SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

Pictures from Carol in Alberta

rosecanadian
3 years ago

This is my 4th time trying to post pictures over a few days. I finally remembered that I should put the text first...and then add the pictures later.

So here's my 4th attempt. LOL

Comments (102)

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Carol what size are your black pots? Do you just overwinter in those pots or do you have to put them in something larger? Is there a minimum size to ensure winter survival? I'm going to have to have a lot of roses in the garage this winter, doing my research now!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Joey,

My black pots are 19" vertically and 89" round the barrel (not the rim). Husband says 25 gallons. I put my pots on boards so they're not in contact with the concrete. Is this necessary? I don't know. LOL I water them really, really well before they go in the garage, and then I water them a cup per rose starting in January.

• Related Discussions

Jasper, Alberta in May (Very Picture heavy!) Part 1

Q

Comments (9)
    Don't we live on a magnificent planet?!! I can almost smell the pines and hear the water, it reminds me a good deal of the White Mtns. of NH, but on a much reduced scale. Breathtaking, 'bug. I was particularly taken by the colors in the shots with Mule deer and Big Horn sheep; that lovely soft, buff tinged with grey, hat will soon be replaced with Spring's fresh greens. Wish the pink ribbon was more visible, though...
    ...See More

Sugar bush in Alberta

Q

Comments (27)
    Hotwings tatarian maple is definitely seedfull. Lady Slipper amur maple is definitely seedy. Ok. The seeds are the ornamental feature. Hardly counts. Hmm. Autumn Spire red maple is nominally seedless. It's normally grafted onto silver maple root stock to gain tolerance to alkali soils. The sugar maple that Jeffries distributes as "Lord Selkirk" is seed run. Eventually half of them should produce seed. Unity, and Inferno are grafted. Their catalog doesn't say if they are seedless or not. Sugar maples are mostly dioecious, but there are lots of exceptions, and reported cases when trees were male when young, and later had female flowers at the top. Maples in generally are complex, with trees that change sexes from year to year, start life as one sex, change to the other, have perfect flowers one year, and only male or only female the next year, or some of each in different parts of the tree. Talk about gender identity issues! USDA plants database says that minimum age for sugar maple seed is 30 years, reaching a peak 60 years later. I may have to wait for bit.
    ...See More

A picture for canadian_rose (Carol)

Q

Comments (11)
    Still raining. We might get floods here - but, fortunately for me, I'm on a hill. The grass is so squishy with rain. The rose leaves are getting rust spots. I've got mushrooms growing in the grass. The rain just doesn't stop. I've started hissing hate songs at the rain. Sigh. :) Carol
    ...See More

Rose pictures from Alberta

Q

Comments (0)
    Well, I decided to make lemonade out of lemons. The hail and requisite winds keep breaking branches off my roses...especially my Austins. So I brought in these Bishop Castle blooms. I don't usually bring flowers inside...but I'm glad I did. They smell so wonderful!! Notice the torn leaves from hail. All of my roses have leaves like that. First bloom of Portrait. My beautiful Berolina that I love so much!! Thank you to whoever recommended this rose. And I'm sorry that my memory sucks. :) The wonderful smelling Parade Day! Beverly Sceptr'd Isle Soeur Emmanuelle (first bloom opening) I love the colors. Bishop's Castle Tahitian Sunset (tall and narrow bush for me) Our new lamp. :) Thanks for looking! Carol
    ...See More
  • joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Thank you!! That is helpful!

rosecanadian thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • berrypiez6b
    3 years ago

The list of french roses will take me all day to look up specs on HMF, I did look at the fantastic sold out photos on Palatines site. I wonder how many hours ( years ) I have spent virtual rose window shopping .

rosecanadian thanked berrypiez6b
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

I have not taken a job there, Diane, but I can also recommend Vermont country store Chocolate covered cherries. (regular ones.) I got a gift of the alcoholic ones once and they were too strong. I am terrible. Of course, we should all be eating kale.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Diane, I sowed a few orlaya seeds in Nov. to see if they would survive winter. Success! Then, in May, I started sowing a few every couple weeks. I believe they all came up.

The pk. of c. rotundafolia seed was about an 1/8th tsp. of dust. I assumed that was the seed. It was difficult to 'sow' since I couldn't feel anything between my fingers.

