and look at it from a distance to see if it works.

i know I’m in the minority but I think it would look better to have two 6” pulls underneath the large handle of the warming drawer. Functionally, two pulls on large drawers has been fine for me. No issues.

you definitely don’t want these Appliance pulls under that warming drawer (or any cabinets, imo). It even looks a little bulky on my paneled DW, but it’s ok. Everything can’t be perfect.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Ontariomom..reread your last note and I’m a little concerned about your stack.

cooktop on top

warming drawer next

two pots drawers under that.

are you sure these drawers are tall enough with that warming drawer above the drawers?

can you post the kd‘s drawing for that area?

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is already installed, lol. Hopefully, it will work. We have tons of drawers, so we can use different drawers for a pot drawers It has been so long, that I might have planned on putting the pots elsewhere. The warming drawer is not that tall.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ILoveRed: That handle on the DW does look too supersized for me (fine for your application, but not needed for plain drawers). Sigh. I guess we are back to the original debate of one handle or two as the Schaub also does not have a good option for wider drawers.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    3 years ago

Love the comment early in the thread that says 2 pulls requires 2 hands to open. In my last house I had a bank of 36” wide drawers. Each with 2 handles. It was a pain to always need 2 hands to open. I’d totally forgotten that little annoyance as I haven’t lived in that house full time for a couple of years. However I don’t think my drawers had top of the line slides. Not trash as they have been going strong for 22 years. So in the kitchen I’m working on I will do single pulls on my drawer base cabs.

ontariomom thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Annette for sharing your experience. I was set on just using one pull, but I am disappointed that the options for longer pulls seems to be limited in my top two selected pulls. Why is everything so challenging, lol.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Lol, it’s a 24” dishwasher to compare the size to the pull. Beautiful but BIG. Someone above mentioned projection. These pulls are all spacious.

im sure you will be fine for your drawer stack. Hope I didn’t make you fret. I have two drawers under my rangetop and I just put my pots n pans in these drawers. All of my lids are kept in the adjoining middle drawer next to the stack...making my pans less crowded.

your kitchen is going to be the berries.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes. From looking at the drawing (only cabinet boxes are installed), it looks like the bottom drawer of the stack is fairly deep and the one right below the warming drawer is shallow. Maybe we planned on pots in the deeper drawer and lids in the shallower one. I know we measured everything at the time of ordering the cabinets. We have had the cabinet boxes stored in our home for years (yes, years). Somewhere in a file I have listed out where everything was supposed to go. It is getting time to find that file in the computer.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ILoveRed: Did you use any 4 inch CC Schaub handles in your kitchen for narrower drawers (my apologies if you already answered this)? If you did use some 4 inch ones, are they also spacious enough?

• kellie_dyslin
    3 years ago

I’m glad I’m not the only one who made the list of which things were to go in which drawers/cabinets and ordered cabinets accordingly! I think my cabinet designer thought I was way too complicated.

I agree with the commenter who suggested ordering a sample and seeing how it looks. Are you working with a design showroom? We did and they were really helpful in securing samples for us - in fact I have tons of samples of hardware that I don’t know what to do with - haha! - but I don’t have a sample of the pulls you are looking for in 12”. We also got the hardware for well under retail. We worked with Studio 41.

I know hardware is much more work than one would think it should be and I empathize with hardware fatigue :) But, it was worth the time investment for me. It’s the jewelry for your kitchen.

• Chessie
    3 years ago

"you definitely don’t want these Appliance pulls under that warming drawer (or any cabinets, imo). It even looks a little bulky on my paneled DW, but it’s ok."

Yeah those are quite large - I agree!

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kellie: This is a very DIY project. The kitchen cabinets were ready to assemble. We did not use a cabinet showroom, so we have no connections there. It will be way more costly for us to get them locally in Canada vs ordering from the US online. You were lucky to be able to access samples. We would not expect that though given we did not give a local kitchen company our cabinet business. What hardware did you end up choosing from TopKnobs?

I am sorry to report that DH saw the appliance pull and has stated now that he does not like the Schaub handles. I showed him the lovely handles on the cabinets that ILoveRed posted and he is now saying they are too big for his liking and he would be way happier with smaller/less costly ones. I am going to have to go looking again. Ugh!!!

