SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Those with curly hair, please step inside

eld6161
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I want to see if I can manage my frizzy wavy hair without blow drying.

I am tired of reverting to the pony tail during these hot Humid days.

Educate me on your regime. I am assuming I have to also find a stylist for curly hair, as the cut is also important.

Today I tried a Paul Mitchell leave in condition and. Deva gel recommenced by my sister. Her hair is more curly than wavy. Not too bad, but I think I can do better.

please share products and tricks.

TIA

Comments (85)

• leona_2008
    3 years ago

Fairly recent curly convert here after a lifetime of hating and complaining. I spent hours and hours checking youtube videos and browsing the naturallycurly.com site, which is for every type of curl there is, meaning there is a lot of good info but you have to wade through a lot that won't apply to you. I wish I had found this girl's blog much, much sooner. She has drop-dead gorgeous, curly hair. My curls are much tighter than hers so I will never have those big bouncy girls but I can get a looser curl following her instructions. From seeing your photo, I bet you have the same type of curl that she does.

https://www.curlsandbeautydiary.com/start-here-curly-hair/

I went to a Deva Curl stylist and have only used their products because I am tired of wasting hope and money on products that disappoint. You can find a Deva Curl stylist in your area on their site. No, I am not affiliated with them.

https://www.devacurl.com/us

cmm1964, your hair is beautiful

eta: Reread what I wrote. I'll leave it cause who doesn't need a laugh these days? I won't ever have those big bouncy curls either. lol.

eld6161 thanked leona_2008
  • nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

DLM, Eld, here is a pic of the two products. And I second/third the suggestion of a satin pillow and a satin hair cap at night.

and here is a picture of my hair straightened with a flat iron which I did for many years and simply got tired of the time and effort.

eld6161 thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Related Discussions

Does anyone here have naturally curly hair?

Q

Comments (2)
    I also joined Yahoo! Answers & asked there, as well as Utah members on another forum site I've belonged to since 2003.
    ...See More

Please show me how to hide the hair dryer,etc...

Q

Comments (55)
    I don't understand the "standard cords are not meant to be flexible" part. All electrical cords that I own are flexible (not rigid) My hairdyer is connected to the outlet behind a drawer in my vanity. It's no different than if it (hairdryer) was sitting on top of my vanity and plugged into the wall just above the vanity. It's used the same way, it's just placed lower and out of sight. The bulk of the cord is IN the drawer that my hairdyer is in. Monica
    ...See More

Once Curly Hair Now Straight

Q

Comments (35)
    I always had hair straight as a stick, fine & thin! Last year I began to get very stressed about things & my hair fell out in big chunks! My scalp also had something like psoriasis & dermatitis in it as well. I went to a knowledgeable dermatologist. She said that it was all from stress but I had also created a problem with my scalp that was very hard to heal. She gave me both a medication to destroy the scalp problem as well as minoxidil (men's strength) to bring my hair back. Even though I am 68 yrs. old I have very few gray hairs, but have red hair. Anyway as I began to use both medications as well as "calm down" my hair began growing back, curly & much thicker than before. I had tried minoxidil several times with just a little success. I was floored with how well it worked & how quickly the medication had healed my scalp problem as well! Many in my family have curly hair, but mine was always totally straight. Just wondered what might have caused my hair to become so curly! It looks just like my brother's now! I am NOT unhappy to have my hair coming back so fast, even if it is very curly!
    ...See More

Hair products for short hair

Q

Comments (28)
    If you want the spiky look, then mousse would probably give you the finish you want. My hair has gotten some curl in it which tends to get unruly in the summer, so I've found "It's a 10" leave in conditioner which seems to control and add a lot of shine. I get the walmart equate version though. I figure if it's popular enough for walmart to copy it, it must be well received in general. This is me on vacation in ID, just toodling around...I also don't color my hair...never have and am delighted to not have to start...yet anyway. But short hair is wonderful. It takes me 30 sec to dry my hair and go. Last thing I want to do is complicate my life. Congrats on the new do!
    ...See More
  • Eileen
    3 years ago

If I used the conditioner or moisturizer in the quantities recommended, with my fine texture, my hair would look greasy or wet. I don't want a wet or crunchy look, just soft curls.

