SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_adams59

Asbestos - worried about exposure

Dave Adams
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi,

I am in the process of having a home that was built in 1966 remodeled. I had a crew come in and remove carpeting and didn't know that there were 9" x 9" tiles underneath that another contractor is confident are asbestos. The carpet removal crew didn't disturb the asbestos tile in any way that I could notice, except perhaps when they used scrapers to remove the tack strips around the perimeter.

I spent about an hour in the home when the carpet removal was going on without a mask and generally not in the area where the carpet removal was taking place. The patio door and front door was left open for part of the time. When the carpet crew left, there was a yellow dust from the carpet pad that needed to be swept up. I gently swept up the dust in a few spots with a broom and dustpan and held my breath when I had to bend over to sweep the dust into the pan. I walked 6 to 10 feet away to take breaths in between sweeping into the dustpan.

There were also 12" x 12" tiles in the kitchen that were of the peel and stick variety that the flooring contractor removed by dry scraping I believe. He was confident that they were vinyl and did not contain asbestos. The black colored plywood in the picture below is where these tiles were removed. A day or two after these tiles were removed I did the same sweep/hold breath for about 20 minutes to pick up pieces of carpet. The floor was tacky still so not much dust was coming up from what I could tell.

I have an company that can come out today to test for asbestos in the air and am thinking of doing this for peace of mind. I am also planning to send samples of the both the 9" x 9" and 12" x 12" tile to be tested for asbestos to be sure.

I have read that the worst type of exposure from asbestos is when tiles are sanded, buffed, etc. Do I need to be worried about my expsoure to asbestos during the situations above? I have read other posts that makes it seem like the exposure I may have had is very likely to be small to none but can't help worrying about it. Thank you!

Dave

p.s. Yesterday the flooring crew removed a half row of the tile along the perimeter where the tile was cracked, either from the tack strip removal or maybe they were broken previously when the tack strips where installed? The picture below shows the tile and the perimeter area where the tile was removed and patched. They mentioned wetting the floor down so think they did this prior to removing the half row, but checking on this. I am don't even want to go back to the house but realize I am very likely overworrying about this.

Comments (7)