SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_781134302

Worried about asbestos exposure from a while ago.

So, for background, I am currently 23 years old. When I was around 15, my mom and step dad did a DIY kitchen renovation. Apparently our kitchen floor tiles contained asbestos, which I didn’t know about until recently. My step dad knew there was asbestos in the tiles, but did not properly remove them. He removed the tiles by destroying them, and described a “cloud of asbestos” to me.

When I asked him if he at least properly cleaned up the particles that would have been released, he said yes. I sort of doubt that he properly cleaned it up, based on his mishandling of the removal itself and his general relaxed attitude towards asbestos exposure.

It seems unlikely to me that breaking the tiles would have released a cloud of purely asbestos. The dust was most likely a mixture of the tile material with some asbestos, right?

I am still pretty concerned about the exposure I possibly received. I don’t think I was actually in the house when he removed the tiles, but I fear that I was exposed to whatever fibers would have floated around the house. We lived there for about two years or so after the renovation. My two young brothers were born during that time, so I fear for their health as well.

Does anyone know how long the asbestos fibers could float around the house? Would those two years of living there post-renovation constitute chronic exposure due to asbestos in the air, or would the fibers clear out eventually?

Comments (10)