I used to wear my hair shoulder length and layered like yours, eld. I know they say the layers will bring out the curls, but they actually cut the curl before it can do a complete curve. My hair doesn't really start to curl until about the top of my ears. So I went shorter and one length.

Here's when DH gave me a COVID cut and cut my hair shorter than it'd ever been before. It's still a little damp from the cut and could use a little scrunching with the leave-in conditioner. It's bouncier than a long layered cut and I really like it.

eld6161 thanked Eileen
  • hhireno
    3 years ago

^that is a nice cut and curl. And your husband cut it?! Is he taking appointments?

eld6161 thanked hhireno
  • Eileen
    3 years ago

It was his first attempt and he's cut it again since then. It's a simple cut but he got it even and that's all I ever ask from my hairdresser. I may never go back to her!

eld6161 thanked Eileen
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ThanksNuts. I can’t make out the Keratin product though.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Eld, I think it says “BioKeratin Luxury Collection” and below that “Keratin Anti-frizz Smoothing Cream”. I believe BioKeratin is the brand.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Reading all the steps that the blogger from leona_2008's post makes me tired just thinking about it! I have wavy/frizzy/sometimes curly hair, and it can be quicker and easier to just straighten it!

What's been best for me has been to grow my hair out, including bangs. My bangs were the worst when there was any humidity or moisture in the air.

Am I the only wavy/curly hair person that feels that different styles of clothing look better with curly or straight hair? There are some things that I just don't think look right with sort of wild curly hair.

eld6161 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Terezosa, I have never thought that......interesting.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Terri is, yes, I too feel more comfortable with my hair straightened with most situations and clothes. Once I retired, it’s been liberating to not have to worry about straightening.

• User
    3 years ago

Terriks, my bangs were the work of the devil. I was able to grow them out, because yes they were unmanageable. They were very annoying during the growing out phase but I'm glad they are gone.

Chemical relaxer and argan oil, along with heat protectant spray and a flat iron, turned my hair into something that passed as almost normal. But as mentioned upthread I've gone 7 months without relaxer so it's getting pretty kinky around here.

eld6161 thanked User
  • salonva
    3 years ago

I always have said, and continue to say, that in my next life, II have already requested straight hair. Doesn't have to be pin straight, but it will be straight hair. No question about it.

eld6161 thanked salonva
  • Hogette-gw
    3 years ago

I have nothing to add. Lived with this for so long.

• User
    3 years ago

Hogette - sing it to me sister! It feels nice to talk to people who understand. When I was younger I would have about killed for normal hair. As I've aged I've made some peace with it.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

hogette - you, and your hair are beautiful!

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

My hair is naturally curly, and I agree with the statements that you can take steps one day with good results, and the same steps the next day with different results. I learned long ago that I didn't have much control over my curls, so I don't have a tried-and-true method to share.

All of the photos above, though, show beautiful hair. We are harder on ourselves than we need to be. And it's always the case of the grass being greener... I'm so envious of naturally straight hair, while I have random strangers compliment my curls. Just a few weeks ago, a woman at least 20 years my junior said she loved my curly hair and hated straightening hers. I told her I straighten my hair when I need to be more professional.

Nutsaboutplants, I recall your prior sharing about your Cetaphil fluk, and I have that product. I'm going to try it.

eld6161 thanked Feathers11
  • salonva
    3 years ago

I will say that since I stopped using the stiffening kind of gel from a few years ago and now just leave in moisturizing conditioner and let it dry , my hair feels really nice and soft and healthy.

It does not look any better, sorry to say ( and I keep thinking about going back to coloring it again) but it does feel nicer.

eld6161 thanked salonva
  • salonva
    3 years ago

Good reminder- I still haven't tried the Cetaphil Moisturizer. I remember looking for it in the store after reading this, and kept thinking how there are so many products I wasn't sure it was the one. Now I will have a new focus to look for and maybe even buy it and try it.

My hair still is feeling really nice and soft, but still looking pretty crappy.. I have mostly made peace with that but still do entertain a keratin treatment and or coloring. (If I did not act to buy a moisturizing lotion to try in all this time, it's not likely I will be calling a salon and getting those services either)

• aok27502
    3 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad it got bumped. I also intended to try the Cetaphil, and forgot.