I just looked it up online and found that they are small, but big enough to see. So, what they sent me was an empty envelope. I will try again.

https://graniteseed.com/seed/wildflowers-forbs/harebell/https://www.toronto.com/events/8898503--high-park-seed-collecting/

They look very tedious to collect. I'll try my Northwest Seed store here in town.

Carol, I did it again. It's Diane's fault.

rosecanadian thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Sheila, maybe chocolate covered kale--really good chocolate about a half inch thick. I think we have the same candy likes because I really like chocolate covered cherries, too. But I agree that I would want the teatotaler's version. I have noticed the Vermont Country Store's choc cherries, too. I love good English toffee covered in lots of chocolate, and chocolate covered "seafoam" candy, which is hard to get. Oh, I feel a chocolate binge coming on. I think there are a few Dove pieces around here somewhere. Diane

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You're welcome, Joey. :)

Berrypie - so true!! And it's so much fun!! :)

Sheila - I eat Kale in a smoothie...so it's delicious surrounded by cranberry/grape juice, mangos, pineapple, blueberries, and strawberries!!

Flowers - Diane will gladly take the blame, I'm sure, if you will take the blame when she orders too many things. Quid pro quo. :)

Diane - I love chocolate covered anything. YUM!!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

What am I being blamed for? Was it because the C. rotundifolia didn't come up for Flowers? They probably did send you dust. I am going to try to gather some seeds from that stuff. When the bluebells reseed, I have noticed that the seedlings are very tiny and don't look like a mature plant at all. I think I overlooked them when they came up for me the first year because they didn't bloom, I know. I was so shocked to see this clump the next year blooming away. I thought it was anchusa because I had sown some of that (and I got Chinese forget me not instead). Sheila identified the clump as Campanula rotundifolia, and I didn't even remember buying such seed. I finally came across the packet in my records a little while ago. Duh. I'm sure you have wanted to know all this detail. By the way, why is it rotundifolia (like me from eating too many chocolates?). And why is the robin's scientific name, Turdus migratoria (I actually have an idea about that, since they are really, really messy birds around here).

Carol, that's a fruit smoothie that happens to have a bit of kale in it.

Flowers, thanks for the tip about sowing orlaya seed. That's how I used to sow hollyhock seed (which I left in the seed cases). I have a feeling that orlaya can sow itself quite nicely without my interference....but just to be sure, maybe I should throw some seed in the husks out in November. Then I'll definitely have an all orlaya flower bed. Diane

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Diane - yes, you are right as I hang my head in kale shame. LOL

Rotundifolia...I have that too!!! I thought it was a rare condition. :)

Turdus migratoria...seriously? Hahaha love it!

3 years ago

I got 3 campanula rotundifolia plants from Prairie Moon nursery this Spring, if anyone wanted to skip the seeding. That is a great nursery.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, kale shame is the worst. Next you will tell us you make brussel sprout smoothies. To make you feel better, I'll tell you that it is nearly 11 pm, and it's 95F. Tomorrow it's 105F again. And I was outside tonight doing chores. I was surprised to see that The Prince had many lovely blooms that were not thrips ridden and not crunchy burnt up. What a surprise. Also looking good are Munstead Wood, Tamora (as always), Boscobel, and Golden Celebration. Even Twilight Zone had some really dark blooms that were not burnt up. I am amazed, and I took pics, too. I am feeling better. The heat is not as bad as the wind.

Thanks for the tip, Sheila. I'm making a note of Prairie Moon nursery. It sounds like they have some unusual plants. How are those blue bells doing? I love learning about new plant sellers and new plants (to me, like Maltese Cross). Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Diane - oh the horror!!!! Brussel sprout smoothies!!!

I'm amazed that you can have roses that look good at those temperatures...and they'd been in the heat all day as well. Just checked and Maltese Cross is zone 3-10!! Now that's a pretty wide span.

3 years ago

I will stick with 'robin' and forget the correct name.

Diane, I meant you were to blame for going off topic. I was just as guilty, but thought I'd shift the blame to you. We've hijacked Carol's thread.

I'm happy to hear you found some nice surprises among your roses. My new this year Darcy Bussell has been everything Dianela said she was. Non stop blooms, and she ignores the heat, 101˚F today, 104˚F tomorrow. St. Swithun looks pretty good, and Johann Strauss. I don't remember noticing him doing so well in heat, before. Best heat resistant rose is Sonia Rykiel.

