SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larebare

Tiny old house. Need help with kitchen layout!

Christie
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My house was built in 1941. The total area is 810 square feet.

The house still has the original kitchen. I would like to keep the upper cabinets. There are no base cabinets. I really, really love the cast iron double drainboard sink, but I want to remove it to install a dishwasher, modern sink hardware, and cabinets for storage and counterspace. On the oven side, I plan on putting a base cabinet to the left of the stove, and a base cabinet to the right of the washing machine, with countertop extending over the washing machine. There will be a 15" void in the far right corner of this side.

Here are my biggest obstacles:

• There is a chimney (17.5" wide x 15" deep) which would be cost prohibitive to remove.
  • There is a large window (44" wide x 58" tall - it is 29" from the floor).
  • The washing machine is next to the stove. It is a ventless washer/dryer combo.

I have sketched out a layout, but it seems like there will be a lot of wasted space in the middle of the kitchen. Removing the wall separating the kitchen and living room (to the left of the closet) is an option. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to put the fridge. I would love to have somewhere to put a small dining table - I don't currently have one unless you count my back porch.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!!

Edit: Here are some additional pictures that I made in Ikea's Kitchen planner.

Comments (18)