SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucystar1

Looking for advice on cataract surgery

LucyStar1
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am 71 years old. I need cataract surgery on my right eye. It was a fast-growing cataract. I’ve learned that there are two types of cataracts---one that grows fast and one that grows slowly. I don’t have any of the risk factors for the fast-growing kind (use of steroids, diabetes, smoking). Nonetheless, that is what happened in my right eye. My left eye also has a cataract, but it is not big enough for surgery, and may not need surgery for years. I am very near-sighted and the doctor has said that he will improve the vision in my eye with the cataract, but he cannot give me perfect vision in that eye because my brain would not adjust to one eye with perfect vision and one eye being so near-sighted.

I will get a new glasses prescription 30 days after surgery.

He did say that I could try to get a waiver from Medicare to have my left eye done, even though it doesn't need it now. Then he could give me 20/20 vision in both eyes. I told him that I was not going to pursue that. I am reluctant to have elective surgery on my left eye because even though cataract surgery is generally safe, all surgery can have adverse outcomes. I did not ask him what was the likelihood that Medicare would approve getting my left eye done now.

My sister had cataract surgery on both eyes (she needed it badly on both eyes, could barely see at all when she had it done) and she now has perfect vision. She thinks I should have both eyes done.

I have worn glasses since I was eight years old. I have never had good vision even corrected with glasses. When I was in my 30’s and 40’s I wore contact lenses and I realized what good vision was. I haven’t worn contacts in years because I have dry eye syndrome. I don’t mind wearing glasses. In my younger years, I would have liked not to have to wear them for vanity reasons. But now that I am older, I don’t feel that way.

The other thing is, with both eyes corrected I would end up using readers. Both my sister and sister-in-law use readers. If I hand my sister something to read it’s always “Wait a minute, I have to get my glasses”. In a restaurant, they have to get out the glasses to read a menu. They have glasses all over the house. I honestly don’t want to do that. I can’t imagine going in to a store and having to pull out glasses to read a label or price. I am on my laptop a lot while I watch TV. Not sure how that would work. If I needed both eyes done now, of course I would have them corrected to 20/20 vision and would use readers.

I do know what perfect vision is like, because my vision was crystal clear wearing contacts. It was a huge difference. Maybe because I have never had great vision, I am under-estimating how great it would be to be able to see without glasses (at least for distance vision).

If anyone has been in a similar situation, please advise. Were you able to get a Medicare waiver, or know anyone who has? Had a partial vision improvement with cataract surgery? Have you had complications or know anyone who has? Would you do elective cataract surgery on an eye that doesn’t need it now?

Thanks.

Comments (15)