Sheila, I'm going to order the c. rotundafolia from Prairie Moon. I bet those bloom the first year, too. If they reseed, a few starts will be all I need.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

OK, I am sorry for the hijacking, Carol. But this thread has been fun--kind of like a nutty seasonal thread. That is a wide number of zones that Maltese Cross can grow in. It reminds me of the blue bells we've been discussing. There are photos of it thriving in Greenland and other really cold places, but it's also known to grow in some parts of California. I would think the climate here would be totally wrong for this plant, but nooo. It's starting up all over the place.

Flowers, I hate to see you spend money on C. rotund--if only I could send plant material to Washington. And, I'm still quarantining, so no trips to the post office for me, either I even gave my gardening friend a big start of the bells back in May. You certainly grow such a great variety of roses. I didn't know you grew St. Swithin and Johann Strauss. More roses to look up. Of course, I want to grow Sonia and Madame Isaac. That one is such a stunning rose. I couldn't believe the size of it on HMF. Almost all those who grew Madame Isaac were Europeans, and they did a splendid job with this rose. You need to start a thread of your beautiful roses. Diane

3 years ago

The Prairie Moon campanula are doing great but one is a lighter blue. I had to cage them because the creatures attacked.

Hopefully, they will be released from jail soon. I don't know how Ingrid stands it.
    I realize I overshot on the cage size. I grew Maltese Cross in Alaska easily. They seeded all over. I think they came from Russia.

• mjkjrobinson
    3 years ago

I live in B.C., where it"s been 37 for two wks. to hot for man or beast. The roses ere fine this morning, but we"ve had hot muggy heat all day and night! Hopefully we"ll cool down soon!

rosecanadian thanked mjkjrobinson
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, what a lovely group of roses and friends. Chandos Beauty really stands out for its stunning looks and delicate shading. That rose impresses me. I loved your insect photos, especially the bumblebee. I am worried about our bumblebees which have been decreasing in abundance around here. I think a lot of it is loss of habitat as more hills fill up with houses. Bumbles are my favorite bee. We still see lots of honey bees, which is good. Back to your roses--Parade Day looks like a super bloomer. It's another standout and so is Chartreuse de Parme. And even Augusta Luise. What a beauty in the soft shades I like. Has she grown much in her pot? I am so impressed with the variety of roses you grow so well under some pretty demanding conditions. Well done.....It was another scorcher here (105F), and I'd say the roses held up pretty well (better than I did). The only rose whose blooms were totally heat destroyed is old Brother Cadfael. He stands out as "Heat Wimp 2020". Every one of his blooms were crunchy messes. I had to cut them all off. As we say in our family, "that's a First World problem", and things could be lots worse. I can't wait for my big crop of tomatoes to turn red. They're starting, but running a little late. Diane

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Carol, I am blown away by all your gorgeous roses. Each one is superb. Your Parade Day is the best I've ever seen. I would like to compare it to Raspberry Cream Twirl. Do you think they're almost twins? Except for RCT being a climber.
    I'm thrilled to see how beautiful Soeur Emmanuelle is. I just planted one. Now, I'm really excited. Chandos Beauty is ravishing and I'm kicking myself for not getting Fragrant Plum. I almost came home with it a couple days ago. Now I'm sorry I put it back. Hate it when i do that.

Chartreuse de Parme is exquisite. I think I've heard it doesn't do well here, but will have to check that out again, because I'd love to grow it. I might be thinking of Yves Piaget that doesn't like cold winters.

With all those blooms, it would be hard to ever go in the house. Your yard looks cool and inviting and very fragrant.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    3 years ago

Wonderful roses, Carol! And, I also love the splashes of color from your companion plants. I am a huge fan of Bishop's Castle - it's gorgeous as in Carol's photos, drapes prettily, and is highly fragrant. It's probably near the end of it's DA shelf life, so for anyone who is interested, I would recommend getting it now.

I have to admit I also enjoyed the candy discussion here - no one in my family is much of a cook, and the only thing I can recall my beloved late mother baking was peanut butter cookies made w/ Crisco, with the fork tine cross on the top. But, I love hearing stories like that!

