SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherwood_botsford

Sugar bush in Alberta

I want to start a sugar bush. I've got 24 sugar maples from Jeffries, and they have all survived a winter. However these are offspring off a very small number of trees. I want more genetic diversity.

I know that for every hundred trees I plant and get to sprout I'll lose half the first winter. And another half the second winter. Start with a diverse seletion of 10,000 seeds, and let Darwin go to work.

I've got a similar program going on with mountain hemlock. Started with 500. I've 40 two year olds now.

So I need your help. If you live in Saskatchewan or Manitoba, or in north east Ontario well away from the lake, or are in Minnisota around Bimiji or Rosseau and have a sugar maple in your yard, I'd like seed from your tree. Probably too late for this year, as most of the seed falls around the same time as leaf drop. But if you are willing, email me (sgbotsford@gmail.com) and I'll try to remind you next September.

If you send me a picture of your tree, I'll even post it, along with credit to you on my (hopefully) new sugar maple page.

Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests

Comments (27)