Yesterday I got about 4" cut off, it now just brushes my shoulders when dry. I have saved the picture of Eileen's cut, I will show it to the stylist nest time and say "this! Do this!"

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

"Rachel Hunter" bumped the thread. A known necrospam editor.

• salonva
    3 years ago

I didn't catch the name...isn't that Rod Stewart's ex? and she was empathizing with us? Cool!!! but I was happy for the reminder to look for the cetaphil lotion.:)

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

The deadspammer has also been at it on the other side. What a dork.

eld6161 thanked IdaClaire
  • SEA SEA
    3 years ago

Thanks to the spammer, seriously, there is an example of what I was going for with my dead presidents haircut in November. The photo of nutsaboutplants upthread where she's with her friends, three people in the photo, she has dark hair. I hoped my hair would look like that. She looks great!! She has more and better hair than me, but I still hold out hope...I tweaked the cut two days ago. It looks better, but last night dd asked me where the party was. Said I had party hair. Not sure if that means I'm on the right track or not, but at least I was not compared to some guy who lived 200 years ago.

Nice hair ladies. This thread was a first view for me, so it was fun to wade through.

eld6161 thanked SEA SEA
  • IdaClaire
    3 years ago

It's so funny how we sometimes see ourselves! Once when I had long, layered hair (was supposed to have been blonde, but had gone all brassy-yellow) and was wearing my glasses, it occurred to me that I looked exactly like Garth from Wayne's World. Party on.

• SEA SEA
    3 years ago

Hahaha! Yea, I have to be careful, lest my hair can look like Garth's too. It's a struggle. Hahaha!

• salonva
    3 years ago

and I can easily be Rosannadanna of the pyramid hair.

• SEA SEA
    3 years ago

Haha salonva

• User
    3 years ago

Me too Salonva. That's actually what my "normal" hair looks like if I don't wage a chemical war on it. :)

I also forget to try the Cetaphil. Maybe it's the miracle cream we've all been looking for....

I need to go add that to my grocery list right now!

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

I did buy the Cetaphil moisturizer way back when, but still haven't tried it in my hair. Maybe today's the day.

• aok27502
    3 years ago

I bought a wee bottle of Cetaphil today. Will report back after my next shower.

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

I know everyone always loves what they don't have, so of course I love all the curls! I have waves, but since I've let it grow longer, I don't always have morning hair (so nice to get up and brush, not have to wet/dry again!). My hairstylist had a new (to her) product a few months ago. It smoothed my hair aka no frizz. I converted to their products (shampoo, conditioner, and Dream Coat). Was it as great when we were in Florida over a month ago and the wind was blowing all day? Nope, had frizz, but not as bad. If you decide to try, sign up for text alerts. They put things 20% to 30% off ALL the time, but seem to do one product at a time.

• salonva
    3 years ago

Bwahahaha thank you so much Rachel.

• User
    3 years ago

Sometimes I wish I had a fly swatter. Totally.

(ETA, this was in response to a spammer, who has since been zapped.... )

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Seeing this thread after a long time. As one of the few posters who mentioned cetaphil, I hope I didn’t oversell the cetaphil idea. I have extremely coarse hair. A whole lot of it too. And with huge waves. The cetaphil works for me by pretty much weighing down my fright of a hair. Otherwise, my hair literally balloons 3-4 inches in all directions. (SEASEA, you’re so kind.)

I am feeling nervous now, as I don’t know how it works on fine curly hair.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I am lucky in that I have wavy hair that I can (usually!) scrunch or air dry to look more on the curly side. I cannot imagine myself with straight hair! Thankfully, I don't have frizz, but now that I have let my color grow out, I am experiencing alot of "baby hairs" (new hair growth). Sometimes it is noticeable at the part and hairline. I can generally put a bit of gel, conditioner, whatever and rub together in my hands and over that area to smooth. I have thick hair, and it doesn't seem like it's getting thicker, but I wonder if no more coloring is giving me a growth boost??? My hair never looked unhealthy, but my last haircut, my hair gal commented on what good shape it was in (not dry).

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Way back in my youth, when I lived in muggy southern Ohio, my hair was much curlier than it is now (it is thinner now, too), had a mind of its own, and yes, could get frizzy and "big" unless I used a boatload of Dippity-Do (okay, that totally reveals my age, doesn't it?)