Here's a Bishop's Castle picture - if you expand the picture you can see that it's still in a too small plastic pot, and I just tossed some rose food on top - keep it fed & watered, and it's happy! (Not sure how it does in hot temps - my yard gets the coastal marine layer, so tends to be cooler.)

rosecanadian thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • Rae Dilly
    3 years ago

Gorgeous!

rosecanadian thanked Rae Dilly
  • Nola z5aWI
    3 years ago

Carol - What beautiful roses! I am so impressed with Parade Day's blooms, they are so full of character! I also have Chartreuse de Parme, it's just small yet, but I'm so looking forward to seeing it next year after seeing your picture! Your Parade Day reminds me of Rosa Mundi which I have been intrigued by, but I don't know if it's the actual rose or the story that goes with it. I wonder why people name their roses after mistress's of all the names out there? Lady Emma Hamilton?

rosecanadian thanked Nola z5aWI
  • berrypiez6b
    3 years ago

Too hot to bake, but a good day to go through recipes .

Somehow I mustered up the energy to go out and do all the deadheading, which led to weeding , and then I had to tie up some plants. My legs are rubbery, I'm done but happy. I'd be happier if I had a peanut butter cookie .

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Parade day and Chandros Beauty!!! So beautiful!

Did someone say peanut butter cookies?

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Diane - I really, really love Chandos Beauty...and I'm so happy that it survived the GGDO! It makes my heart sing!! Yes, I love the heavy "coated" bumbles too! I'm so glad that I have lots of food for them...lots of perennial sage, scabosias and other old flowers that they love. I really love Parade Day and Chartreuse de Parme!! Parade Day has just started blooming (past 2 weeks) as it recovered from the GGDO...Chartreuse de Parme has been blooming for most of the summer...it recovered faster than PD did. Nope, AL has not grown much for me...but Straw advised me to improve the drainage in the pots...so I added coarse sand and used bamboo poles (that I use to aerate the soil) to create holes that the sand fell into. So we'll see. Hopefully that will help. :)

Brother Cadfael - heat wimp of 2020. LOL I hope you get some cooler weather. We're starting to cool back down after Monday. 28/82 today (sooo hot for us) then on Tuesday it starts to get down to 23C/73F for a long time. We're probably done with the hot days....thank goodness. Yum!!! Fresh tomatoes!! Thanks, Diane for your wonderful comments!!

Flowers - yes, whatever I'm doing...Parade Day loves it!!! Last year it was a powdery mildewy mess...as every rose in my garden was, because I tried to go totally organic...what a disaster it was!! The worst year ever!!! Yes, they look really similar, don't they? Although I think that RCT looks better. :) Soeur Emmanuelle has this wonderful lilac color!!! I think it may be a struggle for it in really hot climates...the blooms may not last very long. Let us know how it goes. Fragrant Plum smells wonderful! And Chandos Beauty is amazing no matter how you slice it. :) I really, really love Chartreuse de Parme...it blooms over a long period. Thanks so much!! :) :)

Cyndita - yes, it's about the only Austin rose I have ever had that thrives. I would recommend it to anyone! And it smells wonderful too!! Oh yeah...home made peanut butter cookies with the fork markings!! Yum!!! Now, I'm probably going to make some today. LOL Ooooh!! I love your BC!!! The color is so deep and it's gorgeous!!! :) :) Thanks so much!!

Rae - :) :) Thanks!

Nola - Thank you!!! :) :) And Parade Day's blooms last and last for me! It's already been at least a week with our temps being in the 80s...they look just as new as when they first opened. You will love Chartreuse de Parme!! You're so right...it does look like Rosa Mundi!! A repeat blooming RM!! LOL...so true....a lot of mistresses. :)

BerryPie - I need to do weeding too...nah...another day when it's cooler. But good for you...getting that exhausted, I can't walk feeling is probably good for us. Peanut butter cookie...must have one!! LOL

