SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hikinganne

Help! Our flooring guy won't install correctly, & he's a creepy jerk.

hikinganne
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We've got a local company beginning an install of 1800 sq.ft. of COREtec LVP. Two young guys showed up an hour late today and the guy in charge (the other guy is new) immediately started complaining about the job. He said the flooring wasn't prepped properly (we're paying them to do that), there was too much furniture (most was moved out due to a flood that precipitated the need for new flooring, and the rest the company owner told us was no problem), he didn't bring enough vapor barrier for a job this big, and he didn't like all the columns he had to go around (only 2 holding up the basement ceiling). He stomped around complaining and then asked to use the bathroom. I ran upstairs to grab something, and when I came back down the guy was in the bathroom, door wide open, peeing right in front of me! Side note, he did not flush nor wash.

After that awesome start, they left to get more vapor barrier, and upon returning began the install. When they left for lunch 2 hours later, I went down to peek. Three rows were in, and right away I could see a repeat in the pattern. I know a synthetic product will have some issues with this, and COREtec tries hard to alleviate repeats by cutting matching boards at different lengths (and I paid for the good stuff so this would be less of a problem). The problem is, the Noble Oak we chose has a very distinct large 7-inch knot which was not on the sample. The installers had lined up the knot on parallel boards, not once but twice within a few feet of each other (so 4 knots total). After they returned from lunch, I pointed out the knots and asked that they be reinstalled further apart and that moving forward, they try to space the knots better. The guy went beserk! He said I didn't know what I was talking about, that I chose the wrong product, that that was normal for LVP, that it would take too long, that he was the professional and I was a housewife, that there was no possible way to prevent the pattern, and so on. I politely reaffirmed my desire to have the knots spread out and went upstairs. For the next 20 minutes I listened to my new flooring being thrown loudly around the room. Then, at 1:30 in the afternoon, the guys left out the backdoor without a word and I haven't heard from them since. The flooring is in the room, but all their tools and equipment are gone.

I'm paying a lot for this flooring and install but I do not want that guy back in my house. I have signed no contract with the flooring company because it's all through the remediation company my insurance hired, even though I'm paying extra out-of-pocket for the COREtec. The flood was in February and we've waited this long (mid-July) for the flooring guys to show up. Nobody else in town sells COREtec.

What do I do now?

Comments (12)