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

@ontariomom I was looking at @ILoveRed photos and noticed the 4 holes per pull and went back to the Schaub site, and on closer inspection, I do believe these Schaub Country Collection pulls have 4 holes each. Are we all on the same page with which set of hardware this is? You had said this was a 2-hole-per-pull collection.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Silverlined: The country collection Schuab have dummy screws on the outside as opposed to the Aubrey that really have four functional screws. The Schuab are attached from behind the drawer front like regular handles. ILoveRed has the same handles (Schaub Country Collection) and she confirmed that their handles only need two holes per handle.

Having said that, DH has put a pause on the handle buying as he now has cold feet -- he thinks the Schaub are too large for his liking (not to mention too pricey). I need to go back and see what else I can find. I am sorry, that we have spent so much of everyone's time debating these Schaub's. A few days ago, DH looked and said he liked them. Thank you for helping me and I apologize for the run around.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

No apologies needed. This is the kind of thread on the old GW that made it so fun. Just in case you change your mind..couple of pics

Small pull in the middle stack. 6” on doors and other drawers.

Front shot of two dummy screws....with back of door showing one screw on each end for installation.

• kellie_dyslin
    3 years ago

@ontariomom I feel your pain. Every time I thought we found the perfect hardware, we found a problem with it! It took weeks, actually months, to find our hardware. We went with Top Knobs Edwardian pulls: https://www.topknobs.com/m1940-edwardian-pull-3-3-4-inch-c-c.html. Our knobs are just a product number with no name; I can find it for you if you’d like though. Top Knobs will send free samples; you can order those from the website and have to pay shipping ($5 - I’m not sure about to Canada) and they also have lots of size and finish options. I’ve been very happy with ours so far.

Our remodel was almost 100% DIY. We did everything ourselves except installing the countertops, installing the 300+lb double oven, and dealing with removal of a load bearing wall - my DW did everything else (electrical, plumbing, moved the gas line, installed the cabinets, everything). We worked with different providers/retailers for cabinets and hardware and everything else (I ordered my sink through Google shopping and my faucet and hood vent from Amazon). I don’t know what options you have in Canada for that but it wasn’t a problem to do it separately here.

• kellie_dyslin
    3 years ago

And no need to apologize! We went back and forth what felt like hundreds of times in making the hardware decisions and I remember all too well one day liking something and the next day thinking it was the wrong decision.

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

@ontariomom Thanks for clarifying the 2 vs. 4 hole question. My guess is that your husband may really be more concerned about cost but is coming back to complaining primarily about the size as a more convincing point. Realistically, you don't find handles for cabinets in much of a different scale than those. They are not overly large at all for their center-to-center categories. Solid cast brass is a very durable material and worth the cost if you plan to be in the home a long time. However, much cheaper hardware can be found, obviously. I wonder if there are any Canadian manufacturers of cabinetry hardware?

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am not sure if there are Canadian manufacturers That is worth some research. Actually, I think it was me showing him the appliance pulls that did it more than the price. It was like he could not unsee the oversize pulls even when I showed him the 6 inch ones afterwards.

• kellie_dyslin
    3 years ago

Totally get that - it happened in my house too...

• C P
    3 years ago

Richelieu is Canadian

ontariomom thanked C P
  • ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you cprieur! We looked at Richelieu for island overhang braces.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Found these by Richelieu. They range in total size from 3.82 inches to 8.425 inches (actual handle size). There are five different sizes available. The price is very affordable. I am going to see if I can find some pictures of cabinets using these handles. Maybe Home Depot or other hardware stores have them in stock to actually see. https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/category/decorative-hardware/cabinet-hardware-pulls-and-knobs/pulls/transitional-metal-pull-863/1054341?nf_6362=%281049607%29

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

I so understand your dilemma! I did my kitchen 3 years ago and was completely frustrated by hardware. I also fell in love with the RH 4 screw handles but looked high and low for a substitute. I did the following -
    36” pot drawers have 8” handles.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

22” drawers and 15” spice drawers have 6” handles. Got them on Knobs4Less. And like other people on this thread, I ended up with A LOT of samples before I found the style, size, color and projection we needed. I recently put 4” handles on the vanity in the bathroom and they feel too small eve; for my little hands.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

The brand is Rusticware.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you RedRyder for those photos and your comments. I will check to see if Rusticware comes in polished nickel. Your handle style is very much like the ones we looked at last night.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Darn, no polished nickel with the Rusticware. However, they have chrome ones, which is what we will need for the bathrooms (not sure if we will do handles or knobs for the bath vanity).