I'm going outside...Later!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

You're welcome, Carol, and I love your great comments. They have substance, but are fun to read. I think the temperature made it to only 102F today, and will be "cooling down to the 90s in another day or two. Aside from Brother Cad, the cad, things are holding up well. I want to hijack briefly and post some bumblebee pics from earlier in summer/late spring that my son in law took. The bee is in a penstemon bloom. I've only seen about two bumble bees all season in spite of all my flowers that appeal to them. I remember 10 years ago when they loved my hollyhocks and routinely fell asleep at night in them. I worried they wouldn't wake up, or would die in the flowers, but that never happened. I miss them so much. I'm going outside in a few minutes--maybe it's cool enough at last. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, Diane!!! Those bumbles look so ROBUST!!! They look like weight lifters!! LOL Their wings are also so dark and leathery...like bat wings! Maybe it's just that your son-in-law's pictures are so well taken! I just looked in my photos to find pictures of bees...but they're all lost....when my computer died. Dang...I lost soooo many pictures. Do you have any perennial sage? Bees can't resist that....although penstemon is pretty fabulous to bees too....and you have that. Do you have a water source for your bees with rocks to land on so they don't fall in to the water? That really helps.

I love to read your comments too, Diane!! Everyone here is just wonderful! :)

And, cooling down is good no matter that it's still pretty hot. I sure wouldn't want to live with such warm temperatures though. Vive zone 3!! LOL

• katyajini
    3 years ago

I dont know how you do it Carol. How do you grow such beautiful, healthy and plentiful roses in pots? I remember seeing a picture of your Grande Dame, oh my!!! Do you still grow that Grande Dame? That picture got me into GD. You are doing awesome!👍😁

rosecanadian thanked katyajini
  • User
    3 years ago

Fun thread, I've just read it all...

Wonderful roses Carol, you do such a great job with them in pots, from Calgary... just to say about Chandos Beauty, this rose has great foliage... where my Tantau's are black spotting, this rose is 95% clean, the leaves are large and glossy and even without blooms is a pleasure to look at... I do find it slow to repeat, I experience about a month gap between flushes.. mine is just starting again now..

...talking of Campanula rotundifolia.. here's a photo I took of it with the Yellowstone Buffalo herd..

rosecanadian thanked User
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

katya - no, my Grand Dame died over winter when my daughter left the garage door open for 3 hours during a really cold spell. I lost about 25 roses. I really miss that rose. I even lost the pictures because my computer died. Sigh. Thanks, Katya...my roses are doing pretty well...but most of them are new bare roots...so most of them are still "learning how to be good roses." LOL So I'm not showing you the roses that aren't doing so well. :)

Marlorena - Thanks so much!!! My Chandos Beauty took a long time to get going because of the garage door being left open...it was a set back. I find that once CB gets going...it always has blooms. Maybe a few...but always some. And the blooms last and last on the bush. It's my favorite rose. What a cool picture!! Beautiful!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, I have read the the larger, early appearing bumblebees are queens, and that the smaller workers appear later. I know I've observed different sizes of these bees and different types of bumblebees. We have one with an orange belt that appeared a lot until this year. It had less black on it, and it was a favorite of mine. I grow many lavender plants, Russian sage, Jupiter's Beard, catmint, Buddleia, and dozens and dozens of coneflowers, and in the past, the bumbles loved these plants, especially the coneflowers. I fear their population out here has greatly diminished because they just aren't coming around.

Marlorena, that's a wonderful photo, but the Campanula rotundifolia looks so different from mine, which grows in rounded messy clumps, and is kind of floppy. Do you have any close ups of the Yellowstone plants? Here's a close up of mine. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I was trying to find the bumblebee with the orange belt photo. Phooey. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

OK, I found the photos of the bumblebee with the belt of orange. I miss these guys. He's on some campanula (not rotundifolia), and the bumblebee above is on butterfly bush. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

The bee is on veronica. It's getting late. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

How the heck did I get to be #3 on the top commenters list? Harharhar. I'm a blabbermouth tonight. It's all because of this thread, Carol. Diane

• User
    3 years ago

Diane.. I've tried to zoom in on my picture a bit but can't really tell... I only understood them to be that because the Park people had put up a sign to say what those blue flowers were, otherwise I would not have known - never heard of them before... maybe growing in grass makes them look different?.. otherwise perhaps some mistake by the park authorities..

