SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephlclc

Worried about asbestos

7 years ago

Hi!

I know this has been asked many many times but I'm wondering about my specific situation. I tore old carpeting out of my back hallway (3 small steps and a tiny 3x3ft landing). It came up very easily as it was already coming up from wear. What I didn't realize is there was very old sheet flooring underneath which came up with the carpeting by accident! The sheet flooring had a burlap/jute backing but no padding or anything underneath. It broke in a couple places but most came up as a large piece (came up super easy, no tools or scraping at all). After the fact, I started to wonder if there was asbestos! I have 2 young kids at home who at one moment ran over to see what I was doing, I made them leave right away. Anyway, I sent a sample to be tested but won't have it back for another few day. Is there something I should be doing in case there was asbestos in those materials I pulled up? So far I wiped the floor with a damp washcloth and used a shopvac with hepa filter over it all. Is it possible we're tracking the dust? This is a high traffic area that we have to use to go in and out of the house. Also, if there was asbestos, was this job big enough to worry about health issues? Everything came up in only a couple minutes with no tools or scraping at all. Any insight would be very helpful while I wait for results. Signed, worried mom!

Comments (6)