SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Feeling Overwhelmed... Cleaning tips?

amykath
3 years ago

I live in a 700 foot apartment. I have three cats that shed like crazy.

I easily become overwhelmed and nearly paralyzed when my apartment is a mess. I wish i enjoyed cleaning but I never have. I am the ultimate procrastinator.

I am hoping to tackle the mess this weekend but need some advice on where and how to even begin. I doubt many of you have this problem. However, if you have any ideas I would love to hear them!

Comments (78)

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

Bbstx it is less annoying to hold the trigger of the Dyson for me than pulling out the big vacuum. One friend rigged up an elastic band and was able to stop holding the trigger. I haven't tried that.

• deegw
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

For me the biggest roadblock to having a calm living space is stuff. It is so much easier to clean and organize if you aren't constantly moving things around. I would start by committing to throwing out or donating 10 or 20 items each day

I also love my roomba because it gets into the nooks and crannies that I don't reach with the vacuum. I have an old cheap one, it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but it works great.

amykath thanked deegw
  • Related Discussions

Feeling completely overwhelmed by so many apple varieties!

Q

Comments (9)
    Applenut is right. Don't plant just one. You could have a small orchard in that space. Check out the link below. Yes, there are so many apples to choose from. It can be overwhelming. I'm replacing an apple tree that blew over in a storm last year with an apple hedge of a number of different apple trees planted 3 feet apart. It's so hard to choose from all the different varieties. I'll be growing Dorsett Golden, Tydeman's Late Orange, Yellow Newtown Pippin, and Red Fuji myself. They're all great apples. Eating store bought Galas has turned me against Galas, but the fresh ones have to be better. Good luck with your orchard. Here is a link that might be useful: We Don't Have Room for an Apple Tree!
    ...See More

Feeling very overwhelmed :-(

Q

Comments (7)
    Well from a "former" newbie to another (I've had my pond running since October), you sound a lot like me. Just remember, this will be your first full year, so you are allowed time to live and learn; so take it easy on yourself. This forum is a great source for information. I started by researching (I must of checked-out 10 books on ponds from the library) (Good book & online: Ponder's Bible)and working all aspects out in my head and on paper. It sounds that you bought into with a nice set-up regarding your pond. First thing I'd do is figure out (close as I could) just how big the pond is. You need to know this in case you need to apply materials/ items (AKA chemicals) to balance your pond. Think of your pond as an aquarium on steroids. My opinion: Do your best to stay away from using chemicals; Only as a last measure. Second, get a test kit (there are simple test strips that test 5 factors per strip). Test frequently at first to get a base result, then when needed (you will start to "feel" things aren't just right as you learn// observe your pond). Third, get a working knowledge of the the life of algae. You will learn that not all algae is bad for your system (see Norm Meck article - link below) and it comes down to a competition for nutrients (give it to your plants; not the single-cell ones). Your water temp. is just warm enough for string algae. When your water temp. increases, you will probably have free-floating algae (layman's term: pea-soup water). That's why we're always advised to shade our ponds. When the water reaches certain temp. levels, certain types of algae wake from their winter sleep first before the good bacteria/plants; so they are the first in line at the nutrient food-line. Usually it is: string algae/ free-floating/ water plants. My point: work to keep a balance in your water's clarity through the use of plants/ shade / good bacteria. "Today I turned off the filter and started emptying out the tubs. The former owner said he would do that about once a month/two months. It's been less than that but when I opened up the pipe, the stuff that came out of the bottom of the tub was more sludge than dirty water. I mean, it was THICK. Should I be doing that more often?" Generally most basic filter systems start with a mechanical component (brushes) to trap the debris and a biological (good bacteria breaks down the fish waste to plant food)component. Usually there is a drain for release of "sludge/ dirty stuff". When I open mine up, it looks real dirty and slightly smells. I use this discharge to water my ground plants (and do they benefit from it). Again certain times of the year mean different cleaning cycles. The previous owner probably had his/her way of doing/knowing when to clean. And you will learn this process. I know it's time for me to clean my leaf basket when I see the outflow on my water wall drop off. So take a breath, take it easy on yourself, and take heart in knowing that a lot of people have been in the same place you presently find yourself. Happy ponding, LP Here is a link that might be useful: Pond Water Chemistry
    ...See More

Ever Feel Overwhelmed?

