SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Fireplace install saga #3--Mr. Jerk is gone!

breezygirl
13 years ago

Here's the latest in my fireplace install nightmare.

DH got back yesterday. Independently of each other, we both decided that we didn't want to have anything more to do with the rudeness and anger of Mr. Installer. We have no idea what kind of workmanship he would use in taking apart the existing framing and reframing. That is why I asked him to pay my framing crew to do the work. We also decided there was the very real possibility that he would not reframe the walls and box correctly. If there was a problem with his finished product at all, he has shown us that he would not take responsibility for his work and correct any problems. I could see the headache of dealing with him stretching out for weeks longer and getting more convoluted.

DH left a v.m. at the fireplace store to have Mr. Installer plan to pick up the fireplace this morning instead of him reframing the box the unit sits on and the walls surrounding the unit. We spoke with our neighborhood security officer who agreed to come to the house when Mr. Jerk came.

DH went to the house this morning. Mr. Jerk was late and showed up with his 8-9 y.o. son. He removed the fireplace and loaded it onto his truck. He did not offer to refund our deposit. He sped away in his truck driving in a reckless manner on our small street. Just then, our neighborhood security officer came down the street with two city police cars. After hearing about the anger being displayed by Mr. Jerk in our communications, our security officer had called the police department and asked for back-up as he was also concerned about what Mr. Rude might do to us, our property, or the neighborhood property. Mr. Rude apparently was quite shocked to see the cops and security. He slowed his truck and drove away.

As an aside, I learned from our contractor's framing crew that when he was at the house on Wednesday to install the fireplace, he and/or his employee knocked over the mailbox post next door to our house. Mr. Jerk and/or his employee propped the post up to cover what they had done, but they did not report this to us or to the neighbor.

The bottom line is we only returned the fireplace because Mr. Rude refused to be responsible for it being installed improperly and to fix the problems correctly. His offer to do the work of reframing the fireplace box was not an acceptable offer of resolution because he is not qualified to do that work. He left us with only two options. One option was to accept the fireplace with the leak in the wrong framing because of his mistakes. The other option was to allow him to do the construction work he is NOT qualified to do in order to fix the framing in a way that may or may not have been structurally sound. Neither of these options is acceptable.

I filed a Visa dispute form with my credit union this afternoon to get our money back. We would like the entire deposit refunded. We did not return the unit because we changed our minds about wanting it, which would mean paying a 20% restocking fee. We wanted the fireplace, but the terms under which we had to accept it from Mr, Jerk were not fair business practice in my mind.

We will now have to pay ourselves to have the new fireplace box and walls rebuilt correctly. Framer estimated this would cost a miminum of $240. We are also actively seeking to buy that same Napoleon fireplace from another local dealer. DH called Napoleon this morning to report the problems we've experienced. He has so far not received a phone call back. DH is hoping to get Napoleon to pay for the cost of reframing. His job requires him to be a hardnose and negotiate money deals, so I'm hoping he can put his skills to good work here. Anyway, I'm glad Mr. Jerk is gone. I feel a weight lifted off my shoulders. Despite my food poisoning problems from some Thai food yesterday, I feel sooooo much better!

Comments (18)