But, late in high school I discovered that if I aggressively conditioned my hair - "over-conditioned" it would probably be called today - the frizz and curl were tamed.

IIRC I used either Wella Kolestral, or a Clairol product that doesn't seem to be available now. Both came in tubes like VO5 does but were a creamy type conditioner product. I would slather it on and leave it for 2 hours or so, then wash. Usually would take at least 2 latherings to remove the product adequately, but then my hair would be very soft, silky, shiny, and able to be styled - and this would last for a while (at least a week or more, again IIRC).

• cmm1964
    3 years ago

Allison be aware the Dream coat product contains silicone. While it makes for great smooth frizz free hair it also seals the hairs cuticle and doesn’t enable it to absorb moisture. You may need a clarifying shampoo every once in awhile to get a fresh start. I didn’t look up the type of silicone it was and it may be possible it’s water so,unless which is kinder to your hair. I use the Deva line right now.

• aok27502
    3 years ago

Nutsaboutplants, I have the same hair as you. Thick, definitely not fine, and curls with a mind of it's own. Ringlets and frizz at the same time. And I live in the humid south. 😳 I'm happy to give the Cetaphil a shot, what's the harm? My hair will look weird under my bike helmet? Yeah, so? 😆

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

@cmm1964 Thanks. I think their silicone is okay though. I've been using for months but never used a clarifying shampoo. I bought their Dream Filter mineral remover, but haven't used yet.

From their website:

If it's waterproof, how do I get it out of my hair?
    Shampoo removes the product. Effects last through 3 to 4 shampoos.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

I used the Cetaphil in my hair yesterday, but I was too tired/lazy to scrunch it into curls before I went to bed. I sleep with my hair in a bun on top of my head, so any effect that it may have had is now gone. But my hair doesn't feel weighed down or dirty.

• Honu3421
    3 years ago

I’m intrigued with the idea of using Cetaphil and it’s on my list. My hair fine, but thick with lots of body. For self preservation, I learned early to embrace the concept of studied disarray. When it was shorter I was able to scrunch it into curls but now that it is longer, I get more surface frizz and waves. I calm it down with “just the right amount” of product. After washing I clip it into a lose cross between French roll and messy bun while it dries. Here are the products I am currently using:

I use two small pumps of this from mid lengths to ends.

And a smidgen of this one rubbed on my palms with a few drops of water.

This is the bun I put up

and this is the almost dry result. Still wavy but calmed down.

ETA: sorry for the humongous photos! I selected small and don’t know why they are so huge...

eld6161 thanked Honu3421
  • sushipup1
    3 years ago

"BrandonArnold" is a known spammer.

• salonva
    3 years ago

Interesting sushi, but that is a legitimate product. I used it years ago- not sure if it's still around but hey at least it's a legit and appropriate comment!

I went today to buy the cetaphil lotion and wouldn't you know- they had like 4 different ones.......so I have to now study the photo above so I get the right one!!!!

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

The spammer is known for posting short comments and then coming back a few days later to edit the post to include a spam link.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

You could say he's a real "pro" at it.

🙄

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

I'm hesitant to post a picture of my wavy hair here as my latest picture doesn't look particularly smooth but I do like tigi Bed Head after party for smoothing.

• salonva
    3 years ago

thanks for the explanation sushi--- bumble I would be thrilled to have such well behaved hair. looks great!

• Honu3421
    3 years ago

I just ordered Bed Head After Party. Thanks, Bumble. and did I tell you your hair is beautiful? So excited! It arrives Friday. I’m still in the lookout for Cetaphil Lotion. It’s on sale here and I haven’t found it on the shelves. Hmmm. Maybe I should order that, too. Off to add to my shopping cart!

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Note that several days ago "Rachel Hunter" edit her necropost to add spam. Please go back and locate it and flag it. Thanks.

• Freya Palmer
    2 years ago

Paul Mitchell leave-in is awesome, but if you need something more powerful, I'd recommend trying a Mizani complex. It contains a shampoo (Moisture Replenish Shampoo), leave-in (I use the one for relaxed hair), mask (moisture fusion), and a heat protectant if you use heat tools. I do have frizz in my hair and Mizani works like a charm to moisturize and smoothen it.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County