SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lwfromny

MUA Help - PLEASE

lwfromny
3 years ago

I am so confused about this topic. I have an upcoming remodel and am at the point where I need to order appliances pretty soon or my job will be delayed. I have thoroughly read all the MUA discussions I can find and I just am not able to figure out (a) what size hood I need and (b) whether I need MUA and why. I am purchasing a 36" range for a home that is not super tight but definitely not drafty, in the Northeast. I rarely cook (just a few times a month at most), and would almost never be using more than two burners at once. My county has no requirement for an makeup air, regardless of CFM.

Clearly I need to find some professional advice for my situation, but I don't know what qualifications the person needs to have. Appliance stores are no help - they all tell me all I need for a 36 inch range is a 33 or 34" x 18 or 19" aperture and 600 cfm, with no MUA. According to all the posts I've read here, that is inadequate and unsafe (although I don't understand why it's unsafe). The other day I heard from one sales manager: "Do you live in XX county? No? That's great - they are requiring MUA for 400 CFM or higher, so you're lucky you don't live there." Hmmm...

So my questions are:

1. Why is MUA needed from a safety perspective? CO2? Fire? Something else? Not to be naive, but can I just open a window instead, especially given the fact that my cooking is low and infrequent use?

2. What type of professional should advise me on this? Do I call my HVAC service provider? I doubt they have an HVAC engineer, but they are family owned and successful for 40 years, and their techs are very good. I trust them to give good advice on heating and cooling, but I don't know if that qualifies them to help with this. And on top of that it is can be to get a sales or service call from any HVAC company in my area right now, and I can't wait that long to order my appliances or I risk my job being delayed.

I had no idea all this was even a thing until I stumbled across it on Houzz while researching ranges. Neither my designer nor my contractor have said anything about it despite knowing I was installing a 36" range. My cabinets will be custom, and so will my hood surround, so I need to resolve this soon. Thank you to anyone who can help with this!

Comments (12)