I wonder if Carol has seen these plants on the prairies of Alberta?

rosecanadian thanked User
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol grows a campanula that's similar, but we couldn't decide if it was rotundifolia. Thanks for trying to zoom in on this photo. I think C. rotundifolia is very widely dispersed even though most people haven't heard of it. Sheila grew it in Alaska, and she just got a few plants recently. She's in zone 8 now in southern Oregon. Maybe the reason it's kind of messy and floppy for me is it's really too hot here for the plant in summer. And I don't think it wants much water. The biggest clumps probably get too much because they grow near roses. Diane

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Gorgeous pics, Marlorena. Diane, I used to grow it and think it doesn't like my wet clay conditions. I also think I had it planted in too much shade. I had many varieties of Campanula that I should try them all again. One of my favorites was a C.Trachelium. It persisted for years until recently when I had to redo the invaded bed. That and Filipendula Vulagare were somehow removed. F.Vulagare is a lovely plant. It's been wonderful just now looking over the dozens of plants I used to grow. Wish I still had at least a few of them. Now it's just lilies, shade plants, stachus, black eyed Susans and Purple coneflowers.... and one lone lavender. Now that I've removed the midge landscape fabric I hope to get some Walker's Low or its baby brother. and maybe plant some Alyssum next spring.

rosecanadian thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Marlorena's photo is lovely but that blue is not campanula rotundifolia. Marlorena's photo looks more like a lupine perhaps. It is more vertical while c. rotundifolia is all floppy.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Thank you, Sheila, for reassuring me about the bluebells. It's been such a mystery, and I was hoping it was finally solved. How are your new plants coming along? Diane

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Diane - I didn't even know there is a scale for measuring top commentator. LOL :) Yes, I've seen the HUGE queen bumblebees...kind of freaked me out (the first time) seeing these GIGANTIC bumblebees in my perennial garden (and the smaller workers hadn't been hatched yet)...I knew they had to be queens. Yes, one of the bees we get has the orange belt. I love bumbles!! There are so many types. I really hope the bees find your garden and they will make a comeback. A garden with bees is all the richer for it. :) Those are GREAT pictures of bees!!! Amazing photography!!! Wonderful perennials!! And, yes, that delightful bee is the same type that we get!!

Marlorena - I can't tell if I've seen them...too fuzzy. :) But it's a beautiful picture!!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, it's finally dropping below 100F today, but it's breezy which I hate when it's combined with heat. Things look pretty good, but I water constantly, which is really getting annoying when it comes to all the peppers, basil, etc in pots. Twice a day I'm out there pampering this stuff. I picked our first fully ripe tomato yesterday, and my piggy daughter ate it up before I could get a sample. Blast her. And I'm the one who has to babysit the hose when watering the tomatoes in their raised bed. Just joking about my daughter, but I did razz her plenty, as you can imagine. One rose that's doing well in this prolonged heat wave is Augusta Luise. This pic was taken July 21, and I'll take more tonight. I'm hijacking your thread again, Carol. Get out their and take pics of your garden. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

The top pic is Augusta Luise, taken in the evening of July 21 in near 100F heat. The second pic is Evelyn, taken July 21 when it was above 100F. Both roses are great in heat. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Oops, Evelyn pic taken July 27. Diane

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Diane - I realized I'm top 8 contributer. LOL At least I was last night. :) I looked at your gorgeous pictures and thought...yes and nope...that's not AL! But, it sure is a gorgeous Evelyn!!! I wish my AL looked as good as yours does! I have two bareroots of them...and they're meh. But I'm working with Straw at improving them with better drainage.

And they're doing so well in that heat!!! Amazing!!! They're both so beautiful in different ways...I can't choose a favorite...oh okay... Evelyn. :) :)

It just started raining. I took a few pictures before the rain...hubbie has to load them...not sure if any are worthwhile posting though. :) We really needed the rain...so I'm glad. :)

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here's a few more photos

Nicole Carol Miller

Chandos Beauty

Soeur Emmanuelle

White Licorice

Zaide

Canadian Sunset

Julia Child

Dee-Lish

Neil Diamond

Canadian Sunset again

Dolly Parton

Berolina

Zaide again

White Licorice

Buxom Beauty

Stainless Steel

Another Chandos Beauty...my favorite rose!

Chartreuse de Parme

Chartreuse de Parme...blooms this much all summer

Diane Loomer

Queen of Elegance

Pretty Lady Rose

Chandos Beauty again

Thanks for looking!