Q

Comments (30)
    Norwayaha, First, I wouldn't assume that they are making fun of you. It might just be gentle teasing (and as stated, you can choose to think of it as a compliment - you don't have control over their comments, but you do have control over your reaction to their comments). Second, consider using this as an opportunity to educate your friends and family. I talk about how I know what goes into the jars. I am living a greener life (growing my own food) and the food I make is absolutely delicious. Plus I am saving money (when I use my own home grown ingredients). I share jars with them (with instructions to return the jars when done). When they have tasted my "tastes like summer in a jar" peach jam or fresh salsa using my homegrown tomatoes and peppers, they are sold. As to a comment like why make jam when there is jam sold in a store, my response is: Find me peach jelly. Find me blueberry peach jam or blackberry lavendar jam. You can't! With home canning, I get to make wonderful combinations that literally aren't available in the stores (except perhaps for $9 a pint at a farmer's market where, guess what? they are doing their own canning!). Most of all, I feel connected to generations of women before me who nurtured their families with home canned goodies. I'm making sure lost arts aren't truly lost. Although people may not understand loving a hobby that is so much work, many more people are receptive to the idea than you might realize, with just a little education. So often the response I receive is "I always wanted to try canning, but I didn't know anyone who did it." You might be pleasantly surprised! Now all that said, oh heck yeah, I feel overwhelmed at times. Putting up 50-75 pounds of peaches during the summer and pounds and pounds of tomatoes/peppers/etc. in the fall is definitely a daunting proposition at times, especially since I work full time.
    ...See More

Feeling overwhelmed with,home repair

Q

Comments (21)
    " I have never seen it in nearly 40 years of my real estate career." Now I have a question. Over those 40 years,how did lenders assure themselves pre-owned homes they were lending on wasn't near falling in from termites,wasn't half burned down,didn't have irreparable foundation damage or other issues that dramatically effect's value. __________________________________________ To respond to this question by klem1 ^^^ The appraiser is the one that notes any deficiency in the collateral. This is true for conventional loans and government insured type loans (FHA/VA, USDA). The appraiser isn't quite a thorough as an inspector, but they do check the foundations, the roof, HVAC, and electrical systems and other items and put those items in the appraisal. They will even make the value subject to repair of those items prior to closing in some cases. An appraiser can explain it in more detail. The appraisal is ordered by the bank and paid for by the buyer to protect the bank from loaning against inferior collateral. The inspection is ordered and paid for by the buyer for the buyers use. If there are surprises in the inspection, we go back in and renegotiate the price and/or the repair or cancel the purchase depending on the severity of the condition discovered in the inspection. We have the inspections done long before the appraisal is completed so if there is a price or other adjustment it can be negotiated prior to the appraiser getting to the property. One more thing: if the appraiser makes the condition a repair item, then the appraiser has to come out to re-inspect that item after the repair and prior to closing and submit photos of the repair (where possible) and paperwork to the bank that s/he has inspected the item. Inspections and appraisals are two totally different things - but they do overlap in some respects because the condition of the collateral does affect value. PS: Appraisers refer to their visit as an "appraisal inspection". This could be where the confusion comes from in the post by klem1. The "appraisal inspection" is nowhere near as detailed as an inspection done by a qualified inspector. HTH.
    ...See More
  • nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

I hear you, Aktillery. I suffer from the same kind of paralysis. During COVID lockdown, I was trying to keep the house at least decent, and failed thoroughly. Cat hair everywhere, dust ... Asked my housekeeper to start cleaning a few weeks after we entered Phase 2.

Cat hair is surely a PITA. I keep a cat hair glove (similar to one linked below) and comb them with this glove three four times a day, usually when they’re eating or sitting on my lap. The cat hair problem doesn’t go away, of course, but at least it’s not as bad as it is otherwise.

http://www.chewy.com/mr-peanuts-hand-gloves-dog-cat/dp/180948

I agree with everything that’s been said above — dedicate small chunks of time, attack one small problem at a time ... I try to follow it and succeed occasionally, but it’s just so overwhelming.

amykath thanked nutsaboutplants
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

bbstx - Dyson trigger does not bother me in the least. I actually like it because it makes it very easy to stop the vacuum when I move from one place/rug to another which of course prolongs battery life. I have yet to use it long enough at one time to run our of battery power - supposedly it lasts about 40 minutes.

• vc01
    3 years ago

About my Dyson 7 ... no trouble holding the trigger, at all. It is very sensitive and takes almost no pressure. Also, I don't know how long the charge lasts because I've never run it all the way down except once when it hadn't been plugged in anyway.

Before I got mine, I thought ... who needs a glorified DustBuster? Thing is, the ease of use is HUUUGE, and that (plus the joy of dumping the dust-and-hair catcher!) makes all the difference. I'm a convert, for sure.

amykath thanked vc01
  • deegw
    3 years ago

I will add, for me, in particularly dirty areas it is much easier to "dry" clean and then get the remainder with a liquid cleaner. I use a Swiffer, a dry cloth, dustbuster or broom to get up the big mess. Then I use a wet cleaner. I find if I dive in and soak a bad spot I end up having to do more wiping and rinsing.

amykath thanked deegw
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

This is totally why dust is going to have to be last on my list of concerns. Dusting is a PITA no matter how you parse it, but one thing you can do to minimize the issue (and I imagine the same with cat hair and vacuuming) is to declutter and minimize surface area as much as possible, less area then to fuss with dusting or vacuuming around. I am actually on sabbatical to do a major, major declutter. But that's why I think my regular house cleaning routines have become so problematic, I'm torn between the everyday mess and the big mess that took years to acquire.

