SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salonva

My kitchen---Finally- Before and (almost) after

salonva
3 years ago

Kitchen is about 90 to 95% done at this point. Waiting on 2 glass doors (where it's empty) and the backsplash.

I hardly have any before photos, because it was such a source of irritation to me. It was the original kitchen I think built in 1995 , only the fridge had been updated. Started out thinking maybe we would just have the cabinets painted and then upgrade everything else......one thing leads to another and .....I don't make decisions easily but it's finally done.

I (we ) are thrilled with the results. Absolutely thrilled. I couldn't decide about white cabinets or wood, as I love them both. I finally thought a compromise of white perimeter and wood island would work and I love it.

First is the listing photo of the kitchen.

Here after we moved in, with my stuff NOT cleaned up. As I said, it was not a source of pride for me.

It was not a bad layout, but the peninsula area was tight, and it had that small corner sink and so on. Toyed with just enlarging the peninsula area, but ultimately decided on this. I will take more photos but this is basically done.

Will post more later, but for now I can say I am elated.

Comments (52)

• Jar G
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What’s on the wall opposite the sink? it seems like wasted space. What color are the lights over the island? I think you need the backsplash to tie it all together.

salonva thanked Jar G
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Beautiful!! That counter is absolutely gorgeous. So glad you're elated with your new kitchen. Such an expensive room to do with way too many choices to make. The new layout and materials elevate the space tremendously. Hope your new kitchen brings you much joy for many years, salonva. Looking forward to more pics and details.

salonva thanked tartanmeup
  • Related Discussions

Guest Bath (almost) finished - Before and After Pics

Q

Comments (18)
    jillsee - thank you! It's actually a cheap-o Home Depot vanity/sink combo. This bathroom is not used a lot and we figured if our icky builder-grade cabinets lasted as long as they have, surely this would last awhile, too. :) I'm quite happy with the look and the whole thing has a pretty substantial feel to it, especially compared to what we had in there before. Plus, it was several inches less deep than the previous cabinet and really opens up the space a lot. When we re-do the master bath, we'll spring for higher quality cabinetry. But this vanity works really well for this space.
    ...See More

Before and (almost) After Photos

Q

Comments (27)
    Hi, Beth! Your home is beautiful - more so now that you've put your heart (and soul & sweat & $$, lol) into it! She wasn't "sad", so much as "waiting for you"! Regarding the refinished floor, with the area in the center that was unfinished wood... In mine, upstairs, there are 2 "linoleum rugs" that didn't extend to the walls. The area under is unfinished, although the peremiter is. Is it possible the PO's removed them? I have pics of one of mine, I'll post them tonight - I'll even take a pic w/an edge pulled up, so you can compare. It's not held down well anymore. The other rug is still covered with w2w carpet. I caught a glimpse when I lifted a carpet corner WAY up. Hubby nipped that in the bud... Another day, lol! I don't have a link for you right now - and kids are calling - but google "linoleum rug", maybe with "old house" thrown on, and you'll see what I'm talking about. A side "weird" note.. I'd painted this room (& much of the rest of house) in the light sage green for 2nd sons nursery. Removed carpet a year later - and could not have picked better color to match if I'd taken a flooring sample to the paint store! You have a beautiful home - the love she's getting shows!
    ...See More

Help before I ruin my almost finished kitchen

Q

Comments (39)
    lucretzia, I happen to love the color of your cabinets - I'm glad your planning to find a way to love them too :) I happen to like the terracota backsplash w/your other choices - and like that you trust your gut w/colors and materials the way you do - it will work out beautifully, I think. You're getting great recommendations for hardware - I found mine at Te Ma (by accident) looking online - turns out this small company is within 10 miles of my house (I'd no idea) and so I was able to take advantage of a their factory sale. I've a sense you might find their hardware attractive.
    ...See More

Before and (almost) after

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks all! More to come this week. The granite is juparana delicatus and I lovvvveeeee it! It really is even better IRL. The floor... I'm glad you like it Jess! I know it probably won't be popular here but it's good old pergo in richland hickory. It might be a mistake with water in the kitchen, but after my unexpected love affair with the granite, I cheaped out for the floor. (Over improving is a real risk here, and I know this won't be ours forever.). And really I kept coming back to that sample so why not. And gagesgranny- funny you ask about the ceiling because it's on schedule to be painted. It's really a yellow/cream. O and these are the much debated slate appliances. I like them!
    ...See More
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am not the best picture taker and I promise to show the rest of the room. Thank you for the nice comments. The important part is I love it.

