Happy Cajun birthday to me!

beesneeds

I'm not much of a birthday person, except for a good dinner... 2017 was supposed to be crab feast, but I kind of broke an arm a few days before so shelling crab was out. 2018 was supposed to be a seafood boil, but I got double shifted at work, lol. Last year was supposed to be a seafood place in Wi, but then when we got there and were visiting- folks didn't want to do that, wanted to do an old diner for old times sake...

This year I ordered dinner to come to me. Since we are sort of shut in with what all is going on, my hubby encouraged me to do whatever my heart desires for this. Tentative plans early this year were a visit to New Orleans maybe for an eating weekend... so home will do.

Ordered a cooler or two of goodies like big shrimp, boudin, rice dressing and ettofue. A brown roux mix, some lady cream peas.

I got a last couple ears of corn in the freezer to toss into a boil, some fresh garlic and greens for stewing up with a bit of smoked hock out of the freezer. Maybe will do up some cornbread, for sure some rice.

What would you add to a happy birthday feast cajun style? We don't do sweets in general.

SaveComment25Like1
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jasdip

I keep hearing of shrimp boils.....corn on the cob, shrimp, crab, potatoes, all boiled together. It sounds scrumptious.

A couple of years ago I made Shrimp Etouffee. It was delicious.

Happy Birthday!!

Save    
Lars

My favorite is fried alligator tail, and I would also want fried okra and seafood gumbo. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities for food - sorry you can't make it there this year, but it is pretty hot and humid in July.

My birthday is always close to Mardi Gras (although sometimes sadly on Ash Wednesday), and I often try to go to a Cajun restaurant.

Happy Cajun Birthday!

Save    
plllog

Happy Birthday!!

I can't help with authentic Cajun. I'm remembering an old Cajun guy saying that "It's all about the oignon," but I don't even remember why, specifically.

So, lacking that, Happy Birthday, anyway!

Save    
Lars

^That would probably be Justin Wilson. I have three of his cookbooks.

2 Likes Save    
amylou321

Happy Birthday!

No help from me about food. I am in no way a fan of seafood and to me the only true birthday food is cake! Chocolate cake! So if you don't do sweets I am no help!

Save    
plllog

Thanks, Lars. Good guess, but I checked out a couple of his videos, and it's not the same guy. The oignon man didn't have the shtick or the red bow tie and suspenders, and had bushy hair.

OTOH, Beesneeds, you might want to check out some of Justin Wilson's cooking videos on YouTube, at least for amusement, and to lend an accent to your kitchen gone Cajun. :)

Save    
bcskye

Happy Birthday!!!!

Madonna

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Happy Birthday! Funny how it took a Pandemic to get the kind of birthday dinner you've been wanting. So there's the silver lining to that cloud! Another NOLA cooking program to check out would be Kevin Belton:

http://kevinbelton.wyes.org/recipes/

Save    
beesneeds

Ok, working on a lot of food plans. Probably around a weeks worth, lol. Biscuits and gravy, fried chicken on waffles with red eye gravy, shrimp or maybe oyster po'boys, crawfish fettuccini, shrimp étouffée, a shrimp and probably crab boil with the corn and taters, grilled blackened redfish- maybe a bouillabaisse too, boudin stuffed pork loin, jambalaya, tasso greens and probably tasso black eyed peas, beans and rice and dressed rice.. probably some cheesy grits and cornbread in there somewhere. Probably some cole slaws and potato salad too, lol.

3 Likes Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Happy birthday!

We did a mini shrimp boil last week. I so miss boudin. We tried to order some mid-march when they were featured in the NYTimes, 😂, so overwhelmed they stopped answering their phone. (no web-site).

Everything in your meal plan looks great. Though we always add a dozen tiny new potatoes to the boil. When just firm/tender the shrimp goes in.

I lived in NewOrleans a few years, DH 5-6. Where we met. Nephew lives there with his wife two toddlers. Musician. Lots of friends there. Had a quick trip planned for next winter...not sure about that now.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

We were posting at the same time...stretch that birthday! I used to call August my birthday 'month'.

Save    
Sherry

Don't forget the beignets! My grandparents lived in Grand Bay, Alabama and we used to go to NO all the time in the 50's & 60's. She used to make stuffed crab, except wouldn't bother putting back in the crab shells. She made a 9"x13" pan.

Save    
beesneeds

Yep, little red taters for the boil, I wouldn't think of using anything else. I gotta go the the store to get those- and some okra and sweet peppers. Wouldn't ya know it, all my hot peppers are going great, but this year it's my couple sweets that are for some reason struggling in the garden. I can't make real cajun without sweet peppers, lol.

5 pounds of U/12 shrimp come in the gift cooler I'm getting, so I do want to stretch that out into a couple dishes- a couple pounds in the boil, still thinking of tossing in a few crab legs too. A bunch of them for the po'boys- those are a fave of my hubby, so for sure what to do that too. I gotta get the rolls for those too.