Maddie having people over was also my big motivator, still is, at least the idea of having people over. But still not enough. Flylady nicknamed the syndrome "CHAOS - Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome!" When I got my first home, she helped me get over CHAOS but at this point, well it's back to baby steps, I can tell you that. A month long run of poor health has really taken a toll on my progress . . .

amykath thanked l pinkmountain
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Been there, aktillery9. You've already gotten great advice but I'll add some more in case it's helpful.

For decluttering inspiration: Marie Kondo. Decluttering is HUGE in making keeping house less of a chore.

Cleaning inspiration: check out YouTube videos (Clean My Space is a good channel).

Routines: Yes!! Assign a day to a dreaded task. Even if you do nothing else in terms of housework that day, you got something important done. My tasks are changing bed sheets, cleaning toilets and vacuuming. I love my Dyson. Not ideal to have to hold down the trigger but I'll take it over having to lug a big contraption around. My charge lasts almost an hour.

Laundry: I aim for a load a day. Put a load in before breakfast? The best trick to a new habit is to combine the task with something already in your routine.

Dusting: I hate it as well and can never seem to be on top of it. I use dry microfiber cloths. And yes, this is done the most when company is coming over.

Another idea: if you're feeling truly overwhelmed (and there's no shame in that!), could you enlist a trusted friend or relative to motivate/encourage/coach you over Zoom?

Hth!

amykath thanked tartanmeup
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Darn! I just wrote a long response thanking each of you for each of your tips.. Ugh!

Well, I willl just say thanks to you all bc I can not write it all out again.

Nuts, thanks for the tip. I am going to buy a pair of those gloves!

Tartan, yes I agree. I would love if I could do just a little a day.

I have gone around my apartment today and filled a trash bag full of stuff I do not use and trash. I cleaned out a closet and stored some small furniture (thanks Pink and Dee) that was not doing anything for me and stacked it neatly in the closet. Less clutter and less items to get dusty and dirty.

I broke down a ton of boxes.

Now the hard part of going down three fights of stairs and walking across the parking lot to the dumpster several times to get rid of all of this stuff.

My place is still a mess, but I do feel better.

Definitely have lots and lots more to do!

You all have given me great advice and have helped motivate me.

I LOVE our forum!!!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I bought the Dyson 7, then found out that the 11 came in pink (though not shown on the Dyson website) and bought that too. Bestbuy will allow me to return the 7, but I haven't. I think it will reside in Maine. I love the Dyson(s) and so does my family.

Today I was using an immersion blender and I was thinking it remind me of Dyson. For some tasks I would have hauled out my Cuisinart or Kitchen Aid, instead I can use the "stick." Love it.

I hadn't cleaned my own place since I was in grad school, when COVID hit. I bought myself nice tools and I actually like it. For example, I hate "rags." So I got rid of all of them and got microfiber cloths, color coded for different tasks. I got myself a nice new caddy to carry cleaning products as I go around the house. I got a new Bona spray mop. I even bought cleaning products in pretty packaging! And I reorganized the cleaning supplies closet. HTH

I do agree with the poster that having guests is a great motivator. Overnight guests are the best for that! Especially if you do not know them well, LOL.

amykath thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • robo (z6a)
    3 years ago

Aktillery as a long time apartment dweller I can give one piece of advice which is divest divest divest - you’ll feel so much better about your space when you have less stuff to organize. Easier said than done, I know!

I am a horrible housekeeper. My last cat just passed away this week and I hired a friend to come over and tackle my basement with me. Now I have a much better smelling (much less cat litter smelling) basement and got rid of two car loads of stuff to donate and to the dump.

RIP Eddie but how I am looking forward to having furniture that isn‘t torn to shreds and never having to scoop a litter box again.

amykath thanked robo (z6a)
  • robo (z6a)
    3 years ago

Oh I’m remembering back to my apartment days and sometimes when it was realllly bad I would just sweep all the junk on the floor into a pile, sit in the floor, and methodically go through the pile. Very satisfying.

amykath thanked robo (z6a)
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Tartan suggested zooming with a friend. When I'm decluttering I text with this one friend. I text her pictures of odd or interesting things I come across, especially when I'm cleaning out my parents' house. We'll have a while conversation going interspersed with these pictures that have nothing to do with what we're texting about. It makes it so much fun. Can't do it while cleaning, though; I need both hands!

