SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_102403966

Hardwood floors sticky/tacky no matter what I do!

Barbara Cummings
3 years ago

I’m in day 3 of Googling and experimenting and still haven’t found a fix! HELP PLEASE! We moved into a rental last week with sticky hardwood floors (they feel tacky/unclean when you’re in socks, and when you’re barefoot, your feet make a “stick” noise if you stand in the same spot for 10 seconds). The floor looks like low-gloss, engineered red oak, according to Google (the landlord says they were put in two years ago but doesn’t know the finish/seal/type, anything).

We wetjetted the night we moved in with Swiffer’s hardwood cleaner (as we always did with our old hardwood floors) and the pads were BLACK with dirt. We had to do three rounds of cleaning before the pads were white. But the floors still felt tacky. A woodworking friend said maybe the cleaner left a residue, so try cleaning with just water. We did two rounds—still tacky. We figured maybe the previous tenants used something weird on them, so we used 1:4 vinegar water mixture with a few drops of gentle dish soap. Did a round with that and a microfiber towel. Still no change.

When you run your nails over the floors, they feel almost gummy, even though nothing actually comes up when you scratch with your nail or with the edge of a coin. Do we just give up? Our landlord is currently unresponsive for larger issues, so sticky floors won’t be his priority. Any idea what’s going on? (This photo shows you absolutely nothing helpful—you can’t see the “sticky,” but I felt like I should show visual representation regardless ha.)

Comments (10)