SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilhaines

Azalea Questions - Central Indiana Zone 5-6

Wil Haines
3 years ago

Hello. I'm new to azalea's and rhododendrons. The questions that I have are how much to water, fertilize, etc. The 1st and 2nd photo show a rhododendron that is yellowing on the lower part of the plant. The 3rd photo is another of the same plant, but seems to be doing much better although I'm beginning to see some minor (at this point) yellowing of this plant as well. The 1st and 2nd photos (same plant) are in a flat mulched area 4-5 feet away from the foundation. The 3rd is 10' away and is located on the top of a mounded area. I've only added azalea food in the spring, but have faithfully watered the plants all spring and summer. I water around each plant and try to keep water off of the plant as I water. Is the yellowing due to too much water, too little water, or something else, i.e., lack of fertilizer. The 4th photo is an azalea that was planted this late spring and appears to be thriving, but not without the brown spots on the leaves most of the summer.

The 4th photo (azalea) seems to thrive best when it is watered thoroughly, but I thought maybe it was being watered too much and this might be causing the brown spots on the leaves. The 5th photo is the same plant and I couldn't figure out how to delete it. All the plants get 80% sunlight and face toward the south, south-east. I also have an irrigation system and when the Kentucky bluegrass lawn is watered, these plants get watered as well. I usually water late in the afternoon, early evening, or at night. I try to deep water the lawn once a week and fill-in otherwise as it seems to need water. We had two hard damaging frosts this spring and I was surprised that the plants survived. We have also had a very hot period during the past 3-4 weeks with only an occasional light or medium-light rain. I've also attached a photo showing the 1st, 2nd (Same plant), and the 3rd rhododendron. The 4th is not visible and it in the front of the home. Thank you for any suggestions.

Comments (6)