Nobody is working or studying in the house today so it finally got vacuumed. I emptied the Shark canister 3 times! I can't wait till people start leaving the house again!

amykath thanked bpath
  • hcbm
    3 years ago

Aktillery9- I also live in an apartment. A small apartment by anyone outside of NYC's standards, but large by NYC standards. It's about 1000 square feet with no storage. First and foremost get rid of anything you can. I have divested myself of most of my books, any clothes I have not worn in a year and extra decorative items. If I don't have room to display or use something regularly, why am I keeping it. I long ago realized the what if's are just stories I was telling myself, now I just let stuff go. I still have more to re-home. When my cats died I choose not to replace them. What a difference in time spent cleaning. Loved them, but never again. When it is too much I get overwhelmed and nothing gets done. Certain things are worth paying for. If you find laundry to be the biggest problem how about taking it to the laundromat and having them do your laundry. You don't have to do this every time but just when you feel like it is just too much for you to handle.

Two things I do everyday no matter how tired or overwhelmed and it seems to help. I never leave dishes in the sink. If I don't have a full load for the dishwasher I run a rinse load, but never leave anything in the sink or on the counter. It is just restful to the eyes. I make my bed every single day. Even if I am late. I have it down to a less than a minute job. I only use one decorative pillow and 4 bed pillows. Simple means easy to me. When I come home to a made bed, and an empty sink I don't feel overwhelmed if there is a pile go stuff somewhere else in the room.

For my sanity I bought the Shark cordless vacuum. The one that the roller does not allow hair to wrap around. That is the reason I bought the Shark, I hate cleaning out the vacuum rollers clogged with my hair. It is also cheaper than the Dyson and it has a switch not a trigger. Good for my arthritic hands. I hate, no despise my big old Electrolux vacuum. ( I should get rid of that vacuum.) I love my Shark. I also have a Roomba that I love for different reasons than the Shark. The Roomba keeps the dust down in my bedroom.

Don't know if any of this helps, but just do one thing at a time and don't be hard on yourself. Everything is tough right now. The world is upside down.

amykath thanked hcbm
  • Bestyears
    3 years ago

I HATE-ABHOR-DETEST housecleaning! We've let our housekeeper go because I just can't risk her bringing something in and my DH getting sick, and UGH!!!! So I'm doing the minimum and still hate it. The only thing that works for me is to listen to a podcast on headphones while I do it, or to have a nice long tel/con with someone. Suddenly, an hour later I've dusted and scrubbed and it hasn't been nearly as bad as doing it without those distractions. I agree with the others who say you could probably also find lots of ways to make it less detestable. The roomba, decluttering, etc.

amykath thanked Bestyears
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Mtn, I imagine that your house is spotless! That is nice you have all the good essentials and you seem super organized. I wish I had that trait!

Robo, I am so sorry to heat about your adorbable cat passing. I understand the sadness but relief as well. I have three. One is getting up there in age and doesn't seem too happy these days. I also wonder if it is time to let her go.

Bpath, that is a wonderful idea! I do not really have any friends with whom I could do this. I do have one that would come over and help and she has offered numerous time... but she has two boys and a husband to clean after. So, I feel guilty in asking.

Sherry, You are lucky you have a husband who is a clean freak! I would kill for that!

HCBM, I will look into the shark. I have a pretty good vacuum now (a Bissel... it seems to do the job). I agree about getting rid of everything I do not use nor need.

Bestyears, I need to really turn up the music or put on a podcase, I know that would help!

I cleaned out about 1/4 of my closet today and also the laundry area.

I cleaned off my counters (almost completely) and now just have to wipe them all down and do a few dishes.

Now I need to start the deep clean. I hate the litter box (with 3 cats!!!!) Ugh. Anyway I am trying. I will take five runs down to the dumpster. It is a start.... definitely!!

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is going to sound horrible, but sometime I wish I did not have any animals. My life would be so much easier!! However, it would get a bit lonely. They are my only companions. However just petting them bring out fur galore!

• maddielee
    3 years ago

Not horrible at all, I love our dog, I know she is our last dog. She‘s great, but she sheds more then 10 cats.

amykath thanked maddielee
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

ak - I know what you mean about the cat hair - ugghh. Much as DH and I hate the cat hair, cat barf, etc. we both agree not having any pets would leave too large a void in our life. We brush and furminate our cats to the extent they will tolerate it - one loves all that, one hates it - and that helps with the hair. And the Dyson stick has been a life saver for vacuuming. I never thought I would go without a housecleaner but that has made all the difference in the world. Now if I could find an equally enjoyable way to dust I'd be set.