• kellie_dyslin
    3 years ago

@ontariomom, do you know if Top Knobs ships to Canada? They do have a wide variety of options and I actually have a bunch of samples I'd be happy to send your way if it's helpful. I've been wondering what the heck to do with them - maybe this is serendipity - ha!

@RedRyder your kitchen is lovely. I remember it from my "help me find hardware before I lose my ever-loving mind" post.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kellie_dyslin: That is so kind of you to offer to send samples. I don't know if Top Knobs ships to Canada, and if they do is the shipping reasonable (Amazon.com seemed to have the only reasonable shipping option).

I was able to go into Home Depot and purchase a single handle form the Richelieu line. I was rather impressed. Sure. they are not as nice as the Schaub nor RH Aubrey Pull. However, I think I can be quite happy with them. If the handles don't last well, we can always upgrade to different handles I guess (assuming that the CC spacing is standard enough to give us some upgrade options).

We had a bit of a financial set back yesterday. So saving over 1000 dollars on handles might be a nice way to realign. The longest Richelieu handle is 8.5 inches (actual length). That is not really as long as I might have wanted for my 33 inch drawer stack, but good enough.

What's the expression? Done is better than perfect.

Carol

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

Would these handles from Jeffrey Alexander by Hardware Resources interest you? They are much less than Schaub. MSRP is about double what retailers pay, so you can find deep discounts everywhere.

I think the highest they go is 12". These handles are slimline compared to the Schaub, and they are so roomy underneath for grasping. They were among my top choices. I really loved the feel of these, so comfortable.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, those are nice! Thanks for the photo. I actually just put the order in for the Richelieu handles -- It only cost me $400 CAD. They will come quick as the online store ships from an hour away from me (they are in Toronto). If I don't like them, they are returnable. The quality of the one I bought from HD (same Richelieu in a different sheen), seems decent.

I think the biggest trade off in getting the Richelieu may be the amount the handles projects outwards (1.81 inch). Hopefully, we will not damange the finish of the cabs with touching the cabs too much.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

You will know right away if the projection is inadequate. Screw one handle to a piece of wood, and you will get a good idea of how it feels to open drawers with them. kellie: I went nuts trying to find my hardware so I always jump into these threads to provide emotional support, if nothing else. A close friend is doing her kitchen and is looking for handles - same problem as the rest of us! I’m sending her ideas like crazy, and photos from Houzz.

ontariomom thanked RedRyder
  • lwfromny
    3 years ago

RedRyder I couldn’t agree more. Cabinet hardware is tough. It matters so much, but usually happens toward the end of the project when you’re worn out from everything you’ve already done and trying to salvage the budget or not make overruns worse. Plus in my experience I get a look in my head that I love but just can’t find it. Or it costs $25 per handle like the handles I’m currently dreaming of so. Nothing else looks as good (sigh).

ontariomom thanked lwfromny
  • Chessie
    3 years ago

Jeffery Alexander has some great hardware. I fell in love with this pull for my island drawers, but everyone I asked (because I could NOT make up my mind) said that they did not fit with my more modern-looking kitchen.

https://productsdirect.com/jeffrey-alexander-cordova-cabinet-pull-z281-160sn.html

• DCF-Z6A
    3 years ago

I chose Jeffrey Alexander for my reno. Well made, great finish, great options. Very happy!!

ontariomom thanked DCF-Z6A
  • kellie_dyslin
    3 years ago

Ontariomom: good luck with your choice and let us know how it works out!

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Kellie. We just received our Richelieu polished nickel handles. They really feel like nice quality to us. They are far nicer quality than any handle I have ever seen in real life, actually. I am sure we will be happy with them. They may not be as nice as the Schaub, but I don't need champagne handles after all. I also bought the tool that was suggested so they can be installed successfully.

Thank you all for your help.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

You owe us photos, of course! We earned them.... 😃

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Of course! They are just in the box right now. The door fronts are not yet installed. The electricians come late next week for the appliances. When more is done, I will do a reveal thread and can post a link to that here.