Opposite the sink- on the other side of the island is most definitely NOT wasted space--

the refrigerator, pantry closet, and a book case.

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The lights are called silver gold so they are a mix of both. They don't "match " the other gold hardware on the pulls, but they work for me. :)

• shopping101
    3 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love all of your choices. The island looks so much better than the peninsula.

salonva thanked shopping101
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

So bright and pretty, and the DW is in the correct location! Thank you. ;)

salonva thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is across from the sink-

and the bookcase which is framed next to the fridge ( still working on display)

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Now you are officially in the ABB club. All but the backsplash!

salonva thanked eld6161
  • Jar G
    3 years ago

Much better use of that wall. There is still something that is off for me. I think it might be the paint color, though a backsplash would cover most of that up. It might also be the flooring.

salonva thanked Jar G
  • chicagoans
    3 years ago

Beautiful! Congrats and enjoy!

What is your countertop material? It's really lovely.

salonva thanked chicagoans
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

salonva, I keep collages of pics to illustrate layout suggestions. May I include a pic of your side-loading fridge cabinet?

• Elaine Ricci
    3 years ago

What a stunning transformation! Well done!

salonva thanked Elaine Ricci
  • jlj48
    3 years ago

Very pretty!

salonva thanked jlj48
  • Jar G
    3 years ago

Tartanmeup - Thanks for your input random stranger. Id say its as useful as mine, except for the fact that my comments had actual use whereas yours only serves the purpose of making yourself feel superior. If there had been no cabinets on the wall opposite the island functionality could have been improved with them. A backsplash will definitely improve the kitchen and paint can always be added. Have a nice day, hope you feel good about yourself!

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I appreciate the comments. As I said, I am really happy with it. Tartan is not a random stranger on the internet; she comments often and gives very helpful and informative advice.

The kitchen was finished at the end of June, and I hesitated sharing it. I hesitated because I know we are thrilled with it, but I also know there were some "rules" that were broken. For us, it works and it works great.

I feel great about it, and I deliberately mentioned that and the fact that it is done done ( except for backsplash- ABB @eld6161) actually just decided and purchased it today.

Yes initially that wall was all wasted space, and now as you can see has the fridge and teh bookcase . However, why would you - AFTER the fact -say that something seems like it's a waste or poor use.?

It's not that you have to only praise, but there are ways of saying things.

As a matter of fact, it could be the floor. In some lights it works great and in others, it's questionable. That was a decision I made - to keep the floor.

Also the paint color- I am very happy with it. When I decided on the paint, I was torn between going dramatic or going soft. I told DH that this soft would be fine, and if down the road we thought it needed or we wanted dramatic, there isn't so much wall to paint, that we could address it then.

@tartanmeup for whatever reason it won't let me thank you or like your comment. ha.

Thanks for the nice comments.

@chicagoansThe countertop is a quartzite called Nacarado. Most pix of it on the internet are way more orange/red. This one is a lot softer and I love it.

@mama goose_gw zn6OH ~ for sure you are welcome to use the photo. ( my skills are not wonderful but if you want- I can try another ).

• traci_from_seattle
    3 years ago

I think it looks great! Good amount of storage for a kitchen that isn’t huge, and a good layout. I wouldn’t have thought you have room for an island but it definitely works. Enjoy cooking in your new kitchen. Can’t wait to see the backsplash!

salonva thanked traci_from_seattle
  • Jar G
    3 years ago

Well firstly your photos didnt show that wall at first so i presumed nothing was on it because who would only show half a kitchen. Second, you said the kitchen was incomplete and the paint didn’t look like it had been changed. I’m sorry you‘re offended. I never trashed your kitchen and made suggestions and pointed out improvements. I was unaware this forum is purely for gushing about kitchens and offering effusive praise. I guess we all want a participation medal now and then.

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @Jar G. Fair enough. I guess Who would show half a kitchen --- would be me. II can see that was misleading.

Your delivery was quite a bit less than ideal. You might have asked "what is opposite the sink" as opposed to "waste of space".

Just a suggestion for you.

I don't need or expect or want a participation medal. I don't know how to interpret that statement in any kind or innocent way. I think it's downright rude.