Speaking of dusting - this thread inspired me to just get to it and finish it today. I hate dusting but it's been so long I can't remember when I last did it. I really went to town - dusted the furniture, six panel doors, pictures, under furniture and in corners with the microfiber cloth. It was quite a scene as I crawled around the floor including laying down to get under some things. I realize I could have used something else but nothing is as good for getting all the nooks and crannies and I figured as long as I was in the area I'd get down there and get at it. I do feel a great sense of accomplishment now that it's all done - even though the white cat and her hair are currently floating around on my desk.

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes Maddie, I had two dogs prior to the cats and it was super hard to keep up with the fur.

I think the difference is the dog fur typically is heavier and floats the floor. My cats hair is light and wisps all over the place. There is not a spot that is safe! haha

What is funny is I have been so productive today... I am sitting here with a cap on my head bc I am touching up my roots with highlights. I sure hope they come out ok. After, I think I am going to cut my hair. I have done both a million times but each time I get so nervous! I am on a roll!

Wish me luck!

Edit to add... I can not get that Tom Petty song out of my head "the waiting is the hardest part"

• Re Tired
    3 years ago

I haven't read everything, so apologies if this is a repeat. I too love the Dyson stick. You can take the wand off and have a hand vacuum, attach a brush, and do lots of your dusting with that. (I hate to dust.)

amykath thanked Re Tired
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

AK - you go girl - you got the momentum going - great job!!

amykath thanked 3katz4me
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

3Katz, a couple of glasses of wine really helps! lol

• satine100
    3 years ago

Aktillery, just want you to know that you are not alone. I hate cleaning and my house shows it. I have a cat who has a thyroid problem and she sheds just walking across the room. She has litter box issues because of her thyroid so I scrub the bathroom almost everyday with bleach. That is sometimes all I do in a day. If I could ever get my house semi clean I may see about having someone every two weeks to do floors and dusting etc. Really, I understand completely.

amykath thanked satine100
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

AK - I admire you - I couldn't cut or color my hair with or without wine!!

amykath thanked 3katz4me
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Saltine, thank you!!! That makes me feel better. Not that you have the same issue as me bc I would not wish it on anyone. However, it is comforting to know I am not alone.

So, the highlights turned out well. I cut my hair and layered it. Hopefully the cut will look ok. I am not about to dry and style it now (not that I ever do really).. but we will see when I do sort of do something to it.. how it looks. It does feel so much better to get rid of the heaviness and have some brightness around my face again. I had a huge obiously line where my lighter hair had grown out. It drove me nuts but I just could not bring myself to get the energy or nerve to take care of it. I am glad I did!

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Ak: a couple of glasses of wine.

PUT THE SCISSORS DOWN! Now is not the time to cut your hair. 😂 🤣

amykath thanked bbstx
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Haha. No worries, I actually think I did my best work this time around.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Sounds like you had a productive day!! As for house cleaning, take care of the clutter first. As mentioned, get into a habit of straightening and wiping down daily. I also like to do a load of laundry most days. Keep a caddy in each bathroom with cleaner and tools. Keep one under kitchen sink with kitchen cleaning products. I also like microfiber cloths. Have some kind of extendable duster. I do not use disposable stiffer products but have a dust mop with a washable cover. I have wood floors other than kitchen, baths and sunroom. I love my steam mop and my motorized cleaned brush (mainly used in bathrooms). I guess I am saying have some good tools to make things easier!

amykath thanked Tina Marie
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I will do that TIna. First I need to get everything really clean and organized then on to the caddys.

• aok27502
    3 years ago

I've never looked at Flylady, but it seems I do some of her methods. I've used the 15 minute trick for years. Especially if I have several tasks or projects to work on, I make a physical list. Then I alternate 15-minute segments between items on the list. Or if I really don't feel like doing something I allow every other 15 minutes segment to be play time. I set the timer, then I play online, or read my book or whatever. When the time timer goes off, I get up and do 15 minutes of productive time. It really is amazing how much you can achieve in 15 minutes, if you are focused and not distracted.

I am very list driven, so I will make a list of even the smallest tasks. I enjoy the satisfaction of crossing things off. Even if they aren't significant achievements, I feel like I've made some progress.

amykath thanked aok27502
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ack, I make lists for everything as well. They do not always get done but it does feel good to cross them off when you have completed a task.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I have found the best source for microfiber cloths is the automotive section at Walmart. Same material as the ones advertised for your house but loads cheaper.

Clutter in my home depresses me, literally. I’ve also found that if there is a lot of disorganization around me it interferes with my mental acuity. I got good advice from a neighbor when I was a very young newly wed. She said before going to bed each night, make a quick run through the house and pick up anything that is out of place and put it where it belongs. I’ve passed that advice down to DD and she does the same thing.