I was kicking around the notion of making a muffuletta too- got a fresh jar of the mix in the pantry :) But I haven't been able to find the bread recipe I used to use years ago, and not sure what new bread recipe to try, lol.

Save    
Lars

Here's a muffuletta I made

I cheated and used a Kaiser roll (sourdough would have been better), but for me the main thing is to have Mortadella. I make my own muffuletta mix with a jar of Giardiniera that I chop finely with extra olives plus oregano (fresh or dried), thyme, and olive oil. I really should bake my own bread for this, but ciabatta is a good substitute, although not exactly the correct shape.

I wasn't able to start chili seeds this year, but the plants from last year are going pretty strong and are already making new chilies - just not as many as the first year. They would do better if I planted them in the ground, but then it would be difficult to control the weeds. I need to add new soil to their pots. I have a lot of gardening that I need to do right now.

I also make deviled crab in a 9x13 pan. Beignets are also quick and easy to make.

Save    
beesneeds

Heh, I used to my my mufeletta bread in a 9" cake and to make sure it was right size, shape, and bread texture. I wouldn't have thought of a kaiser roll since it's too small, crumbly, and can't really be pressed well.

But I know I got the dough recipe somewhere in one of my notebooks, I just gotta find the right one, lol. I'm missing a chunk of other recipes too, so I think they are all hiding in the same place :)

2 Likes Save    
Sherry

I REALLY want to come celebrate with you. I'm sure we can come up with at least 90 other meals!

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Your extended birthday feast sounds great. I look forward to updates. HB,BN!!!

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

beesneeds - what, no crawfish in the boil? I guess they are a couple months out of season by now anyway.

Save    
beesneeds

Nope, no crawfish in the boil, I opted for the shrimp that came in the gift cooler and not the extra expensive crawfish separate... and we got frozen ones around here, but meh, I opted for crab instead.

Some of the first crab is tonight- a bunch of giant crab legs with a side of summer squash and some stuffed mushrooms.

Save    
annie1992

beesneeds, a very happy belated birthday, sorry I'm late to the party!

I hope you enjoyed those crab legs last night!

Annie

Save    
Islay Corbel

Happy belated birthday to you! Enjoy your feast!

Save    
Susan Tencza

@Jasdip. . Low Country Boil is what you are talking about . . and yes very yummy! @beesneeds we had plans to meet 2 of hubbys kids in NO but had to cancel the trip. With everywhere I have been, I had never gotten to visit there, just drove by on the highway on the way to someplace else.

Save    
bbstx

Bread Pudding for dessert!!! This recipe was given to me by a dear friend’s mother who swore it was the recipe from Bon Ton Cafe.

ETA: just read that you don’t do sweets. This recipe probably isn’t for you then because it is sweeeeet! But I’ll leave it up anyway, just in case you decide to go crazy on your birthday.

Save    
beesneeds

So, looks like birthday dinner really will be a month long, lol. I thought the cooler box would show up last week- then I was informed short of a couple things :( I approved to have the box sent anyway.

Turns out the weekend delay meant it sent it out complete anyway, it arrived today! What they were short on got subbed out with other stuff, kind of better stuff too :)

A bit late in the day to start cooking from the cooler- stuff was still pretty well frozen when I opened it up, but tomorrow is going to be the shrimp boil- those things are frigging HUGE! Some shrimp, little red potatoes, and a few chunks of cob corn, seasoning mix- gonna keep it simple, cook it on an outdoor burner since it's gonna be hot :)

The delay turned out to be a bit of a blessing too, lol. While on the delay, I did act on the notion of making up a batch of muffuletta olive stuff. Turned out I already had everything on hand to make a nice batch of the stuff. And it used up a bunch of jars sucking up space in the fridge down to one big jar to boot!

I think I might have found my lost bread recipe too- not the handwritten one, but an online sidetrack that correlates to some previous research. Turns out I may have been looking in the wrong place, name, and time from what I thought. I'll let folks know if the bread from "hunters pressed round" turns out to be that missing recipe, lol.

Save    
Jasdip

Homemade muffaletta mix?? That got my attention!

Sleeve, you mentioned August is your birthday month. Mine too! :-)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Happy Birthday, Marilyn Monroe
Celebrate the ever-enthralling Hollywood star with artwork, furniture and fabrics sporting her unforgettable image
Full Story
Events Happy Birthday, Rembrandt: Peek Inside the Dutch Painter’s Former House
The famous Dutch painter surrounded himself with expensive artwork and rare antiquities, which led to a foreclosure on his house
Full Story
Great Designers Happy Birthday to the Saarinens! Design Words of Wisdom to Celebrate
Eero and Eliel Saarinen share a birthday and the design world's admiration. Let's consider some of their insight in honor of the day
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More