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh and thank you @traci_from_seattle To be honest, we have 2 empty drawers and a whole cabinet in the island that is pretty much empty. It's heaven!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

I think the layout is much improved - good work, and enjoy it!

The thing is, Jar G, she didn't ask for suggestions to change or add to the work she described as finished except for 2 doors and the backsplash. To keep insisting on doing so is a little tone deaf, sorry. This forum is not just for "effusive praise"; there are many many posts asking for suggestions and advice and those posts are where input should occur.

I am sure that you will have valuable suggestions for many other appropriate posts in the future.

salonva thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Jar G
    3 years ago

I guess if someone were to post photos of their kitchen with a huge empty wall of nothing I should just tell them how amazing it looks rather than questioning the deficiency. Its not like someone ever overlooked a problem because they were told white lies by people who are afraid to be honest. Is asking what is on a wall and saying it looks like wasted space really that much of an insult? If so, I suggest all of you grow thicker skin. I asked a question, I did not insult the kitchen. Perhaps I should have been more tactful like raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio whose compliments were pretty backhanded in my opinion. Nothing like complimenting a layout when you have nothing nice to say about how a kitchen looks!

• MizLizzie
    3 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous and so functional. Can’t wait to see the backsplash.

salonva thanked MizLizzie
  • jemimabean
    3 years ago

That awful feeling when you’re embarrassed for someone...

Salonva, congratulations on your gorgeous kitchen! It’s such a fantastic upgrade that it’s hard to believe that it is the same space. I love the built-in bookshelf detail. We didn’t make all the right choices in our kitchen remodel, but one that I love is a special detail like that (a built-in corner hutch for teacups). We’re also in the all but backsplash category, so I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose. Congrats again!

salonva thanked jemimabean
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Heavenly! That countertop steals the show. The cabinets are incredibly lovely. What a beautiful kitchen!

salonva thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • comer99
    3 years ago

Your kitchen is so elegant and just lovely. Well done! Looking forward to photos with the backsplash.

salonva thanked comer99
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Complimenting a layout is the best compliment on a kitchen design forum! There is nothing backhanded in raee_gw's post. As others have stated, the time to make suggestions, or critique, is in the planning stage, when an OP asks for help. When a finished kitchen is posted, if you don't think it looks amazing, it's better to say nothing. Jar G, you don't have many posts under your belt, so your first post, although inept, was forgivable. But now you're just belaboring the point.

salonva, the pics are fine--I took the liberty of editing out your finger ;). If you'd rather I use a different pic, shoot me a PM when it's posted and I'll change it, then when I use the collage, I'll try to remember to give you credit.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    3 years ago

Wow! What an amazing change, salonva. I hope you'll very happy in your new, beautiful, and more efficient kitchen! Love the blue and white touches in the bookcase. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

For those new to the Kitchen forum and its longstanding culture, honesty and bluntness are often solicited in the planning stage. But in the reveals, when the GW member has already expended time, energy, and money and is either in love with their new baby or weary of the process or both, the general rule is that if you can't say anything nice, don't say it.

salonva thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Silly me - I had not recognized the veiled negative comments until you made sure to explain the backhanded "praise". Thank you again Jared.

Anyway, I enjoy my adequate kitchen and I am so glad you were able to reach deep within and offer a positive comment. There is hope yet.

Hopefully the backsplash will be done soon. I am looking forward to it.

I will likely be starting another thread or two looking for advice about other rooms in my house. I look forward to the input.

• waverly6
    3 years ago

Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen. You made lovely choices and it is light and bright with lots of contrast and interest. In particular I love your lighting and beautiful countertops. I bet you find that layout so much more efficient. I like your layout on the shelving. I think its very cohesive. It's really hard to pull display shelving together and you have done it very cleverly.

Well done on it all.

salonva thanked waverly6
  • Donna P
    3 years ago

Can I ask how large your pantry is? I'm looking at the same layout on a wall in my kitchen for an upcoming remodel so I was thrilled to see your pics for a better visual. Also doing white cabinets. Yours looks lovely :-)

salonva thanked Donna P
  • heatheron40
    3 years ago

I love it! I imagine it is so much more efficient to work in too. I love an island. Can't wait to see the backsplash, please share when it's done.

salonva thanked heatheron40
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

Salonva, you probably posted but, what is the counter?

salonva thanked eld6161
  • eam44
    3 years ago

Well done @salonva! And during a pandemic - you get extra points for perseverance. I’m so happy for you. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen in the best of health.