I’m an inveterate list maker, too. Without them, I would never get anything accomplished. As much as I love my phone and my iPad, I want my lists to be on paper. I like the physical act of crossing off items on the list.

amykath thanked bbstx
  • straitlover
    3 years ago

AK, I am a horrible house keeper myself (single, live alone). You have gotten many good suggestions that I need to follow myself. I too love cats, but I do not have any. I rented a room from a lady for a year or so to save money to buy my house (mid 90's). She had a Maine Coon cat, and the hair was everywhere! You had to wipe down the stove an countertops any time you wanted to use them. I decided then that I would not have any indoor animals in my new house!

My one suggestion would be about the laundry. Do you provide the washer or does the landlord? I don't know your situation w/ COVID and working, but if you get one of the new stimulus checks coming and can afford it, I would buy a new washer. I don't have the latest, greatest one (it's HE but is a top load w/ an agitator that you can set the water level so it cleans better than my old top load HE plus all the clothes actually get wet!), but it cleans my clothes, and most of my stuff I can use the speed wash and a load is done in 20 minutes. I do a way better job keeping up with my laundry with this machine than I did with my old one that didn't have the speed wash option.

amykath thanked straitlover
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Not to beat a dead horse, but Flylady's web site was the first place I was exposed to the idea that clutter is related to cleaning. This was before Marie Kondo and before all those organizing/de-cluttering TV shows and before helping folks get rid of stuff became an actual career! I never had much of a clutter problem before I got my first house, since I was a person of modest means, lived in small apartments and moved a lot. I didn't accumulate much stuff. But when I got my house, without realizing it, I developed a clutter problem. Suddenly I had the space to display a lot of decorative tchotchkes, and the space for lots of dishes, linens, books, etc. Also folks moved out of their big house and I took in a lot of their stuff. But because one has the space doesn't mean it should all be filled. So I had to take a long hard look at my spaces and analyze what wasn't working for me, and redesign how I organized my home. Goodbye to all the "good ideas" that in reality weren't working.

For example, candles. I love scented candles and candlelight and burning candles. So I had candles everywhere on display. But candles have to be minded, and in reality, I rarely used the candles, in many cases not at all. I took a lot of decorative candle holders to Goodwill, and consolidated all my other candles and put them in a cupboard. No more visual candle clutter, no more dusting, and if I do want to burn a candle at some point in time, I can get one out, burn it, and then put it away. I did the same thing with houseplants, they took up too much time and maintenance. I kept a few, but put them all in one sunny room on an etagiere by a window with easy access to a water source. Same with books, I love them but don't need them stacked everywhere, put them on a few bookshelves, organized so can always get them out if needed. Same with photos, not needed on every space, put all on one shelf, I pass by it often and can look at them all together. Same with art on the walls, consolidate, don't need random pictures hanging everywhere, put like items together in spots where you can enjoy and leave other spots clear, to rest your eyes. Another example, I had my desk in a corner of the living room, for bill paying, correspondence, etc. Visual clutter. I put all the stuff from the desktop into boxes with lids, and put on a shelf. I can take the boxes out and set on the table if I need to pay bills or want to write a note, but afterwards the box goes back on the shelf and presents a clean, clear enclosed square outline, instead of papers, pens, checkbook, calculator, etc. Filing goes into boxes too. Not having that visually cluttered desk in my living room make the space instantly calmer and easier to clean. Etc. etc., etc.

Invest in some simple, closed organizing storage, you are worth it! Also do the whole thing where you get rid of stuff that does not bring you joy. If you like scarves, for example, keep a few for pleasure but pare down!! And on it goes. Organizing and de-cluttering goes hand and hand forever with cleaning. I'm not sure one can ever stop having to declutter. Less stuff and less frequent clutter battles, and less time spent to do it is probably a reasonable goal however. Might as well get started we're all spending more time at home anyway, game on!

Edited to second what SL just posted! Not having to schelp down to the laundry room in an apt complex or to the laundromat was one of the greatest stress and time relievers of my life! Now I just wish I had a space to fold laundry near the washer and dryer. At my last house I had a laundry room downstairs. Now W&D are in the utility room and there's no nearby space for folding. I take it into the bedroom and put it on the bed, but the habit of immediately folding it and putting it away has yet to get established! I used to so hate the laundry baskets sitting around when I had to cart it all to and from the laundromat.

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks like I really need to get on board with Flylady!

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

I fold my clothes right out of the dryer into the basket. That's what works best for me. Then up those stairs and put everything away.

A load gets folded and put away very quickly. Any more than a load a day and I get a bit overwhelmed. Of course we are in a house and not an apartment so we don't share the laundry.

amykath thanked yeonassky
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Flylady has some fantastic ideas!! She really understands that feeling of being overwhelmed by housework. She also has a book, if memory serves. I haven't visited her site in years but at the time, it was content delivered into my inbox and I found it was too much, too often. I do remember her advice to clean my sink and to build on habits.

The trick is finding a system that resonates with us. Another important thing to keep in mind is to let go of the idea of perfection. Sometimes, when we feel overwhelmed with something that we think we "should" be doing effortlessly or with way more ease, there might be a bunch of "shoulds" shaming us in the back of our mind ("I should be on top of this.", "I should have a spotless kitchen.", etc.). In that case, we're grappling with way more than a housework mess. Getting to the root of the issue becomes more psychological than organizational. Not a bad idea to ask ourselves "why?" anytime we uncover a "should". Sometimes we find we're striving to meet outside ideals that aren't terribly helpful to us right now. Better to turn those "shoulds" into reachable goals that reflect our reality. For example: "I want to get ahead of my laundry because I'm tired of running out of underwear. How can I achieve this? Owning more underwear or laundering more frequently. Which solution can I adopt right now to reach my goal?"

We also have to know ourselves when it comes to keeping house. For example, if we're dealing with chronic clutter, chances are good we're dealing with too much stuff but if the problem persists even after paring down our stuff, we probably haven't organized our stuff in a way that works with our organizational style. I love minimalist interiors but keeping everything behind closed doors doesn't work for me because I'm visual and "out of sight = out of mind". There's no one way perfect of organizing that works for everyone. It's a matter of trying different ways until we find the one that works best for us.

Finally, some sanity-saving mantras:

One thing at a time.

Good enough is good enough.

Don't compare yourself to others.

aktillery, it sounds as if you had a really productive weekend. I'm particularly impressed by your ability to throw out stuff and your haircut and highlights! I hope you gave yourself a huge pat on the back. I'm cheering you on.

amykath thanked tartanmeup
  • User
    3 years ago

I am reading a book written by a behavioral psychologist at Stanford called Tiny Habits. It is proving very useful to me with respect to creating a structure for daily life during the pandemic. I recommend it highly— but skip the forward, which is so boring it might make you put the book down forever. A couple of things I have learned: motivation is a fickle thing. One day you have it, another you don’t. You have more in the morning and less as the day goes on. You can sustain a mighty motivation for a very short period of time....think a parent being highly motivated to rescue a child in a dangerous situation. It’s a one-time event, like running into the street to pull her out of the path of an oncoming car. Motivation for a sustained series of actions needed to turn something into a habit is not reliable enough to make real changes in your life. It is no reflection on you, that is simply the way humans respond. Forget about “willpower!” That’s an incredibly destructive word that makes most people feel bad about themselves, IMO. Instead, try to change something by starting very small, and make it EASY to do and hang it on a prompt that DOES NOT depend on you remembering it.

In your case I would start just by getting the vacuum out of the closet and putting it in the middle of the floor. Every day, put it out, Then put it back each night. Don’t leave it out or it will become invisible (Don’t ask me how I know that, please!). Just the act of getting it out and putting it away is easy. You don’t even have to vacuum! Just get into that habit. Then you can add the action of vacuuming whatever room it’s sitting in. Or even just turning it on and not vacuuming. All the tiny actions that eventually add up to a multi-step process can be started the same way. It’s radical but it does work 😊

• jojoco
    3 years ago

I too hate house cleaning. We have multiple bathrooms and the best tip I can offer anyone is to keep cleaning supplies in each bathroom. Paper towels, windex, counter cleaner, toilet cleaner and brush. They all get stored under the sink. when inspiration strikes (or boring resolve,) it makes it very easy to clean each bathroom And harder to procrastinate (“I have to go get the supplies from...”)

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Not necessary for the Flylady stuff. She is one of hundreds of cleaning and clutter bloggers and gurus. Heck, I think you can stream Marie Kondo's series on Netflix, or at least you could . . . Depends on what floats your boat. I recently watched one of Flylady's videos and she clearly is easily distracted. I could barely follow it, she was filming on her back deck and actually got distracted by a squirrel! So if you are easily overwhelmed by too many things that need to be done, like me, or tend to get distracted, she has some good tips, like setting the timer, etc. But there are plenty of other systems out there. Find one that works for you. I never signed on for any of the e-mail groups, that would just end up being inbox-clutter for me. I have made use of a personal organizer a few times, but that was for a specific point in time, like setting up my office at my house, for example, or moving. Not really relevant fo day to day stuff. Most of the systems however, start by asking you to chose one particular cleaning task to focus on. Flylady chose her kitchen sink, but that is pretty random. But one has to start somewhere. In your case, maybe the vacuum . . . The idea is to eat the elephant one tiny bite at a time . . . it works!

Edited to add on to what KSWL said, getting a vacuum that you really like, or at least find easy and good to use, is very important. I used to have to vacuum my whole dorm cafeteria for my job, and there were several different vacuums. Some made the job heck and some made it quite fine, depending on how ergonomic they were and how well they worked so as to not have to go over spaces again and again. We recently got a new vacuum, a Shark one. Like it, like that it comes apart into a canister vac for smaller spaces and then easy back to whole room size. On the flip side, hubs cleans it so I don't have to worry about that so YMMV.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

You guys are all full of good tips! Hope it's going well ATK.