Oh gosh, I have a great backsplash tile for you! Not that you asked, and of course there are many other options (white, other colors from your stone...) but when I saw your counters I thought, Sand Dune. It has crazing and some variability. It’s perfectly fine if it’s not what you want, I just thought I’d pass it along. It’s Fireclay Tile (of course).

salonva thanked eam44
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What a very nice good morning to read your comments. I had almost forgotten about this thread-.

The pantry was already there ( one of the only things the Previous Owner did that I appreciate lol). It is 43 inches wide inside. Donna P I cannot "tag" so hope you see this

Eld The countertop is Nacarado quartzite. When I googled it, the slabs shown are much more orange and red. I had looked at numerous granite yards and actually had in mind a dark countertop. When I saw this one I liked it immediately but wasn't sure about it. I brought DH back with me and he liked it as well so decision made. It has the perfect mix of colors in my opinion.

Eam- That does look gorgeous.....but I did already decide ( and purchase) a plainer subway tile in a creamy white .Oyster Color Subway tile and I purchased white grout which is what shows in the picture from Floor and Decor. (00 grout white). Does that sound right?

Since the counter is so dramatic I was thinking that contrast color for grout would be too jarring.

Anyway, I am the queen of second guessing and indecision so this was a major accomplishment for me and while there are a few things I might have changed (now looking through the rearview mirror) I am still 99% delighted. Still waiting on the glass doors, and backsplash install.

Again, thank you so much for turning this back into a pleasant and rewarding experience.

• mainenell
    3 years ago

Wonderful improvement in function! And I really like the bookcase next to the fridge. Every kitchen needs a place for the cookbooks!

salonva thanked mainenell
  • wiscokid
    3 years ago

Looks just lovely, salonva. Love the bookcase for the cookbooks too!

salonva thanked wiscokid
  • poorgirl
    3 years ago

Very nice transformation! Well done!

salonva thanked poorgirl
  • eam44
    3 years ago

Sounds great to me. Well done!

salonva thanked eam44
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you--- I could swear I had pasted a photo of the proposed backsplash tile --Here it is .

• Rs S
    3 years ago

Such a well done and beautiful transformation! I really like your backsplash choice. And btw, I had to laugh out loud at your “ queen of second guessing” comment! I thought I was queen of that! Lol

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Ooo, I really like your backsplash choice, salonva!! Beautiful.

salonva thanked tartanmeup
  • jennsbabysky
    3 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love the countertop and the color choice. The soft warmth is really inviting. I hope you enjoy your kitchen, you've done a fabulous job. I adore the overall feeling of your kitchen and might have to drool a little over your countertop in particular. Please post photos of your backsplash, I can't wait to see it.

salonva thanked jennsbabysky
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    3 years ago

salonva, that tile is the perfect finishing touch. And the price is right, too!

salonva thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Donna P
    3 years ago

Thank you for supplying the pantry width :-) I have an almost identical plan for my kitchen as your pantry wall so seeing yours helps me with the visual. How deep is it? Do you have shelves on 3 sides or just down the middle? I love your countertop!

salonva thanked Donna P
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Donna- the pantry was the existing one there- a closet with wire shelves.

Size wise it's great- we keep thinking about putting in better shelving (there is also shelving on the doors) but since it's functional and behind closed doors.. it hasn't been a priority. So it's just shelves going from one wall to the other. The shelves are 18 inches deep but the closet itself is 25 if that makes sense.

• rolling1876
    3 years ago

Love it!!! I am having my kitchen remodeled and am doing white cabinets with the exact same backsplash. I have not picked out the countertops yet but am loving yours! What color white did you go with on your cabinets?

salonva thanked rolling1876
  • Jar G
    3 years ago

@rolling1876 Before you copy the counters in this kitchen, do a search for quartzite on the forum. It can be pretty finicky and staining is not uncommon.

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

rolling1876 The cabinets were Plato and color is white dove. ( not to be confused with any SW or BM paint colors). It looks more yellow on the website but it's a softer white in person. Out of curiosity I tried to see what the closest match in SW or BM paints would be, but didn't quite find one.

• rolling1876
    3 years ago

Thanks! I’m looking at chantilly lace BM and pure white SW.