We have four cats. Although we are pretty tidy, and have gotten rid of stuff as a results of a few moves over the last 16 years, it's crazy keeping up on the cat hair, dust and litter boxes, so I totally get where you're coming from. I recently bought a stick vacuum and I love it. I didn't spring for the Dyson, but it was another one recommended here somewhere and I found it on Amazon. It probably doesn't work as well as a Dyson but it works pretty darn well and has been life changing when it comes to cleaning. I no longer have to get the central vac out or lug our full size Dyson around the house. I vacuum up the tracked litter more often because the stick is so easy to carry around. It's super each to grab each day or a couple of times daily to hit the higher traffic spots.

Another thing I did is created "cat designated" spots around the house so they don't sleep just anywhere. It took some experimenting to find out what they each prefer as far as pet bed, quilt, blanket, etc., In the winter I use heated beds or put heated mats under their cat quilts. So now they sleep on only those spots and I no longer have to clean cat hair from non-protected spots. I also throw a light quilt or sheet over our bed so I'm not constantly washing quilts and comforters.

I also began using Dr. Elsey's Ultra litter just recently - while it still tracks, it's not nearly as bad as all the others, and it's less dusty, too. And believe me, I've tried them all.

One other thing that has helped is that once everything has a place, I have to take care of items as soon as I'm done using them or come across them. When I'm done with laundry, I fold and put away - I don't save it for later anymore. When I find an oddball thing, I go put it in its place rather than stash it somewhere to try and remember to deal with later. I got sick of trying to remember where I stashed those things when I finally needed them, or frantically cleaning before someone was coming over.

It's nice to have kitty cat company, and I love our cats dearly, but I do wonder (and fantasize!) what it's like to have a house with no pets in it. We have probably 6-7 more years at most with our current cats, and then may just foster. A friend of mine is a single woman in her 40's and she loves fostering one cat at a time. She has fostered three cats for the local shelter during this time of Covid.

amykath thanked Bluebell66
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Kwsl, that idea is a little like Flylady's "baby steps" leading over time to a routine.

We stayed with friends who had wood floors throughout their townhouse. Each morning, while waiting for her egg, Angela took her dust mop and did a quick swipe through the main floor. Took her about a minute because she went fast, didn't move furniture, but she could swipe behind the sofa quickly. And bam, the floors looked clean for the day. Till the dog shed some more lol. I keep meaning to get into that habit but...

amykath thanked bpath
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

On organizing, at one time there was a GW forum on organizing. It was never very active, but there was one poster who apparently lived in a small apartment in NYC. She offered some very good advice about organizing, but the one thing that stuck with me was “make it easy to put away.” Her theory was that you will do whatever is necessary to retrieve what you want, but you will procrastinate about putting things away if it takes too much effort. Think about a stack of sweaters. If the one you want is on the bottom, you’ll move the others to get to it. But if you had to move all those sweaters to put one on the bottom, you’d procrastinate about putting it away....at least, I would.

amykath thanked bbstx
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Here’s a kitchen-cleaning tip that is effective, but I do not recommend it: Drop a 3/4 full glass carafe of coffee on a ceramic tile floor, next to the refrigerator.

amykath thanked bpath
  • Moxie
    3 years ago

A friend met a man in a bar who worked for a company that made mops. I guess he assumed that being female she was genetically predisposed to be interested in mops, so he went into quite the mop monologue. When he finally noticed that she wasn't responding, he asked what kind of mop she had. Response: "I don't have one."

Man: "But ... how do you clean your floor?"

Response: "I don't. [Pause to let this novel idea sink in.] I move!"

To say that she was no housekeeper would be a massive understatement.

amykath thanked Moxie
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all of the tips and the funny thoughts.

Things are going well. I have been picking up and cleaning up after myself.... which helps a great deal. I still have stuff to do but it is coming along!!

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Since I do the timer thing, some friends gifted me with some mixed music CDs divided into 15 min. segments. There are a lot of ways you can add music to make cleaning less onerous. Spotify has actual housecleaning channels that folks have shared, probably Pandora too. I like to actually listen to NPR sometimes too, and there are podcasts and books on tape . . .

• bpath
    3 years ago

Footloose and That Thing You Do soundtracks are my housecleaning music. Podcasts for decluttering.

My mom used to say, "Many a nickel makes a mickel." Mickel is an old word for a lot. It works for a lot of things, like decluttering a little every day (or two) adds up to a clearer space.

amykath thanked bpath
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

I’m not a Spotify subscriber, but I seriously thought about subscribing just to get the playlist featured in this article. Even the snippets motivated me to clean!

amykath thanked bbstx